Open House

Sunryze

Reaction score
Ughhh.. I feel terrible. My daughter wanted me to go to open house last night and I outright refused.
Last year was a nightmare. The school was packed full of parents, teachers and students and I couldn't hear a word anyone said to me. I had a full blown panic attack and left in tears.
She said she understood and maybe I'll have the CI by next year but I could see she was disappointed.
I feel so guilty that I can't be there for her more.

The school is legally responsible for providing an interpreter for a deaf parent at open houses, meetings, etc.

No disrespect intended, but by avoiding attending a function that your daughter wanted you to attend with her only gives her the message that a personw ithout hearing cannot function. She will adopt the same attititude towards you and others. Likewise, by waiting on a CI to attend these functions, you loose valuable time in interacting with your daughter. You will likely have the same problems with background noise, etc. that you have without CI. It is not a devise that magically makes everything clear.

Oh no...I hate that...My son will have open house on October 1st. I'll meet his teacher for 1st time. I am sorry you went thru like that. :( You could set up a meeting with teacher alone?

Oh no...I hate that...My son will have open house on October 1st. I'll meet his teacher for 1st time. I am sorry you went thru like that. :( You could set up a meeting with teacher alone?

Ask the school in advance for a terp. They have to provide one.

Back