Only in ASL

bengalgod

Reaction score
A little history, I have had deaf friends in the past, but they read lips really well, so I picked up almost no sign language at all, and I remember less than that. I work in a call center doing tech support these days. Two of our customers who call relatively frequently are deaf, and use Purple Relay service to talk to us. They sign to the interpreter, the interpeter talks to me and signs to them whatever I'm saying, usually while also mouthing the words for lip reading purposes. I don't get to see the video except when I'm remoted into their computer troubleshooting, but they're cool people, and I like to make sure they're having a good technical support experience.

So here's the kicker. It's hard to joke with somebody through a relay service. Really hard. Jokes are the primary way I comfort the people I'm helping.

What I need is things I can say that will be visual puns, or that will come out as a joke in sign language for some other reason. If the interpreter doesn't realize until it's too late, that's even better.

Do you folks have any ideas? Think you could help me out?

Back