one-hand sign language

PowerON

Reaction score
I wonder if you can handle from the interpreter to sign with only one hand?

I couldn't understand that much. Probably 50% or less on depend which word is required to be use two-hand.

It happen when I receive Sign Mail from Sorenson videophone, appear there is a lady who have bandage on her arm. So, she use other arm to sign. I had to keep replay until I get it all the message. Tough!
Don’t think I can deal with one-hand Sign Language

ill sign one handed if my other hand is busy... I'm tend to mouth full words more when I do so. Others I know do same. Most of time don't have problem to understand, maybe have to repeat one or two things or exagerate a sign. But this is all in conversational sign, I would never interperet one handed unless the person knew me and my signing well.

Huh. Why can't she take paid leave until she gets healed first? I admit that I do sign sometimes with one hand while holding something in my hand.

I don't typically have any problem understanding ... many people talk (is sign) while carrying items (especially infants. toddlers or school books)

I do tend to use more mouthing of words and if there's a word that is difficult to sign clearly with one hand it is sometimes finger-spelled instead.

I know a few people who have only on hand, or the arm is paralysed (or in cases of those with CP etc one side is more affected than the other etc) ... it doesn't really impact understanding after the few sentences :)

Generally I'd say that I (and the people I know) are able to confidentially understand about 95% of ASL single-handed (with appropriate modifications)

I wonder if you can handle from the interpreter to sign with only one hand?

I couldn't understand that much. Probably 50% or less on depend which word is required to be use two-hand.

It happen when I receive Sign Mail from Sorenson videophone, appear there is a lady who have bandage on her arm. So, she use other arm to sign. I had to keep replay until I get it all the message. Tough!
Don’t think I can deal with one-hand Sign Language
Looks like you need to polish your glasses. :aw:

I don't have a problem with it when the occasion arises.

I don't think I have problem with it if any. I reckon deaf people will have to do it more often as cellphones with video access become more common in the short future.

I think there is a difference between a conversation with a one-handed signer in a social setting and a professional interpreter using one-handed signing during a paid assignment. A professional terp shouldn't work with anything that will distract from the convenience of the message.

If it's a one-on-one in person situation with a terp that one has used for a long time, and both parties are comfortable with the situation, then that might be OK. If it's a VRS situation with a terp that the consumer is seeing for the first time on a two-dimensional screen, then that probably wouldn't be acceptable. I'm surprised that the VRS company allows that.

Huh. Why can't she take paid leave until she gets healed first? I admit that I do sign sometimes with one hand while holding something in my hand.
She probably should lay off interpreting until she's healed. I don't know if she would be paid for that time though. I don't know her company's policy. For myself, I get paid by the hour, so no work, no pay.

I remember during my interpreter training the instructor was adamant that terps suffering from carpal tunnel syndrome or other repetitive motion injuries should never wear wrist braces while working.

Whenever I have any kind of "wounds" on my arms I wear long sleeves to cover up. (Last week I had some bad spider bites on my arms so I wore sleeves that covered those areas.)

I think there is a difference between a conversation with a one-handed signer in a social setting and a professional interpreter using one-handed signing during a paid assignment. A professional terp shouldn't work with anything that will distract from the convenience of the message.

If it's a one-on-one in person situation with a terp that one has used for a long time, and both parties are comfortable with the situation, then that might be OK. If it's a VRS situation with a terp that the consumer is seeing for the first time on a two-dimensional screen, then that probably wouldn't be acceptable. I'm surprised that the VRS company allows that.

I agree, esp with the last paragraph. And you are still up??

I agree, esp with the last paragraph. And you are still up??
Yes. Last semester I had to get up at 5 a.m. for classes. This semester I work mostly evening classes. I don't get home until after 10:15 p.m., so I sleep in until 7 a.m. :lol:

I agree Reba - in an professional interpreting setting (VRS, or IRL) the person should be given paid leave (as "sick time) and another interpreter be found.

It only makes sense that interpreters should do everything to minimize distractions ... that includes wearing appropriate clothing, and being able to sign comfortably, fluidly without having anything compromise clarity.

Certainly having one hand in a sling is going to be a distraction/compromise clarity in some cases (especially signers who are not native users, but prefer VRS to TTY based relay)

I'd be tempted (if I was a VRS user and had this happen) to send a polite email to the company explaining that VRS interpreters with injuries to their arm/hand which impact their ability to form signs correctly (ie using both hands when appropriate) should be required to take time off or be assigned TTY /IM etc relay until they heal - They should NOT however be answering VRS calls.

To be honest, her pink clothes bother me more than her sling... or being one-armed.

I have a hard time reading someone's hands when their shirt or dress is too close to the person's skin colour.

To be honest, her pink clothes bother me more than her sling... or being one-armed.

I have a hard time reading someone's hands when their shirt or dress is too close to the person's skin colour.
Yes, a terp should wear clothing that contrasts with skin tones, and isn't too shiny or patterned.

I never sign one handed while interpreting. But if I'm with my deaf friends and have something in my hands, it's no biggie.

I don't think it's wise to post a picture of the interpreter.

sue them

I would ditch a one armed terp if she showed up for a job or for a relay call. How can she decide my call is not important enough to require 2 hands? PO has to learn to powe off a hald ass terp like that

If, you hold iphone 4 or EVO or Samsung EPIC. You have to use one hand sign language.

Back