Onshore Oil Rig Jobs??

Moose

Reaction score
Hey, I am currently attending college enrolled in the business administration program majoring in accounting. I am having serious doubts continuing on as Business Admin is probably the most popular program with thousands of graduates every year. I am deaf, as I wear BTE hearing aids in both ears. I am a fair sized 21 year old man who would prefer physical labor. I also live in Canada, but I was curious if any of you guys knew of someone with my hearing loss or similar to it employed on an Alberta onshore oil rig or one in particular. I am really interested in working on one as the pay is phenomenal. I just wanted know of the experience of working on one and if communication is essential or not. I've heard hand signals are a method of communication on them, so I am hoping that is the case. Any feedback would be great!

So everybody here must collect disability or have some cushy little office job. Let me broaden the topic. Does anybody here work a blue collar job like a welder, carpenter, or a mechanic??

I personally know deaf people who are carpenters and mechanics. I don't know anything about working on oil rig, but you would try it. If you don't want to work there, you can always step down.

My husband worked in manufacturing and there were a good 10-15 Deaf people on his shift. They all worked at a plant that made dashboards for Ford, Chrysler, Mitsubishi and Saturn.

Many deaf gentleman/ladies from 2nd and 3rd world work very hard as miner, oil driller, welding, carpenter, and some sort of electric factory to produce the electric (very dirty job) and they do get paid really well to support their family, and able to afford many things what they need.

Hey, I am currently attending college enrolled in the business administration program majoring in accounting. I am having serious doubts continuing on as Business Admin is probably the most popular program with thousands of graduates every year. I am deaf, as I wear BTE hearing aids in both ears. I am a fair sized 21 year old man who would prefer physical labor. I also live in Canada, but I was curious if any of you guys knew of someone with my hearing loss or similar to it employed on an Alberta onshore oil rig or one in particular. I am really interested in working on one as the pay is phenomenal. I just wanted know of the experience of working on one and if communication is essential or not. I've heard hand signals are a method of communication on them, so I am hoping that is the case. Any feedback would be great!

I did it a couple weeks. danger to myself and others. it would require patience from crew... ain't gonna happen.

Thanks for the feedback everyone and Cowpuppy i appreciate the honest response and i've worked trade related jobs where patience is non-existent, so i have a general idea what it'd be like. I think i am going to reconsider doing that, but I am curious what do you guys do for work right now if you are employed? I just feel limited to what i can do and don't want to end up in a cubicle eight hours a day entering excel formulas.

Back