Open questions to ASL students

let me correct myself..

Lab_Rats.jpg
:aw:

The first sign language teacher I had was a CODA who taught it thru a community class at the YMCA. (This was before ASL was even called "ASL.") She took the initiative to invite all the students to her house for snacks and to meet some deaf people. Those deaf people happened to be the founding members of the Theater of the Deaf! :jaw:

Just a little intimidating for a shy high schooler in a first level signing class. (Make that a LOT intimidating, heh, heh.)

The meeting went well; the theater actors were very down to earth and friendly, and patient with us students.

How do you think people learned ASL before the advent of the Internet?

Even more to the point, how do students learn ASL without asking for homework help from AllDeaf members? Is it possible? ;)

Suppose you meet a Deaf person in public and have to communicate on the spot without getting web help--can you do it?

Training one's brain to think conceptually, to process in ASL is the key. Training one's brain happens thru repetition and trial-and-error. (Repetition seems to be verboten in today's education.)

That isn't to say that asking for help is completely out of the question. It means asking for help only for specific stumbling blocks, and only after making a serious attempt at self-resolution first.

Of course, it depends on whether or not you're seeking help just to get a good grade, or you really want to learn how to communicate in ASL.

One last question--I'm curious--when you (the student) need "help" writing an English paper or taking a math exam, do you ask strangers on the Internet to do your work for you?

:hmm:

I suppose I could, even if I haven't signed much around deafies lately. :lol:
The words/signs I see on the internet is a gentle reminder of how much I do not know, and I am more concerned with how one would sign if his/her only source of information is from the internet. I've had a couple students whip out their phones to find the right sign in their "conversations" with me, and I could only wwish there were lessons in syntax. :hmm:

Although I'm just a hearie, I can totally understand your frustration. There are many things I don't understand, but that's why I'm here. I'm also involved with the Deaf Community at church, and sometimes I feel like a real goof when I sign wrong, or don't understand. But, I'm trying. I only get to see my church buddies a couple times a week, but I can bug you all everyday. Ha ha Thanks for having this forum though, even when us hearies are annoying. Lol

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using AllDeaf App mobile app

This is an across-the-board routine with a lot of students, no matter what the subject. They've gone through the school system being spoon fed answers, and when it comes to critical thinking skills, or figuring out how to do something on their own, they lack the ability to do it, because they never have.
I joined All Deaf to expand my knowledge base, so I mostly read, I don't post much, and being a hearing person learning ASL, and entering an Interpreter program in the fall, I often feel I don't have the background, or that it's not my place, to comment.
As to the glossing of songs, I don't personally see the point, as the rhythm of a song's lyrics often don't translate fluidly, it makes more sense to re-tell traditional ASL stories, and maybe put your own elaborations on them? I always love a good ABC story!

Can I ask.... do students think it's okay to butt into conversations we're having with friends to show off that they know ASL, or is this just every A$$ muffin ASL student I run into? Seriously, in grocery stores, out having lunch, on campus... doesn't matter! They just charge right the hell in to the conversation to say the most random crap to show boat that they know a little ASL... It can't be just me that this happens to... ( I know I have talked to friends it happens to as well ) but it's PROFOUNDLY annoying... I get very rude with them and they act surprised about it... That's my question... also, me telling you to not do that... you should not do that if you do... don't do it... just... don't do it....

thumb_big_iphone_6c53bde916684a795f26c0216388f201.jpg

Can I ask.... do students think it's okay to butt into conversations we're having with friends to show off that they know ASL, or is this just every A$$ muffin ASL student I run into?

I must have a had a good series of ASL teachers. We were never asked to translate songs nor go out and survey people in the Deaf community. Instead we had an "Implications of Deafness" class in which members of the HOH and Deaf community came in and spoke about their life experiences.

Additionally, we were given two golden rules in the first ASL class. 1)If you see people signing, don't stare; that's eavesdropping. 2)Don't run up to every Deaf person just to say you can sign. If you haven't got a real reason to strike up a conversation, don't. (and remember rule #1)

It wasn't until ASL 3 that the class was invited to go the local Deaf Club (with the teacher). Also in that class, it was made clear that although we could carry on a conversation in ASL we were NOT at interpreter level. We were also warned that if the local BOCES tried to hire us as interpreters for the mainstreaming programs to decline, because the fastest way to get a bad name in the Deaf community was to be an incompetent interpreter.

