Online courses closed captioned?

DGirl101

Reaction score
I am having a bit of a problem with something.

This has to do with the college that I plan to attend for my nursing degree.

The disability office said online courses may be the best way to go since it takes them 3 to 4 weeks to find an interpreter.

I asked if the online courses are video taped, and if they are closed captioned.

The person sent a email back saying that the computer should have the capabilities to give closed captions.

Duh, but do they put closed captioning on the vidoes themselves that is what I wanted to know.

Does anyone know for sure if they do this or not??

Same here in medical field but its not in nursing. The best of three schools in my city is online courses, I asked them about the closed caption thing, they have had no idea and said will check it before making it official and asked the manager to contact me but the problem is I havent heard from them yet. And they are too expensive so I am checking out my 2nd pick and see besides waiting to find out if they are closed captioned or not. So I decided to just attend since they are cheaper but I will see if they have online courses as well and find out if they do or not.

I've taken some online courses in the past and never had videos to watch. You might be lucky enough not to have any videos as well. :thumb:

That is good news but for me, I was told there is two videos to watch but the rest are books and lessons online to take. But if I want tutor, I have to go on campus to get help. :roll: So what is the difference for me.. eh

That is good news but for me, I was told there is two videos to watch but the rest are books and lessons online to take. But if I want tutor, I have to go on campus to get help. :roll: So what is the difference for me.. eh
How about setting up a session with an interpreter on campus?

Instead of the school having to find an interpreter for the whole semester, they would probably have a better chance of finding an interpreter to interpreter 1 or 2 videos with you in person?

I did have a friend at RIT who was required to a bunch of videos (on VHS) for his class. When he got his syllabus, it said he had to buy a couple books... a VHS collection (about 10 tapes total)... etc.

The videos weren't captioned. Luckily, he was able to send the tapes to support services and have them translated. I don't remember if he got a transcript or captions were added. Either way, he got what was needed.

How about trying to get a transcript for the videos? That's an easier alternative than interpreters. :dunno:

I wasn't aware one could complete nursing program solely via online courses. I never taken online course and have limited knowledge but with most of "common" prerequisite courses IE English, Math, History, Psychology etc etc there aren't video lectures to watch. Perhaps plan ahead better next time to arrange CART and or Interpreter.

VHS learning tapes - captions

I know of a university in the US South that is a leader in its field insofar as all of its courses are available for deaf and all of its courses are closed captioned, or transcribed. I'll reply (off post) with anyone who needs this info -- I haven't it at my fingertips now.

VHS (cassette) tapes may be captioned, but you have to find the CC button or explore the setup options.

Digital media file, e.g., *.mov, *.wmv, etc. may be captioned, but most players (the software) default to caption feature "off" so explore the setup features there too.

How about setting up a session with an interpreter on campus?

Instead of the school having to find an interpreter for the whole semester, they would probably have a better chance of finding an interpreter to interpreter 1 or 2 videos with you in person?

The one that is expensive has interpreter covered, and everything else covered, the videos are on a disc. I have trust in them but they want 10,000 bucks back after graduating. I have four kids that needs that and so do I. They cost in total of 16,000k. I rather go to other one that runs at 6k and they just got back with me yesterday that they want me to work with them on the interpreter part and everything else is covered. They will check their Discs to make sure it is captioned or not before getting back with me since the one they sent me in mail for introduction wasnt captioned. I can get an interpreter to do the job while watching the video but we will see.

I wasn't aware one could complete nursing program solely via online courses. I never taken online course and have limited knowledge but with most of "common" prerequisite courses IE English, Math, History, Psychology etc etc there aren't video lectures to watch. Perhaps plan ahead better next time to arrange CART and or Interpreter.

I'm sure that's the case because they don't really get into nursing course until the student got the basic (math, english, etc.)

out of the way.

I am having a bit of a problem with something.

This has to do with the college that I plan to attend for my nursing degree.

The disability office said online courses may be the best way to go since it takes them 3 to 4 weeks to find an interpreter.

I asked if the online courses are video taped, and if they are closed captioned.

The person sent a email back saying that the computer should have the capabilities to give closed captions.

Duh, but do they put closed captioning on the vidoes themselves that is what I wanted to know.

Does anyone know for sure if they do this or not??

Next time, you need register the classes so early and meeting with ADA, probably 6 weeks before school start.

Doug...the classes I am taking now are pre requisites. Math, Chemistry, Intro to computer and CNA.....the Fall I start the course, providing I pass the HESIA2 and other requirements.

They suggested it because they cant find an interpreter, I provided a list and website and a business card for interpreters.

The reason in the delay was because the audiologist never sent the medical information they needed until just two days before school started.

Doug...the classes I am taking now are pre requisites. Math, Chemistry, Intro to computer and CNA.....the Fall I start the course, providing I pass the HESIA2 and other requirements.

They suggested it because they cant find an interpreter, I provided a list and website and a business card for interpreters.

The reason in the delay was because the audiologist never sent the medical information they needed until just two days before school started.

sorry to hear that. hope things work out somehow

you probably do ok without an interpreter for Math. I never listened to my college math teacher. I just watch the board and try to figure out how he came up with the answer on my own (plus study the textbook) Just make sure he is the type who will write step by step math problems on the board.

It would be kinda hard to watch a math problem on the board AND watch the interpreter at the same time.

What you really need is a deaf college who is willing to transfer your credit to this college.

Back