one ear dragging you down?

PFH: rofl - you included- as a poster of "drivel".

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

My Cochlear Implant is an Advanced Bionics -Harmony. Just crossed 3 years of use. Completely at ear level-left side.Looks like Deaffys- mine is grey colour. 8 Rechargeable batteries- with one lasting usually a day from 7.00 Am to 10.00pm with about 1 hour off due to swimming. I leave it on all the time-getting use to sound. Easy to tell when the battery is "used up"-dead silence! Bill

A minor "thought"-if one is "deaf"- real-absolute silence- how can one hear "noise"? Am I "missing" something? So far in my life this fortunately hasn't been a problem- yet. I was "under the impression" that ENT doctors deal with physical problems of the ear. I have always dealt with ENT clinic-St Michaels Hospital which have audiologists as well as ENT doctors.

I'd encourage you to read the articles on Recruitment and Hyperacusis I posted (and others if you like) as well as talking with your Audie about it.

Recruitment is a FEELING that happens with loud sounds ... many (but not all) people with hearing loss (including +120db deafness) have pain (ranging from uncomfortable to extremely painful) when exposed to loud sounds EVEN if they can NOT hear them.

For a visual example - think of the opera singers who are able to shatter crystal with sound waves (voice). Even though (obviously) the crystal can't "hear" it's still impacted by the sound waves intensity and frequency in a profound way ... the same goes for those who have Recruitment.

anij: at the present don't have an audi to check out recruitment. I suppose i could make an appointment at Sunnybrook but have enough to study at the moment- Latin American dance steps! Fortunately don't have that problem-recruitment- at the present time. As stated before just plain deaf-enough to deal with. I am aware that there can be -lots of ear problems "sufficient for the actual problem thereof-now" interesting guide to consider. Bill

Bill - Perhaps you could request some info from CHS, as I know they have plenty of info on it ... I'm actually quite surprised that in your 15 years of various classes recruitment, hyperacusis, and other very common conditions with accompany many (more than 70%) of people who have hearing loss (mild -> profound+).

I know that the hearing help type classes offered here cover these topics in even the most "basic" classes because soooo many people have either or both and need information on recognizing it and then managing it.

odd.

No it is not odd that the multiple potential problems of one's ears are NOT discussed at CHS Hearing Help Classes. They are NOT meant to make one "knowledgeable" about the many possible physical ear problems. The end goal-how to deal with your Hearing Loss. If perchance is "affected by these problems" the obvious: make an appointment with an ENT doctor-forthwith. The classes were 2 hours long usually 6 to 8 weeks. Hard to fit in such a massive overload of info- which, of course, does nothing to help in why one takes Hearing Help in the first place. What do I do now?
There is nothing from stopping anyone from purchasing text books/reading Google website if one wants such info re: physical ear problems of which they can get from their ENT doctor. How ones spends their time-up to you!

Further to above: I am unable to examine my own ears- do other people here? Also, I would guess getting a complete understanding of ALL possible ear problems would take MORE than a few hours in classes at CHS.
Not sure just how much Google has on "ear problems". As stated before-on how time does one have to study this, then say eye problems or feet problems or even advanced lupus! Never dull here in alldeaf.com Bill

Last edited:
DrPhil, Anji suggested you read up on recruitment because YOU asked if YOU were missing something. Since you've never had a problem with recruitment, know nothing about recruitment and have no desire to learn about recruitment, then please stop putting in your 2 cents worth because your 2 cents are worth nada on the subject.

As for recruitment- whether I actually studied the matter doesn't change the effect on anyone else- however felt. I have never made any comment on the actual effect on anyone-have I? The prior discussion- were if CHS classes dealing with" hearing loss adjustments" within a constricted time frame of 10-12 hours should include the many other physical problems of the ear such as ENT doctors study? You are correct I actually took the classes as duly noted. The classes were held 2nd floor Spadina Rd-Toronto, Ontario. I am not sure how other commenting on CHS actually took them? Reading a computer screen is not the same thing as a classroom discussions with actual tests afterwards-to me anyways.
I suppose one can study Tinnitus/Meniere's Disease whatever if one wants to do-even though not currently suffering. Your time allocation!

As for recruitment- whether I actually studied the matter doesn't change the effect on anyone else- however felt. I have never made any comment on the actual effect on anyone-have I? The prior discussion- were if CHS classes dealing with" hearing loss adjustments" within a constricted time frame of 10-12 hours should include the many other physical problems of the ear such as ENT doctors study? You are correct I actually took the classes as duly noted. The classes were held 2nd floor Spadina Rd-Toronto, Ontario. I am not sure how other commenting on CHS actually took them? Reading a computer screen is not the same thing as a classroom discussions with actual tests afterwards-to me anyways.
I suppose one can study Tinnitus/Meniere's Disease whatever if one wants to do-even though not currently suffering. Your time allocation!

