On a scale of 1 to 10...

martyns

Reaction score
how would you rate closed captioning/subtitling on TV at the moment, and in your opinion, how has it changed from when you first used it?

OMG! If it wasn't available, I wouldn't bother to watch TV at all.

We just changed from Comcast to Dish, and I've noticed that on Dish EVERYTHING is captioned, while Comcast has some channels that aren't.

I've only used CC for about 5 years, so I never had experiences with it before that.

omg! If it wasn't available, i wouldn't bother to watch tv at all.

We just changed from comcast to dish, and i've noticed that on dish everything is captioned, while comcast has some channels that aren't.

I've only used cc for about 5 years, so i never had experiences with it before that.

thanks for that information about dish, i will have to check it out

hi

it has improved a lot since the first time I've used CC in 90's, I believe it is more reliable now and more useful for deaf people to use when they watch TV.

I started using CC back in the 90's too and while has gotten more accurate and more prevalent it is still pretty much hit and miss. My biggest peeve is with my local news programs. Captioning is terrible even sometimes absurdly funny and they don't caption weather at all.

I am new to needing it so my experiences are brand new.....
I think it depends on what is on.... the movies are great because it keeps right up with the lines. Watching my favorite shows can be aweful..... the live shows are often 5 or 6 lines behind.. over running commercials ( which are often not captioned, not that I oft care). They can also make huge blunders like leaving whole words out after writing one or two letters. Or misspelling things awefully so that it really makes no sense at all. I am not sure how this would compare to any previous years.... and this is with Dish. HOWEVER... without it I would not be able to watch the shows at all. I would have no clue what was going on and tv would be pointless. So I am very grateful for it and would not want to loose it. My daughter, who is hearing but on the autism spectrum loves to watch the words too. My 2 cents!

CC has gotten better over the last few years, but, I do not have cable or satellite. I use the converter boxes and an antenna. The airport just 1/2 mile away scrambles the captioning big time. I gave up watching TV 9 months ago because of it. I now only use my TV for DVDs. I don't watch any television shows at all. If there's something I can't miss, then I use the internet to watch it.

comcast does about a 6-8 depending on the show. Daily Show with John Stewart is almost impossible for me to watch. they dont real time. :(

Back