Ontario CI News

ptcallaghan

Reaction score
I wish I could say it was 100% altruistic....unfortunately like all political decisions, the govt likely has an alterior motive...

OH yah it is an election year BTW...lol

Hmm, somebody already made an anti-Deaf community comment on the article... what else is new?

Besides, our Premier Dalton McGuinty is a total boob.

Oh, brother, not again. :roll: Why can children have hearing aids better than surgery, for God's sake? This whole thing is ridiculous. Here we are fighting for our rights as Deaf and Hard of Hearing people. This surgeries got to stop as they is not going anywhere. OMG. :(

its not JUST for children this is for adults too..and ALOT of adults in ON have gotten denied or put on CRAZY waiting lists...this should help the situation a little bit

According to Toronto Star page A9 today the money $5.9 million will pay for an additional 184 operations in the 5 hospitals. They are the designated Cochlear Implant centres for the entire province. Obviously wait time will be shortened.

The wait list is for people who have been approved NOT rejected for one reason or other. I understand from Sunnybrook/Toronto-mentioned before-there is a rejection rate of 60% for Cochlear Implants-adults. I understand different criteria for babies/children. That won't change.

My personal experience-Feb to July/07(operation) was "quick".Implant activated Aug/07. I was bilaterally deaf since Dec/06. My brother's experience was much longer. He was deaf in one ear Profound in the other had almost 18 months after being referred to Sunnybrook to the operation. That what is it means-wait list-with bilateral deaf going to the "beginning of the line".

Obviously an improvement though hard to believe "just an election gimmick" which takes place in October 2011.

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

The fact that the announcement was piggy-backed along with the child getting her implants may have been in somewhat bad taste....especially to the "Deafies", However as a soon to be implantee I welcome the news.

Although it wont make the next month go any quicker for me....for many it will definitely speed things up (both adult and child alike).

Regardless of how many anti-CI people there are....there are likely just as many (in fact likely more) people that desire the benefits that the technology offers.

I personally appreciate both opinions, however reading the same debate over and over gets tiring.

One can only hope that the funding becomes permanent next year.

Back