One interpreter for long class?

deafsqrrl

Reaction score
I have enrolled in a class thru the County. Because it was the last minute, I had to bring my 17 yr old son to terp for my class. I spoke with the director and was told that I have to go to the different site so that I can share ONE interpeter with a latened deaf student (who is learning to lip-read AND sign) and our sessions last almost 4 hours. I accept going to the different site, BUT the director said that there will be NO interpreter on 6/26 and he asked me to bring my son or find volunteers to do interp svc. I asked him to fund interp. service and his response is "the class charges you only $580 and they do not have further funds." I want to reply him with a nice and gentle warning before I would seek advocate or legal help. What do you suggest that I say to him in order to hire Qualified Interpreters for my classes? Thks.

I have enrolled in a class thru the County. Because it was the last minute, I had to bring my 17 yr old son to terp for my class. I spoke with the director and was told that I have to go to the different site so that I can share ONE interpeter with a latened deaf student (who is learning to lip-read AND sign) and our sessions last almost 4 hours. I accept going to the different site, BUT the director said that there will be NO interpreter on 6/26 and he asked me to bring my son or find volunteers to do interp svc. I asked him to fund interp. service and his response is "the class charges you only $580 and they do not have further funds." I want to reply him with a nice and gentle warning before I would seek advocate or legal help. What do you suggest that I say to him in order to hire Qualified Interpreters for my classes? Thks.

From my past experiences.... I advise you not to use your children to interpret in your class.. it is conflict of interest.....

Sxyporkie is right. Never use your child to interpret for you. Conflict of interest.
Using certified or agency screened terp for interpreting for you in classes.

You need TWO interpreters for more than 2 hours of class. Not one terp.

Sxyporkie is right. Never use your child to interpret for you. Conflict of interest.
Using certified or agency screened terp for interpreting for you in classes.

You need TWO interpreters for more than 2 hours of class. Not one terp.

Thank you very much... I learned my lesson when i attended to University of Illinois.. I did used my daughter for short time.... I realized it was mistake... from there i never use my children to interpret in any classes or doctor....

You said "through the county". Are you referring to something that's run and/or owned by the government?

What was this class for?

You said "through the county". Are you referring to something that's run and/or owned by the government?

What was this class for?

Yes it is the County. I don't want to mention which one to the public. I try to make this a story shorter. I talked thru the terp to talk to the guy who runs the program. First, I told him how wonderful the teacher was (after I used my son for terp service for first 2 classes). The guy was pleased and he "bragged" about her. Then I discussed the ADA law and the terp offered her service. The guy was hestiant, but I advised him to contact the Disabled Service program. Told him that I would attend the next class with terp or not.

In the end, he decided to hire this terp and her friend ierp for team-interp. The end of this story has a happy ending. :D

By the way, you are right I should not use my son but it was beyond my control and my son is almost 18. He was glad to provide me the service although I told him it was only temporary. Due to the guy's resistence, I did not expect my son to continue for next class. The guy wanted me to postpone taking the class this Fall. I have other commitments to attend this Fall and i dont have any room for taking the class this Fall. Besides, I have a right to choose a class any time I wish.

I agree that you have a right to a terp. At my college, when I took a long class , disabilities services would send two terps so they'd alternate when one got tired.

Tell him that Title V of the ADA requires that the educational institution responsible for the class is responsible for making sure that an interpreter is present for all classes, and that as your son is not a registered interpreter and is not obliged to follow the ethical guidelines for qualified interpreters, that it is completely unacceptable, not to mention illegal, to use him.

Back