on-line hearing aids

alphyra

Reaction score
thinking of buying an aid on-line as prices do seem a lot lower ( less than 1/2 price ) than what I'd expect to pay in Spain. Anyone have any good sites, selling good hearing aids, that deliver worldwide. Been looking at Melody Hearing Aid from hearingaidscentral.com. Anyone ever used them and if so how good are they ?

Thank you.

You are much better off going to your local hearing clinic than buying a hearing aid from a website.

You need an audiologist to adjust your hearing aids and be able to send it out for repairs anytime through the clinic.

You are much better off going to your local hearing clinic than buying a hearing aid from a website.

You need an audiologist to adjust your hearing aids and be able to send it out for repairs anytime through the clinic.

maybe, but everytime mine has needed something done, all he does is pop it in a packet sends it back to the manufacturers. I could do that myself :lol:

maybe, but everytime mine has needed something done, all he does is pop it in a packet sends it back to the manufacturers. I could do that myself :lol:

Why do you think they charge you the dispensing fee? That's to cover all sorts of repairs, services, readjusting, etc.

I've heard that some people had good experiences with online purchases. The seller can adjust your HAs on online the computer. I have no idea how they do this.

I used a local audiologist because I can take my HAs in any time and they will fix then while I wait. I also feel more comfortable having a qualified, experienced audiologist monitoring my situation. I can drop by the office ro pick up parts like tubing and ear domes.

It's really a decision about what you're most comfortable with. If you don't mind mailing in HAs and waiting for them to be returned, you can save money. If you don't want to be without your HAs, it's worth spending more.

You might also consider whether the online dealer will take back the HAs if they don't work for you. An local audiologist would be more likely to exchange them with a restocking fee. Ask that question no matter who you decide to use.

Good luck! Hope that you get new HAs that you love!

I've heard that some people had good experiences with online purchases. The seller can adjust your HAs on online the computer. I have no idea how they do this.

I used a local audiologist because I can take my HAs in any time and they will fix then while I wait. I also feel more comfortable having a qualified, experienced audiologist monitoring my situation. I can drop by the office ro pick up parts like tubing and ear domes.

It's really a decision about what you're most comfortable with. If you don't mind mailing in HAs and waiting for them to be returned, you can save money. If you don't want to be without your HAs, it's worth spending more.

You might also consider whether the online dealer will take back the HAs if they don't work for you. An local audiologist would be more likely to exchange them with a restocking fee. Ask that question no matter who you decide to use.

Good luck! Hope that you get new HAs that you love!

thank you. It seems a little different where I am as all the service I get is after buying the aid, if it goes wrong it is sent away no matter what the problem is as they don't fix on site so I am without it for at least 2 weeks ( I live on a small Spanish island ). So for a saving of over $1500 I can't see how it would be much different to me just sending it back for repair myself. Most I have seen offer a full money back if returned within 30 days.

thank you. It seems a little different where I am as all the service I get is after buying the aid, if it goes wrong it is sent away no matter what the problem is as they don't fix on site so I am without it for at least 2 weeks ( I live on a small Spanish island ). So for a saving of over $1500 I can't see how it would be much different to me just sending it back for repair myself. Most I have seen offer a full money back if returned within 30 days.

They should be able to fix it if there's a minor adjustment needed to be made. But if it's physical, for instance, a broken seal or a chip not functioning properly, it'll have to be sent away for repairs. For tube replacements, cleaning, etc, they should be able to do that on their own.

Yes, that's what I've needed so far. HAs need basic maintenance. I usually go to the audiologist every 6 months.

Personally I wouldn't trust HA's from the Internet. :dunno:

CJB:
Personally I wouldn't trust HA's from the Internet. :dunno:

Agreed. I wouldn't trust HA's from the Internet either. Who knows? They might stop working more than a month after you get them and there goes your return policy and your money.

I got mine online over a year ago, and I've done a lot of searching to find that right dealer. I found one I felt comfortable with and checked the BBB and they had no complaint on the Online dealer.

I checked with Mayo Hearing clinic to see if they would take care of the warranty on my aids, and they said as long it's the same brand as they carry, they can.

