on-line hearing aids

maybe, but everytime mine has needed something done, all he does is pop it in a packet sends it back to the manufacturers. I could do that myself :lol:

Hope you don't mind me making a suggestion. I am a very satisfied HearSource.com customer. I think they repair hearing aids for $99 each. I haven't had to use their repair service yet, but I did buy a set of "personal programmable" hearing aids from them last year and have been very happy with the aids and their service.

Good Luck.

Ok I had very good luck with hearlink.com.au for my fm and ebay for aids (naida sp jr and smartlink SX) and lloyds.com for my moulds

I know this is an older thread, but thought I'd check in. I am currently shopping for a new hearing aid. It's been almost five years, and that might explain my surprise (all over again) at the ridiculous prices. I've been quoted $5,300 for a single Phonak Nadia IX hearing aid. I've found the same model online for around $2,500 (on the high side). That means for two hearing aids the audiologist is tacking on a $5,600 markup (or more assuming they get better pricing than you and me).

I know that dispensing fees count for some of that, as will fittings, maintenance, etc., but honestly, I'm fairly appalled at this point. I, too, am wondering whether purchasing online might be an option, but share several concerns outlined in this thread already.

Just don't know what to do at the moment other than rage against the seeming unfairness of it all.

To be honest, I don't know why people would buy Naida hearing aids. It has a bad reputation.

The marketing is pretty misleading. They don't pick up the sounds they are supposed to, and when they do, it's often not clear.

To be honest, I don't know why people would buy Naida hearing aids. It has a bad reputation.

The marketing is pretty misleading. They don't pick up the sounds they are supposed to, and when they do, it's often not clear.

As much as I complain about them, after 2 years of painful adjustment time I do like them...most of the time. Also, I am sure children who start with them early on would have a much better adjustment to them than adults. I think it would be like a CI...us adults are too used to hearing one way and to change it completely - well, of course we would have the same experience with them.

You know, it's funny. I'm immersed in technology all day, every day. It's my occupation (and geek leanings, my girlfriend might point out!). I would never dream of purchasing equipment without extensive research, either for personal or business use. Yet, for years I would just accept the audiologist's recommendation without question.

I mention that by way of replying to Banjo's post. With regards to why I want a Naida, well, it's simply because that is what the audiologist recommended (probably because my current Widex Inteo hearing aid also uses frequency transposition).

My own post was more a lamentation against (what appears to be) unfair pricing. But I suppose now I ought to look a little more closely at why I want (or would accept a recommendation of) the Naida.

Primarily, befitting a geek, I want the Bluetooth capability with the iCom, as well as the benefits of using the SmartLink+ FM system. SoundRecover also sounds like a great feature given that my hearing is a 'ski slope', so I'd be curious to learn more about why you do not like it.

A big thing that draws me, though, is Phonak's claim of 'water resistance'. I live in a very humid climate, and am blessed (cursed) with a very productive perspiration system :). Some protection against those things would be nice to have.

Anyway, that's my two cents. Would welcome some more information on the Naida or other comparable aids for severe-to-profound hearing loss.

Thanks,
WS

Don't know where you live, but here in DE, I was quoted $2900 each for the Naida IX. Right now, per my audi (and I'm a new patient of hers), I'm trialing the V UPs because she doesn't think I need to spend the extra ($500 each) on the IXs if the Vs work out for me. I may still try the IXs just to see if the added features are worth the extra money.

Sound recovery seems to be working. I'm now hearing the bells on my cats' collars. Guess I can't wear my jingle-bell Christmas socks anymore since now they'll bother me in addition to everyone else. :lol:

Other features are working well also. Right now I have it on "auto"...letting the HAs decide what program to go into as needed. I still need to test them out in a few more "situations".

My audi told me that the Naidas had problems in the beginning but they're "fixed" now, so I shouldn't have to worry. (This is one of the reasons I decided not to trial the Oticon Agils - I don't usually buy "new" technology...let other's deal with the "growing pains")

Back