One day left until my CI surgery..

good luck and hope you can hear much better with your CI :)

I can hear a bit on my left ear but on the right ear, its completely deaf. So they want to do the implant on my right ear so I don't have to lose some of my hearings I have left on my left year. My audiologist said I can wear HA on left wear while the CI is on the right ear. Pretty neat, isnt it?

No drinking and eating...

Ah, well, Think of the fantistic journey ahead of you!!

Refresh me.... how much have you heared before?

Aww thanks everyone. I will not be on AD for a few days after tonight. I will have my husband Jeremy aka jlfwildkat update here often on how I am doing and all! :hug:

And that we will be leaving here at 5:30 am in the morning because it's 2 hours trip to Indianapolis and I want to be there early because I know how the traffic can be bad in Indianapolis. It all depends in the morning!

FelixKat, were you born deaf or did you lose your hearing? I know they've found that people who went deaf do better then people who never had hearing. Probaly b/c of the infant memory thing. That's good that they are implanting the worse ear. Got nothing to lose!
Boy..........this is great that the CI is slowly but surely getting more accepted!
But one thing it sucks is that I can't eat or drink anything after midnight.. means no drink or eat anything when I wake up to go before the surgery. It will take 2 hours drive to Indianapolis! But I think I would too excited to think about food anyways.
UGH........that does suck. Well, you could load up on drinks and food before midnite. I remmy when I had my ear surgery (nonCI) on the way to Boston all there was on the radio were advertisments for food!

FelixKat, were you born deaf or did you lose your hearing? I know they've found that people who went deaf do better then people who never had hearing. Probaly b/c of the infant memory thing. That's good that they are implanting the worse ear. Got nothing to lose!Boy..........this is great that the CI is slowly but surely getting more accepted! .....
It's a catch#22 situation. The worst ear might have a nerve that is not receptive any more, so CI might not work as good as with the "good" ear. But I agree you would want to keep the "good" ear.
I'm sure the tests have shown how well the "bad" ear is!

It's a catch#22 situation. The worst ear might have a nerve that is not receptive any more, so CI might not work as good as with the "good" ear. But I agree you would want to keep the "good" ear.
I'm sure the tests have shown how well the "bad" ear is!

Yes it is....isn't it. They told me that I really should go with my good ear as we knew for sure my good side worked just fine. I went with that since I wanted this to work for sure.

Funny though that recent research indicated that it really doesn't matter which side you do it on especially if you have heard all along on one side or the other. Go figure...

Funny though that recent research indicated that it really doesn't matter which side you do it on especially if you have heard all along on one side or the other. Go figure...
News to me!!
Where, when.... need info :cool:

DO you have some papers / studies you can send me about that?

Oh boy. That is going to be excite for you to enter a "hearing world."

Actually, I just added a update system in your CI before your surgery. I will be watching you with a special tiny video camera and listen every word what you say to people. Hope you don't mind if I do that. Good Luck!

I am not sure if it makes a sense to me or to you. If a doctor implants a CI, and the volume has increased in order to make it loud for your brain to pay more attention than normal attention because I think the doctor doesn't really know what is the average volume for this instrument.

Many audiologists make series of tests from soft to loud. The worst part for the audiologists to turn up very loud to see you can hear really loud which is not normal. Of course, the louder can damage your ear no matter what. Most important is that you tell your audiologist not to maximum the loudness for the test because it is very wrong. I always tell my audiologist before the test - just medium loud is enough for me to prevent it to "hurt" my hearing. Do not let yourself that it is okay to let your audiologist... because it's your life not his/hers. OK?

I am not sure if it makes a sense to me or to you. If a doctor implants a CI, and the volume has increased in order to make it loud for your brain to pay more attention than normal attention because I think the doctor doesn't really know what is the average volume for this instrument.

Many audiologists make series of tests from soft to loud. The worst part for the audiologists to turn up very loud to see you can hear really loud which is not normal. Of course, the louder can damage your ear no matter what. Most important is that you tell your audiologist not to maximum the loudness for the test because it is very wrong. I always tell my audiologist before the test - just medium loud is enough for me to prevent it to "hurt" my hearing. Do not let yourself that it is okay to let your audiologist... because it's your life not his/hers. OK?

Just sitting there and letting the audie set the volume of the CI independently of you isn't what happens with programming the CI anyway. The setting of the volume for every electrode is done using a loudness comfort chart. I let my audie know what is comfortable to me and she leaves it at that until the next time. If I find that my map is too loud she will turn it down right away, no arguments.

It keeps changing at every mapping session because the brain changes as well. What was comfortable at the previous session may be too soft at the next one.

Also audies are aware of which loudness levels will damage your cochlea (about 120db) and would never set the instrument so loud as to cause damage.

Back