Oldest Person Dies at 116...

Y

Reaction score
World's Oldest Person Dies at 116

MEMPHIS, Tenn. (Dec. 11) - Elizabeth "Lizzie" Bolden, recognized as the world's oldest person, died Monday in a nursing home, the home's administrator said. She was 116.

Bolden was born Aug. 15, 1890, according to the Gerontology Research Group, a Los Angeles organization that tracks the ages of the world's oldest people.

Guinness World Records recognized Bolden as the oldest person in the world in August after the death of Maria Esther de Capovilla of Ecuador, who also was 116.

Bolden died at the Mid-South Health and Rehabilitation Center, a nursing home where she had been living for several years, said the center's administrator, Charlotte Pierce. Bolden suffered a stroke in 2004, and her family said she spoke little after that and slept much of the time.

Family members said this year that Bolden had 40 grandchildren,
75 great-grandchildren, 150 great-great-grandchildren,
220 great-great-great grandchildren and
75 great-great-great-great grandchildren.

12/11/06 16:50 EST

World's Oldest Person Dies at 116 - AOL News

Oh, wow ! Her heart must be very strong to live that long. She was very fortunate to see her children, great-great grandchildren and grandchildren and so forth. I bet she had many wonderful memories of them all.

Rest in peace, Liz........

amazing...cant imagine what it would really be like when I live more than a hundred yrs old thou I doubt I would really live that long lol.

Wow amazing she lived that long. But I actually heard years ago there was 2 or 3 people that was older. I remember a man lived to be 117 & a woman lived to be 118. Think someone made it to 120 or 121 I'm not 100% sure on that one. But the other 2 yes I do remember. Because the woman was in the paper when I was in my teens years. The man was also in the GWBR I believe I saw back then. Have to do a little research. Maybe she was the oldest in the United States because the other 2 I remember was overseas somewhere.

Wow! That's amazing! Would I want to live to be over 100 years of age? I'm not sure, but it would be interesting to see what it would be like to live that long. :)

World's oldest person dies at 122

obit.calmet.jpg
August 4, 1997
Web posted at: 9:47 a.m. EDT (1347 GMT)
ARLES, France (CNN) -- Jeanne Calment, believed to be the world's oldest person, died Monday at age 122, according to her retirement home. No precise cause of death was given for Calment, who died in the retirement home where she spent the last 12 years of her life.
According to her birth certificate, Calment was born on February 21, 1875, about 10 years after U.S. President Abraham Lincoln was assassinated. She entered the Guinness Book of Records in 1993 as the oldest living person whose birthdate could be authenticated by reliable records.
Over the years, she became the biggest attraction in Arles since Vincent Van Gogh's visit to the town in 1888. She met Van Gogh as a girl, when the artist came to shop at her father's art supplies store, and remembered him later as "dirty, badly dressed and disagreeable."
She outlived her husband, Fernand Calment, who died in 1942, four years before their 50th wedding anniversary. She also outlived her only child, a daughter who died in 1934, and her only grandson, a doctor who died in 1963.
She also outlived a lawyer who hoped to take possession of her apartment. She lived mostly off the income from the apartment, which she sold cheaply more than 30 years ago to Andre-Francois Raffray with the understanding that he would take possession of it when she died.
He died more than a year ago at age 77 after paying $184,000, double the apartment's market value, for the property; his family was required to keep making the payments.
Though blind, nearly deaf and in a wheelchair, Calment remained spirited and mentally sharp until the end.
That was clear to those who attended her 121st birthday, when she released her CD, "Time's Mistress," which featured her reminiscing to a score of rap and other tunes.
At 85, she took up fencing lessons. At 100, she was still riding a bicycle.
And she when she finally gave up smoking two years ago, her doctor said she quit not for health reasons, but because she could no longer see well enough to light her cigarettes, and didn't want to ask someone to do it for her.
Calment credited her longevity to Port wine, a diet rich in olive oil, and her sense of humor. "I will die laughing," she predicted.
Reuters contributed to this report.

