On Loneliness ...

CaramelLatte

Reaction score
I apologize for the inconvenience this post may cause, but I am hearing person on school project about the deaf and hard of hearing. Part of this project involves the question... Does using sign Language make you feel lonely in the in the company of the hearing... ? Do you any feel any resentment towards any misunderstandings?

Ah, again I apologize if these questions are a little blunt - but I'm sure we can share the feeling of rushing projects, and I haven't enough information from the local Hong Kong associations (my Chinese... isn't that good !) - your thoughts on this matter would be great !

:stupid: =) (I hope this is the right forum !)

Last edited:
Welcome to CaramelLatte and enjoy your stay...

I dont try loneliness get to me when I'm hanging out with hearing friends, I do try to get them to tell me what's the conversation is about, at least I can speak and lipread pretty well... I'd like to ask the reverse question, maybe it'll help ya... You being hearing, does it make you feel lonely when you're in the company of deaf friends, seeing everyone use sign languages and you unable to catch what they said and feel left out?

nozobo said:

I dont try loneliness get to me when I'm hanging out with hearing friends, I do try to get them to tell me what's the conversation is about, at least I can speak and lipread pretty well... I'd like to ask the reverse question, maybe it'll help ya... You being hearing, does it make you feel lonely when you're in the company of deaf friends, seeing everyone use sign languages and you unable to catch what they said and feel left out?

thats a good one! :thumb:

I guess it would depend on the situation. If it was me with some other people using sign language, then I wouldn't really feel lonely. However, it it was just me sitting there with a bunch of hearing people that don't sign... then I would probably be lonely. :dunno:

I would agree with VamProX, if there are hearing people who sign I wouldn't feel lonely, but if don't sign, any of them, then I would feel lonely.

{Originally Posted by nozobo

thats a good one! }

Actually, there's a lot of truth to that. It's hard either way, if people don't make a point of including you.

Yes I do feel very welcome here ! Thanks ! :aw:

I haven't really tried hanging out with the hard of hearing - got to try it sometime. The impression I get is that it's a bit a language barrier - those I'm pretty much used to. Makes a pretty good thesis too !

Last edited:
CaramelLatte said:
Yes I do feel very welcome here ! Thanks ! :aw:

I haven't really tried hanging out with the hard of hearing - got to try it sometime. The impression I get is that it's a bit a language barrier - those I'm pretty much used to. Makes a pretty good thesis too !

there are deaf orals out there too.. i grew up one.. so i am fluent in oralism and asl.. meaning i get the best of both worlds.. :thumb:

Caramel,

I was raised oral so I am able to lipread along with signing. But if I am with a group of hearing people who does not know signing and does not understand deaf culture, I will feel not VALIDATED. For me, it is more about feeling validated than anything else.

Even if I am with a group of pure ASL users, I still will most likely not feel validated because I did not grow up in state schoool for the deaf or knew ASL at a younger age, or did not share their values/norms. There are many subcultures within Deaf Community.

So for someone like me who consider myself as an Outsider, I will have a hard time feeling validated unless I meet someone who has same background like me and feels hearing inside, yet deaf outside.

What Im trying to say is that validation is more important to me than feeling lonely or not. Hope Im making sense.

Meg said:
Caramel,

I was raised oral so I am able to lipread along with signing. But if I am with a group of hearing people who does not know signing and does not understand deaf culture, I will feel not VALIDATED. For me, it is more about feeling validated than anything else.

Even if I am with a group of pure ASL users, I still will most likely not feel validated because I did not grow up in state schoool for the deaf or knew ASL at a younger age, or did not share their values/norms. There are many subcultures within Deaf Community.

So for someone like me who consider myself as an Outsider, I will have a hard time feeling validated unless I meet someone who has same background like me and feels hearing inside, yet deaf outside.

What Im trying to say is that validation is more important to me than feeling lonely or not. Hope Im making sense.

WELL-SAID QUADRUPIE!! :thumb:

I am a hearing person who is learning ASL. I have seen deaf be left out and hearing be left out. I have become a strong enough signer that I can catch most of what is being said, though sometimes it takes a minute and I can't really chip in. I feel also sometimes that even if I understand the content, because I am hearing, I don't "fit in." Understanding the culture is sometimes more important that understanding the content.
I can also admit to signing with someone knowing that a third hearing party doesn't understand, and although if they asked me I would fill them in, I haven't alwauys make an effort to include them. I ALWAYS sign if deaf people are around, and make an effort to include them, it has been ingrained in me and just seems like common courtesy. I don't know, just blabbering on now. Hope I made some sort of sense.

okay, ttyl, Kelsey

Back