I must have a had a good series of ASL teachers. We were never asked to translate songs nor go out and survey people in the Deaf community. Instead we had an "Implications of Deafness" class in which members of the HOH and Deaf community came in and spoke about their life experiences.

Additionally, we were given two golden rules in the first ASL class. 1)If you see people signing, don't stare; that's eavesdropping. 2)Don't run up to every Deaf person just to say you can sign. If you haven't got a real reason to strike up a conversation, don't. (and remember rule #1)

It wasn't until ASL 3 that the class was invited to go the local Deaf Club (with the teacher). Also in that class, it was made clear that although we could carry on a conversation in ASL we were NOT at interpreter level. We were also warned that if the local BOCES tried to hire us as interpreters for the mainstreaming programs to decline, because the fastest way to get a bad name in the Deaf community was to be an incompetent interpreter.

That's so nice... I wish more teachers like that were around here... :mad: Can we clone people yet!? I'd like a machine!!! Need that mentality in ASL classes please!!! Your teacher sounded fantastic, good attitude and spot on! *applauds*

Can I ask.... do students think it's okay to butt into conversations we're having with friends to show off that they know ASL, or is this just every A$$ muffin ASL student I run into? Seriously, in grocery stores, out having lunch, on campus... doesn't matter! They just charge right the hell in to the conversation to say the most random crap to show boat that they know a little ASL... It can't be just me that this happens to... ( I know I have talked to friends it happens to as well ) but it's PROFOUNDLY annoying... I get very rude with them and they act surprised about it... That's my question... also, me telling you to not do that... you should not do that if you do... don't do it... just... don't do it....

Hmmm... I must be the only one who doesn't find this annoying. Unless they were being nice like "Sorry, I didn't mean to bother you but I noticed you were signing and I know a little bit of ASL, but still learning" and blahblahblah. I just find it a great way to meet new friends. Some of them are scared to go up to a deaf person and spark a conversation with them, but at least they're trying to learn our language to be able to communicate with us fluently and efficiently, so I appreciate that. Maybe I'm super nice. :dunno:

Hmmm... I must be the only one who doesn't find this annoying. Unless they were being nice like "Sorry, I didn't mean to bother you but I noticed you were signing and I know a little bit of ASL, but still learning" and blahblahblah. I just find it a great way to meet new friends. Some of them are scared to go up to a deaf person and spark a conversation with them, but at least they're trying to learn our language to be able to communicate with us fluently and efficiently, so I appreciate that. Maybe I'm super nice. :dunno:

Kiss me, you fool!

If people are scare of going up to a deaf person then what are they doing learning ASL in the first place ???

I'm curious--ASL students are always being encouraged to interact with Deaf people--so, how are they supposed to meet Deaf people?

I'm curious--ASL students are always being encouraged to interact with Deaf people--so, how are they supposed to meet Deaf people?

In my hometown here, my three friends who happen to be ASL teacher at college. One of them told me that students complained to her that they dislike going to the panera bread where the Deaf people get gathering or some places like Deaf club because they all are older than students. Students said, " i dont see anyone who are my age or 30's or 40s. where are they???" My friend was choked, and explained that most of those ages are very busy on their own, not the type of getting together. I admit that I hate going to the Deaf club or meet at panrea bread. BUT lots of deaf kids who are learning how to speak, and not allowed to know ASL tend to interact with hearing people, more than being with deaf people.

Can I ask.... do students think it's okay to butt into conversations we're having with friends to show off that they know ASL, or is this just every A$$ muffin ASL student I run into?

Might be a show of inexperience, too. My dad (no ASL or Deaf culture knowledge) once tried to force me into eavesdropping on two deaf guys at the mall, and my mom (late-deaf, same knowledge as my dad) once encouraged me to go up to two deaf ladies in a Walmart. I have no problem talking with deaf people, but I'm not just randomly gonna walk up to 'em while they're in the midst of shopping and talking to each other to go "hey, you don't know me, but I can sign!"

That's so nice... I wish more teachers like that were around here... :mad: Can we clone people yet!? I'd like a machine!!! Need that mentality in ASL classes please!!! Your teacher sounded fantastic, good attitude and spot on! *applauds*

My college ASL classes were like that, taken at the same time as Deaf History classes and such.

In my HS class, we signed a song when some of us volunteered for a multicultural festival (given our timeslot, it was as good as we could do to bring ASL to the hearing people there...), but it wasn't really a thing in our class other than the national anthem once. All my teachers were deaf in all the ASL classes.