Oh, wow ! Bless Jeanne's heart ! I believe there arent' that many just like those elderly people who lived that long.

I know for sure that I don't live that long like them. :lol: It would be nice, if I knew. :D

hmmm i wonder if there were any people who heard about the worlds oldest people dying then asking, how'd they die? . . .

Wow! That's awesome that Jeanne kept her spirit alive for that long! 1875 was a TOTALLY different time. I wonder what she thought of the 21st century. Do u realize that she lived in 3 different centuries? 19th, 20th and 21st century? Amazing!

oh! My bad! I didnt notice the caption next to the picture...that was taken in 1997. Nevermind about living thru 3 centuries but I do remember 1 lady who did. Her name was Sadie Delany..born in the late 1890s died in early 2000s.

Yep... And, that's so Amazing about
how did she handle very large number
of grandchildren (40), 150 great-great-grandchildren,
220 great-great-great grandchildren and
75 great-great-great-great grandchildren and etc...

How can she remember all of them and
all of their birthdates etc ugh ?

I find this so fascinating because I am watching &
looking at my own mother who already have
over 20 grandchildren herself does have
a little hard time remember all of their birthdates
so she kept her own calendar to keep track
very carefully. One of my brother's parent-in-law
already have over 50 grandchildren where
these family reunions at the beach keep getting
bigger and bigger every year ! Looks like
a Corporation.

They even have to rent a few more beach houses
on the same block to accommodate
all of these family member together especially
on the very same block so that way they can
walk across the street visiting other houses
themselves.

Yep that's what I thought. Thanks sequoias:) So it was her I read about in the newspaper back in 1993 when she turned 118 years old.

World's oldest person dies at 122

obit.calmet.jpg
August 4, 1997
Web posted at: 9:47 a.m. EDT (1347 GMT)
ARLES, France (CNN) -- Jeanne Calment, believed to be the world's oldest person, died Monday at age 122, according to her retirement home. No precise cause of death was given for Calment, who died in the retirement home where she spent the last 12 years of her life.
According to her birth certificate, Calment was born on February 21, 1875, about 10 years after U.S. President Abraham Lincoln was assassinated. She entered the Guinness Book of Records in 1993 as the oldest living person whose birthdate could be authenticated by reliable records.
Over the years, she became the biggest attraction in Arles since Vincent Van Gogh's visit to the town in 1888. She met Van Gogh as a girl, when the artist came to shop at her father's art supplies store, and remembered him later as "dirty, badly dressed and disagreeable."
She outlived her husband, Fernand Calment, who died in 1942, four years before their 50th wedding anniversary. She also outlived her only child, a daughter who died in 1934, and her only grandson, a doctor who died in 1963.
She also outlived a lawyer who hoped to take possession of her apartment. She lived mostly off the income from the apartment, which she sold cheaply more than 30 years ago to Andre-Francois Raffray with the understanding that he would take possession of it when she died.
He died more than a year ago at age 77 after paying $184,000, double the apartment's market value, for the property; his family was required to keep making the payments.
Though blind, nearly deaf and in a wheelchair, Calment remained spirited and mentally sharp until the end.
That was clear to those who attended her 121st birthday, when she released her CD, "Time's Mistress," which featured her reminiscing to a score of rap and other tunes.
At 85, she took up fencing lessons. At 100, she was still riding a bicycle.
And she when she finally gave up smoking two years ago, her doctor said she quit not for health reasons, but because she could no longer see well enough to light her cigarettes, and didn't want to ask someone to do it for her.
Calment credited her longevity to Port wine, a diet rich in olive oil, and her sense of humor. "I will die laughing," she predicted.
Reuters contributed to this report.

I remember I watching Jeanne Calment on the news back in the way of 1997. It was
amazing to see that she lived until 122. Wow!
It's amazing to see that about her! :eek2:

Back