Once Applied for first time SSI!

I applied online to begin with, but then had follow-ups in person. While there in person, since I can speak and did not know ASL, they used a computer that had "Dragon Naturally Speaking" on it and that basically "captioned" what the person was saying to me. We now do most everything by phone (I have a CapTel) and in person (I can read lips somewhat). I always take someone with me when I go in person.

While in Missouri, I was told that I would be re-tested after 2 years. I am now in Florida and was told that there is a back-log and it may be 3-5 before I am re-tested. I was also told that they may not re-test me based on what the audiologist and ENT wrote on my test results.

Basically, they put me in the booth for testing, turned me away from the front glass, turned the moirrors away from me, put the headphones on, then closed the door. What happened after, they told me abput when finished. It seems they turned the volume up to full blast on both ears and popped an enormous punch-ball in the microphone. I never flinched, but people in the rooms 3 doors down heard it. This was after they did all the usual tests. I have had all kinds of things done that still leave me with nightmares and I hope to never go through again while in my testing and examinations. Not everyone gets that treatment, but they couldn't understand my hearing loss until they were done.

All in all, I never really had a problem with the whole application process, just the way the chosen examiners did their job. I got approved within 3 months.

Guess what?! Yer DEAF!

For other tests that they did, I'd be pissed off. I'd also ensure it would have never happened again to other folks.

Guess what?! Yer DEAF!

Yeah!! Totally!!! Tell me something I didn't know!!

Seriously, I guess it took them a while to figure it out. I knew from childhood that it would happen. It just took longer than the Speech & Hearing Center in Orlando, FL thought.

Thanks for reply,
I'm an American citizen, and I'm hard of hearing and I wear Cochlear implant. I don't have insurance nor do I have a job. And I'm from Pakistan.

Okay so there my next questions is:

After applying for SSI, do SSI people call you for a periodic meeting in person?

We have to go in every year. But we mail our pay stubs in, every week.

It took us about 3 months to get approved.`

Back