I went to Mayo and had my hearing test done, and got my results back.. The audiogram was faxed to the dealer and gave them a bit of my background of what I do for work and other things.

The dealer called me in a couple of hours and went over models of hearing aids that would work out for me. They then shipped the aids to me in a couple of days all pre programmed to my hearing.

After I got my aids, I went down to Mayo hearing clinic, they were able to get my aids info on file, and calling Siemens to get the warranty info, I am set for my warranty service if needed. Mayo said they can reprogram it if needed.

So by doing online,I saved way over half on the cost of the aids since insurance won't pay for it.

Thanks for the info, John.

I see that they don't carry the brand I have. I want certain brands because my HAs are something that I don't want to compromise or scrimp on. I'd rather pinch pennies elsewhere.

I also have ordered hearing aids on-line mostly analog aids. There is American hears on the web that sells digital aids with a programmer called Virtual Office that you could use to program the aids. Members of Hard of Hearing Advocates seems to like their service.

http://www.americahears.com/Products/VirtualOffice.shtm

Do they sell brand name aids??

Like Siemense , Phonal\k, Oticon ...etc??

I don't see any aid name there

Do they sell brand name aids??

Like Siemense , Phonal\k, Oticon ...etc??

I don't see any aid name there

With that site it is a private label but the advantage of that web site is that they will add the programer and cables if you are technical knowledgeable with their "virtual office system"

There is Lloyds

Buy Behind the Ear BTE Hearing Aids Online with LloydHearingAid.com

This is one place I have personally used to order a few Phonak analog hearing aids in the past.

Phonak Hearing Aids Wholesale

Sorry to jump in here like this, but registered specifically to add my two cents about internet hearing aids.
I have worn hearing aids for years and have been in the hearing aid industry for over 20 years. I am a hearing aid dealer from the State of Georgia, USA. I do not work for, but am familiar with an internet retailer called HearSource.com that does an great job with distance or internet retailing.

They (HearSource) provide an excellent product line along with everything you need to fine tune your own hearing aids yourself. I don't see how anyone could order hearing aids by mail or the internet if you were unable to make corrections or adjustments to the sound settings. In fact, many of the sound adjustments to hearing aids must be very discreet. Many times an adjustment of only one dB at one specific frequency makes all the difference in the world to the wearer. The HearSource product line provides for this.
Check out their website and see what you think at: HearSource Personal Programmable Hearing Aids

I was in a position to assist one of their customers with an earmold order and have interacted with the folks at this company. I was very impressed.

Good luck.

I'm pasting my response from another online query as I see alot of negativity in the replies and think that people need to hear that it's not all like that.

I bought my hearing aids from hearingplanet.com and I wasn't able to buy them unless I had a licensed audiologist to fit them. Due to the attitude of audiologist 4 years ago they had one in my area that they referred me to.

I had to go to her for the hearing test and the fitting. I got these digital hearing aids (Phonak Savia) for half the price it would have cost me to buy them from the audiologist. When I first visited the audi she asked me how I was going to pay $10,000 for the aids. I then explained that I had been referred to her by the Hearing Planet and she proceeded from there.

The cost of the hearing aids $5200 4 years ago included fitting with the audiologist and 2 years of checkups and adjustments. So, in my opinion, based on my experience I would encourage anyone to use this company for their next aids.

I was also able to get an interest free loan for a year on these aids. The Hearing Planet set this up for me as well with another company. It was all grand and really, I can't say enough about the good service I got and the ability to afford high end hearing aids for half the cost.

I have never heard so well in my life and it has made a huge difference to my life.

I have seen this audiologist for ongoing checkups. I have recently chosen another one to go to who says they have no probs with working with online dispensers.

So please don't knock online unless you really know all there is to know about this.

Another aside here. I buy other equipment for my hearing loss form tecear.com and other online stores as I have found that my audiologist only carries what she wants or knows about and puts her costs on the price.

I get my stuff much cheaper from online stores than I do from audiologist offices. I do alot of research before making decisions. I have also found that other online stores like Amazon.com has some hearing impaired equipment as well. I use tecear and other sites to read about it all before I decide.

I've had organizations for the deaf and audiologist recommending things that I know are not the best there is or the cheapest. So, is good to research for yourself.

Back