ooVoo and HOVRS

SweetOrchid

Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about ooVoo and HOVRS

Someone told me that either one of those program allows you to talk to up to 6 people at the same time with webcam and how does that work?

SweetOrchid, I write for ooVooworld, the unofficial WOM world for ooVoo, so I can answer any questions you have :)

ooVoo is a free video chat download that lets you chat to up to 6 people simultaneously through a webcam, and send them one-minute video messages too (like a video email). All you need to do is go to ooVoo - Free Video Conferencing and Video Messaging and click on the download button, it will download ooVoo to your desktop. Plug in your webcam and it will recognise it automatically. You then need to invite people to become your ooVoo friends or search for people already on there, and as soon as you have found them, you can start talking.

There are good tutorial videos on the ooVoo homepage to explain this so check them out and let me know how you get on. If you want to test it out, you can add me as your first friend and give me a call. My username is ooVooMolly.

Hope this helps.

Molly: does oovoo world operate on a proprietary network, or does it use H323
(or another video conferencing standard)?

Does anyone know anything about ooVoo and HOVRS

Someone told me that either one of those program allows you to talk to up to 6 people at the same time with webcam and how does that work?

I've use oovoo several times. It is very nice. It's just like AIM on video. You can click one of ur buddy who are online and it'll pop up video first thing if your friend accept invitation. You can have up to 6 buddies on oovoo for chatroom. Video varies on internet speed, CPU and webcam.

I use Logitech Fusion camera. It ran smoothly. My friend happen to own Logitech 4000 Pro and it was slow and choppy. Later he asked me if he can swap my camera for his. Sure thing!! I swapped and played with his Logitech 4000 pro on my fast laptop. I realized the video still the same. It turned out that camera which is a CCD doesn't do well with new videochat software. My Quickcam Fusion is a High Quality CMOS and it ran smooth and effortlessly on oovoo during chat.

I actually encourage you to try download oovoo and sign up. It's free!! Tell any of ur friends or families who have webcam and broadband. It is very very easy to setup. You'll realized it's very similiar to AIM buddylist. It won't connect to AIM, Yahoo, MSN messager, ICQ or any Instant Messaging program. It ONLY works with oovoo.

As for HOVRS. It DOES have personal chat w/ ur friends by using IP address. But I had a BIG issue with HOVRS.. WHY!!?? because I am behind Router and It would not receive calls from friend. I can call my friend using IP addess of THEIR VP100 or 200 and it'll work. But anyone try connect w/ me on HOVRS WOULD NOT work. Router's gateway was the biggest issue I have and cannot get it working. There are NO information on tip and tricks in Google to "bypass" router in order to get pure IP address rather than Assigned IP address from router. I found COUPLE software that would bypass it but it cost $$'s. Not worth it.

OOVOO software BYPASSES gateway and it works very well on both ways. So that's what the difference between OOVOO and HOVRS.

So DON'T be a chicken to download Oovoo!! Do it and you'll like it. But I must warn you that you may expect some video get choppy sometime due to internet traffic ect.. Choppy video come and goes duirng chat. BUT some other day it stays smoooth like sailing calm sea. IT does have 'warning" message to tell you that the internet traffic or any other issue that may slow down the oovoo video.

If you want to make video screen bigger, click on upper right corner "square" button on window (between "-" and "X") and it'll expand and video size follows expansion. Nice!!
I hope you sastify my qq's

Thanks
Catty

Molly: does oovoo world operate on a proprietary network, or does it use H323
(or another video conferencing standard)?

ismi - ooVoo operates on a proprietary network, this is how it gets such good audio and video quality for a free download :)

purplecatty - great to hear your good experiences! as you note, choopy video is always going to be a problem during busy times on the net. but yes, ooVoo dynamically alters to try and compensate for bandwidth, warning you when things may be bad so you don't get too frustrated.

sweetorchid - did you find a program you liked?

Be great to hear any more opinions from the community.

Back