I myself like seeing on occasion if I can get songs to look good in ASL, but I rarely gloss them, and I even more rarely actually sign them, especially in video form. Strangely, if I get the urge... it's usually around this time of year.:hmm::aw:

Love this view point. I myself am nervous to approach deaf people and sign. I used to be terrified lol. I guess it is just because I am not fluent. As I progress it gets easier. I think the best thing I did to fix this was going to a deaf event with an interpreter friend of mine at a club. I was mashed in the center of like 100 deaf people just chatting it up and I was forced into communicating basically lol. That was interesting with the music blasting and signing with deaf people. I loved it though. I had nothing but good experiences and met great people.

Might be a show of inexperience, too. My dad (no ASL or Deaf culture knowledge) once tried to force me into eavesdropping on two deaf guys at the mall, and my mom (late-deaf, same knowledge as my dad) once encouraged me to go up to two deaf ladies in a Walmart. I have no problem talking with deaf people, but I'm not just randomly gonna walk up to 'em while they're in the midst of shopping and talking to each other to go "hey, you don't know me, but I can sign!"

My college ASL classes were like that, taken at the same time as Deaf History classes and such.

In my HS class, we signed a song when some of us volunteered for a multicultural festival (given our timeslot, it was as good as we could do to bring ASL to the hearing people there...), but it wasn't really a thing in our class other than the national anthem once. All my teachers were deaf in all the ASL classes.

I myself like seeing on occasion if I can get songs to look good in ASL, but I rarely gloss them, and I even more rarely actually sign them, especially in video form. Strangely, if I get the urge... it's usually around this time of year.:hmm::aw:

Oh no absolutely! I have no issues having people come up to meet at an event or gathering and meeting me! That's what they're for after all! ( Weekly here we have a Deaf meetup at Starbucks :D ) My thing is, while I am out grocery shopping ( with a friend or relative, whoever! ) doing my daily errands and what not... I am not in the mood to just randomly have people come up and start conversing with me and "show off" their "knowledge" of whatever. I don't care if it's ASL or that they know how to make a superglue out of snot! I want to get my errands done so I can go home, change and relax or get to the fun time of my evening and not be doing... errands! Who wants to be held up doing errands? :roll: I don't want to be held up, and I certainly don't want people butting into my conversation rudely especially when it's to interact with me to "show off" essentially that they're in ASL 1 at whatever high school or college that I'm unfortunately surrounded by. That is my issue. By all means, at a meet up... no problems... that's what they're for. In public... omgerd... more irritating than I can possibly describe in writing. :mad:

Yeah, the one time I ever went up to deaf people in public when it wasn't specifically an event or something was after the multicultural festival I mentioned. My ASL teacher and a friend of his were at Starbucks and my dad, in a rare streak of generosity, took me to Starbucks. I wasn't expecting to see them, so I went up, said hey, and then got a frappucino. XP But if either or both of them had been shopping or doing something else mundane, I wouldn't have said anything, and that's people I knew, for crying out loud.

At events/meetups? Sure. (I struck up convos with people during dead spots while working concessions last year all the time.) Out-and-about? Not unless it's something both parties are okay with beforehand. (For instance, you see someone you know and they see you and you both start talking; this is not likely to happen if you are an ASL 1 student and you see a random deaf person. Then again, at the same time, one of my roommates struck up a conversation with a random deaf guy when he was having trouble finding something in a store and she signed to him when he asked her (but she also was in ASL 3, not 1).)

Those of us from the hearing world will say "HI" to a stranger just in passing not starting a real conversation. Do you do this with sign as well? (I am late deafened and the only one in my bunch with more than a minimal loss.)

Those of us from the hearing world will say "HI" to a stranger just in passing not starting a real conversation.

I think that varies quite a bit depending on location/culture. I never say 'hello' to random strangers, nor does anyone else where I live. We just go about our business. In fact, when Walmart came to our area they were the only store that had a designated "greeter". Now, they no longer have them here; they just weren't seen as useful because it's not something we do.

I think that varies quite a bit depending on location/culture. I never say 'hello' to random strangers, nor does anyone else where I live. We just go about our business. In fact, when Walmart came to our area they were the only store that had a designated "greeter". Now, they no longer have them here; they just weren't seen as useful because it's not something we do.
In South Carolina, it's rude not to greet strangers. We don't greet everyone passing by on a busy crowded street but otherwise, we acknowledge individuals that we pass.

Back