If basics like Recruitment (which impacts MOST people who have hearing loss) aren't covered in those classes what is? (and what would be the benefit you you taking it so many times ?)

Basically Bill, it comes down to this ... post about things that you know for certain about - and don't make presumptions about things you're ignorant about (just like I don't go posting about specifics regarding CI, or deafblindness etc because I don't have the knowledge that a CI user or someone who's deafblind etc can provide - I'm "guessing", they "know"). Posting "guesses" when people ask questions doesn't help them, it just sends them down a wrong path. Arguing with people who are familiar with a specific technology/condition/language about it's use, validity etc is only worthwhile if you are also educated/up-to-date etc on that topic yourself.
People come here to learn about things- and while it's true that any member can post anything (even if they have no clue what they're talking about) ... it's much more HELPFUL if people who post an answer actually KNOW about various topics post valid helpful information, instead of posts consisting of "I guess", "I read in a 20 year old book", "I've never used this, but maybe...." etc.

CHS/Toronto- Hearing Help classes were held to assist persons with Hearing Loss and advise what to do. Based on their experience. The courses, over time, themselves have been changed since I was there. Dealing with "stress' has been deleted. Speech Reading has been expanded. Dealing with various coping strategies expanded. Again- the courses were 1 1/2 -2 hours-- 6 to 8 weeks. Thus the pile up of your suggested subjects- re learning ASL OR physical problems of the ear as studied by ENT doctors.- not included.
I have mentioned before I was ACTUALLY INVOLVED in the CHS/York University study on how persons at CHS/Toronto used the Hearing help course in their actual life. Actually published in the Journal of Aural Rehabilitation-Natalie Israelite/Beth Jennings.
As for the many classes taken involved my judgment call as my Hearing loss was increasing to eventual deafness- was worth while. I knew I would be deaf-when?( December 20,2006) Yeah even took the course while deaf awaiting the process at Sunnybrook in early 2007.SpeechReading results showed a 20% decrease. Not a surprise as Speechreading involves hearing as well "reading lip shapes" PBM are most visible etc. Turned out to have been worthwhile in that CHS showed that I had made a major effort to deal with my actual Hearing Loss in consideration re: Cochlear Implant.
Commenting here is only what one has actually experienced re Hearing loss/Cochlear Implant/deafness- not a Google definitive explanation suitable to university level discussion. At the present time I am NOT buying a whole host of NEW books dealing with the multiple faceted area of deafness. I also DON'T spend a lot time tracking down every Google website on deafness/cochlear Implants/ ASL.

CHS/Toronto- Hearing Help classes were held to assist persons with Hearing Loss and advise what to do. Based on their experience. The courses, over time, themselves have been changed since I was there. Dealing with "stress' has been deleted. Speech Reading has been expanded. Dealing with various coping strategies expanded. Again- the courses were 1 1/2 -2 hours-- 6 to 8 weeks. Thus the pile up of your suggested subjects- re learning ASL OR physical problems of the ear as studied by ENT doctors.- not included.

I have mentioned before I was ACTUALLY INVOLVED in the CHS/York University study on how persons at CHS/Toronto used the Hearing help course in their actual life. Actually published in the Journal of Aural Rehabilitation-Natalie Israelite/Beth Jennings.

As for the many classes taken involved my judgment call as my Hearing loss was increasing to eventual deafness- was worth while. I knew I would be deaf-when?( December 20,2006) Yeah even took the course while deaf awaiting the process at Sunnybrook in early 2007.SpeechReading results showed a 20% decrease. Not a surprise as Speechreading involves hearing as well "reading lip shapes" PBM are most visible etc. Turned out to have been worthwhile in that CHS showed that I had made a major effort to deal with my actual Hearing Loss in consideration re: Cochlear Implant.

Commenting here is only what one has actually experienced re Hearing loss/Cochlear Implant/deafness- not a Google definitive explanation suitable to university level discussion. At the present time I am NOT buying a whole host of NEW books dealing with the multiple faceted area of deafness. I also DON'T spend a lot time tracking down every Google website on deafness/cochlear Implants/ ASL.

Drphil,

You may want to put line spaces between paragraphs to make your posts more readable like the one above.

