One Hearing Aid, or Two?

bibliotech

Reaction score
I am mostly deaf in both ears, however I have been unaided on my right for years, due to the lack of residual hearing in that ear. However, I have run into issues with hearing people assuming that my right ear functions perfectly. Then they wonder why I can't hear them. Duh! I am seriously considering having an earmold made and sticking one of my backups into that ear (without the battery of course), just to get the point across that I am mostly deaf in both ears!

What do you guys think? Does anyone else have this problem?

How old are you? After 40-something years I still have people doing that, so you can't fix stupid. Just push them away and remind them that you are deaf need to read lips.

I have 2 CI's that are clearly visible on my shaved head, and many people think they are special Bluetooth accessories, and ask me why I have those two round things stuck to my head.

I know it's tedious, but even with us profound/totally Deafies, our deafness is invisible.

My guess is that those who wear HA's in one ear, even tho' they are totally/profound Deaf in the other (as you, the OP), have the same problem.

I've encountered many people, upon telling them I was deaf (verbally), they commensed to "shout" in one of my ears. It's annoying, I know!

I know of no solution to our dilemma, except to perhaps wear a sign saying I'm deaf, or deaf in one ear....and that I will not do!....

And people (strangers) are ignornant...but we cannot blame them, as it's invisible.....

I tend to just ignore them and go on about my way, after years of explaining over and over that I'm profound/totally Deaf and read lips, and get the silly feedback from them mouthing/saying..."Oh, you can read my lips?"....then a silly-assed attempt to use some stupid attempt of riduculous ASL (when they don't know any at all)....not worth my time!

Maybe just turn your head, point to your good ear?....Good Luck.

What works best for me: Sign to those people. Usually they get that I'm Deaf after that. Doesn't help with their stupidity, though.

Starkey just launched their very impressive power plus. It combines the best in class feedback suppression, with a monster gain of 80dB. It has a very clean and natural sound, and plenty of power. They offer it in three flavors, which is basically their best and most expensive technology, the next one down, and the one below that. The build quality is the same on all, and they look the same, but as you step down to the lower priced units you lose some channels and some features. The entry level one has 8 channels, the next has 12, the top has 16. As you step up in price, you get better speech hearing in noise. I have met some pretty severe cases since I got a test set of these, and even with soft foam disposable tips the sound quality was amazing. I really do believe this is the best power aid out there at this time.

Back