Online Course

Ribs

Reaction score
Hello everyone!! I'm back :D

So anyways... I'm sure this question has been asked tons, but I've just looked up "online ASL courses" and a bunch popped up. But I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for which one would be the best? I'm looking for a graded course, because that factor seems like a pretty good motivator.

Any suggestions? Or if this question has been asked can I get a link?

why do you want to learn ASL online as opposed to in-person where you are?

I would love that if it were available. But at the moment I live up in the mountains away from society, and I don't really know any deaf people (or hearing people for that matter) here.

And I have deaf friends that I've tried learning from before, but so far I've either moved or they just don't really want to teach me. So I'd rather learn it online than not at all.

I would love that if it were available. But at the moment I live up in the mountains away from society, and I don't really know any deaf people (or hearing people for that matter) here.

And I have deaf friends that I've tried learning from before, but so far I've either moved or they just don't really want to teach me. So I'd rather learn it online than not at all.
Um, so who are you going to be signing with?

Um... No one at the moment... Just myself?

Although someday I would like to move back to Colorado Springs if possible. That would be were my deaf friends live and I would like to have better conversation with them, rather than stuttering through "What's your name" and "sign slowly please" and having to rely on Facebook to get to know anyone.

Best advice I can give you is go to lifeprint.com, signsavvy.com is also a good one for looking up words your just thinking about.

Lifeprint.com has helped me get through basics things but I find it hard without interaction with someone else. I suggest making a few friends on here and trying to arrange a time to meet upon Skype or tinychat (I think tinychat isn't as personal and more people can interact. Had fun time there too) Just create a chat room and your good to go! :D

Thank you, I will be checking both of them out. I think the biggest thing I need now is help on the grammar and being able to sign more fluently, as in conversation. So I might try looking around for someone at some point.

People who lived in the remote country like in the bush or mountains have ways to get in touch with outsiders. You can use Skype or ooVoo to communicate with Deaf people. I hope maybe your Deaf friends could communicate with you if you let them know that you are interest in signing with them. It is like pen pal but only in videophone instead of writing letters.

I live here in the bush and I use computer to communicate with Deaf people and some hearing people on AD and Facebook plus three groups. As for using the videophone, I have not use it very much. I still have ooVoo (I think I only use once so far). I am planning on going back to New Mexico to be with family members (hearing) but I will be joining the Deaf Community either in Santa Fe, New Mexico or Albuquerque, New Mexico. I hope to do that in the late summer.

There are ways you can get around to it. Maybe if you can travel for a day away from the mountain to visit the Deaf Event so that you can get use to the feeling of being with the Deaf Community. I do hope you have good luck on this. :)

I guess my biggest thing is that so many people have offered to teach me things in the past. But most of them didn't really want to in the first place and only promised me because I asked. Either that or they didn't have enough time, just something always got in the way. So the result of that was me getting my hopes up for actually being able to learn something new just to be left disappointed, and just figuring out a way to learn on my own.

I love hanging out with deaf people, I think they're awesome and I would love to have more time with deaf people in general. So if someone would like to help me and offered I would be so happy. But I'd rather not ask for it for the same thing to happen again.

If you have a credit card go to Amazon.com and order an interactive cd. I have one, you type what you want to say and it signs to you, you learn as well as "read" the language... you can learn it but if you don't watch it, you will have a hard time following unless a person will go S L O W L Y for you.

Is it the ASL - American Sign Language by LP Laser Publishing Group or the American Sign Language Dictionary on Cd-rom by Martin L. A. Sternberg? Only those two came up with the search.

Back