Thanks- HHIssues space more. Cheers Bill

I get that most of the hostility against this poster is due to what may be seen as a particular awkwardness with the mechanics of the board and in interactions with individuals, as well as a lack of familiarity with and sensitivity to the cultural and philosophical issues specific to being deaf that many of us and our families are in various stages of addressing, discovering, exploring. But continued bullying, rather than informing or discussing, is counter to the spirit of information-sharing and community development on the forum and is a real deterrent to anyone else who might think to ask about anything from recruitment to language and learning philosophies.

I disagree with several things that DrPhil has stated, and his approach and philosophy are not the same as mine, but I frequently find that to be the case with others on this forum whom I respect, as well as in other forums, where the philosophy is pretty much diametrically opposed to what's commonly held here. This is a diverse community, and the fact that we're not all in lockstep with one another is what builds our community, rather than contracting it.

I don't know DrPhil, and digital forums can amplify or distort personality pretty severely, so I have no idea if he is a good-hearted guy unfamiliar with the deaf community and exploring his deafness by reaching out to this online community or kind of a jerk who has time on his hands and wants to brawl, but I suspect he's far closer to the former. He ASKED about recruitment, given that he too had a sudden hearing loss and yet didn't experience what another poster described. He has not been positioning himself as an expert -- but as someone obviously putting a lot of effort into learning. He has presented his learning experience in response to several challenges from others demanding to know what he knows about these many topics that have come up in this one ugly thread. And despite some painful mocking he's had to take, he has answered many questions in as straightforward a manner as you could wish for, without expressing the nastiness and vitriol apparent in others in this conversation.

This thread, the cochlear transplant thread, this approach to one poster, are toxic. I really don't know why any of us would want to take an "if you have to ask, you shouldn't be here" position. Nobody makes the Journey in a handful of posts online. I'll bet every one of us has been insensitive, stepped into unfamiliar territory, asked what later seemed an obvious question, made an assumption based on a whole lot of data that we later found to be off a bit, or a lot. We all could be helping rather than just taking potshots. I'm relatively new on this journey, I don't have the years of relevant wisdom and experience around this topic he could benefit from -- but I know many of you do, I've relied on and benefited from it enormously and wish you would share with this guy, too.

GrendelO: observant thoughts. If i wanted some advice re: the "so-called cultural deaf community"- bulldozer comments here "helpful".
As you noticed all comments are mine based on my ongoing journey through my Hearing Loss over 50 years and recently deafness. I actually did read all the books-quoted-Toronto public library. I don't access Google for even more websites. Time allocation.
I have mentioned before- being part of the gothic industrial site called: VampireFreaks.Com. Lots of "interesting discussions"-to say the least. Even "debated" an English "skinHead" whether a parent had the right to teach their children their religion! I maintained they do while "she" claims the child should study on their own" even if 5 years old! Does this sound like a similar discussion re: Hearing parents with "deaf child"? Just crossed 4 years there as "drphil".
Off to real work for the moment-swimming. Cheers Bill

GrendelO: observant thoughts. If i wanted some advice re: the "so-called cultural deaf community"- bulldozer comments here "helpful".
As you noticed all comments are mine based on my ongoing journey through my Hearing Loss over 50 years and recently deafness. I actually did read all the books-quoted-Toronto public library. I don't access Google for even more websites. Time allocation.
I have mentioned before- being part of the gothic industrial site called: VampireFreaks.Com. Lots of "interesting discussions"-to say the least. Even "debated" an English "skinHead" whether a parent had the right to teach their children their religion! I maintained they do while "she" claims the child should study on their own" even if 5 years old! Does this sound like a similar discussion re: Hearing parents with "deaf child"? Just crossed 4 years there as "drphil".
Off to real work for the moment-swimming. Cheers Bill

The so-called cultural deaf community?

Care to explain what you meant by that?

Any person who uses ASL and "accepts" the "theory of sociological splitting of society into In/out groups based on their hearing/ or lack thereof". Thus Hearing persons using ASL can be "cultural deaf". Thus the ongoing?uproar about Cochlear Implants being "instruments of genocide to the Deaf".
All of this is spelled out by Harlan Lane et al in their book: A Journey into the Deaf World.
Whether anyone here actually accepts any of this-unknown? Whether deaf persons in say Europe/Asia accept this-unknown?Does one accept there is something called the "Hearing community" vs "Deaf community"?I have mentioned this observation-before-what does any person getting a Cochlear Implant really say so that they don't "want to remain deaf"- by getting one? Yeah, the "entire package is expensive"-no matter who pays for it.

Sociology has split society into discrete units- eg Marxism/"feminism"/"gays"/ classes:"upper vs lower" amount of personal wealth vs lack thereof as a way of looking at our society. Want more- check Sociological text books.

Real/Valid ?-up to you!

Last edited:
Back