Old question but so am I ? Looking for latent-deaf folks.

Sheri1000

Reaction score
I suppose I can consider myself a senior citizen (or I'm close enough). I've been hearing-impaired w/changing losses (moderate-to-severe, severe, severe-to-profound, profound) and types - bone conduction was fine for a long time, now it is gone and I am both (sensori-neural). I can no longer wear a hearing aid because the ear molds do not fit and I have a lifetime of ill-fitting expenditures; it's no longer worth burning money. C.I.s are too risky and I don't trust them - there's little negative posted about them, so I don't trust what I'm reading. I know they work for some but I don't see any positive or long-term return on investment for something that costs thousands of dollars that may or may not work.

I grew up in the hearing world. I don't fit in with those born deaf and ASL. I did try learning ASL but after I was questioned by the instructor as to why I wanted to learn ASL, I thought I better give it up (after she asked me on three separate occasions). I'm using pigeon as SEE is too much work.

I only know hearing people. I've used hearing, lip-reading, and pigeon sign for many years and I don't sound deaf (now that is a problem because I don't look or sound deaf).

I do therapy dog volunteer work. People can speak the my little guy with the big ears, not me. It works. But it's one thing.

I'm mainly looking for ideas to bridge my lack of hearing to function a bit better with hearing people. A laptop only goes so far and a stylus (like a tablet with the ability to write on it - aka a pad and paper :) ... I worked in IT too long) seems useless.

:welcome:

Does "latent" deaf mean that your deafness is hidden?

(It's "pidgin," not the bird. :) )

What do deaf people look like?

I'm sorry that you quit the ASL lessons. Maybe you could give it another try.

I suppose I can consider myself a senior citizen (or I'm close enough). I've been hearing-impaired w/changing losses (moderate-to-severe, severe, severe-to-profound, profound) and types - bone conduction was fine for a long time, now it is gone and I am both (sensori-neural). I can no longer wear a hearing aid because the ear molds do not fit and I have a lifetime of ill-fitting expenditures; it's no longer worth burning money. C.I.s are too risky and I don't trust them - there's little negative posted about them, so I don't trust what I'm reading. I know they work for some but I don't see any positive or long-term return on investment for something that costs thousands of dollars that may or may not work.

I grew up in the hearing world. I don't fit in with those born deaf and ASL. I did try learning ASL but after I was questioned by the instructor as to why I wanted to learn ASL, I thought I better give it up (after she asked me on three separate occasions). I'm using pigeon as SEE is too much work.

I only know hearing people. I've used hearing, lip-reading, and pigeon sign for many years and I don't sound deaf (now that is a problem because I don't look or sound deaf).

I do therapy dog volunteer work. People can speak the my little guy with the big ears, not me. It works. But it's one thing.

I'm mainly looking for ideas to bridge my lack of hearing to function a bit better with hearing people. A laptop only goes so far and a stylus (like a tablet with the ability to write on it - aka a pad and paper :) ... I worked in IT too long) seems useless.

That is terrible that your instructor had to ask 3X why you were taking ASL class. Why not be happy that you were interested in ASL.

I'm always appreciative of people who volunteer their time with dogs. The best luck and hope you enjoy it here.

:welcome:

Does "latent" deaf mean that your deafness is hidden?

(It's "pidgin," not the bird. :) )

What do deaf people look like?

I'm sorry that you quit the ASL lessons. Maybe you could give it another try.
Oops, sorry about the misspelling. What do I know.

Latent is a new term other people have been using, so I picked it up perhaps erroneously. What I mean is I'm almost 60 and only recently would classify myself as being deaf.

Hey hey hey... I used the phrase, "I don't look deaf," for years already. My loss progressed from when I was born to present day.

I didn't quit ASL without reason. Since my own sign language teacher at a local community college was teaching a group of us sign, I just had a difficult time learning it. She obviously recognized that :) . It's a tough language to learn. Our assignments were always based on ASL. I did my best.

I ended up signing to a guy at a local huge gathering outside of where we live. HE was deaf and didn't think much of the teacher I have. The option was to go to a local bar and learn it there. I didn't find that particular environment conducive to learning ASL. Also, since I am/was hearing, SEE/pidgin (thank you) makes more sense to me.

That is terrible that your instructor had to ask 3X why you were taking ASL class. Why not be happy that you were interested in ASL.

I'm always appreciative of people who volunteer their time with dogs. The best luck and hope you enjoy it here.
The instructor brought about (it's my onus) a bit of shame for not being able to pick up the difficult language of deaf. English is really weird, too, compared with other languages and while I make fun of it, it's what I know. Kudos to those of you who can rapidly sign in ASL. I have to think about reversing the structure of English ... Instead of signing humphhh pidgin (not pigeon), "Me go store," I'd sign, "Store go." At least that's what I was taught. It goes downhill from there. And I need a body to see that and that is a problem.

Marcus is a joy and a laugh. He's a long-haired corgi. Minimally, he draws people in (and down) when they see him and they either laugh or smile. I use the line that he has the ears and I don't. People accept that and do speak to him.

Thanks for your response.

The instructor brought about (it's my onus) a bit of shame for not being able to pick up the difficult language of deaf. English is really weird, too, compared with other languages and while I make fun of it, it's what I know. Kudos to those of you who can rapidly sign in ASL. I have to think about reversing the structure of English ... Instead of signing humphhh pidgin (not pigeon), "Me go store," I'd sign, "Store go." At least that's what I was taught. It goes downhill from there. And I need a body to see that and that is a problem.

Marcus is a joy and a laugh. He's a long-haired corgi. Minimally, he draws people in (and down) when they see him and they either laugh or smile. I use the line that he has the ears and I don't. People accept that and do speak to him.

Thanks for your response.
I love corgi dogs! :)

Anyway, the key to learning ASL is to free yourself of making any connection to English. Imagine you are learning Chinese or some other language. Chinese is not a different version of English, right? It would be something new and foreign to you. Well, that's how you have to approach ASL. Don't try to make it fit into anything English. Then it won't be such a struggle.

For example, when the teacher shows the sign that is glossed CAT don't think English "c-a-t." Mentally picture "four-legged fur-ball with long twitching tail that curls up in my lap." Try to see an action picture book page in your mind, not a text book page with lines of words. DO NOT PUT ENGLISH CAPTIONS UNDER YOUR MENTAL PICTURES!

You are NOT reversing English sentence structure (toss that idea out the window). You ARE building ASL sentence structure, totally independent of English.

Yes, older people CAN learn ASL. You don't need to sign like the wind to be fluent but you do have to be conceptually accurate and clear.

I hope you find the right teacher and people to practice with.

Hi Sheri,

I am 60, struggling to learn ASL for several years, and have my Service Dog Tess by my side almost 24/7. I can really relate to your post!

Classes did not work for me at all. Have you tried Lifeprint.com and their ASL.tc? I am finally making progress... not fast, but steady. I meet with a Deaf tutor for an hour most weeks also. My brain cells rebel but I am determined. I can not use hearing aids either, and I'm a very poor surgical candidate for CI or anything else. Please don't judge your ability to learn ASL(or lack of), by the classes you took.

Oh... and I love Corgies!

I love corgi dogs! :)

... Imagine you are learning Chinese or some other language. Chinese is not a different version of English, right? It would be something new and foreign to you. Well, that's how you have to approach ASL. Don't try to make it fit into anything English. Then it won't be such a struggle.

For example, when the teacher shows the sign that is glossed CAT don't think English "c-a-t." Mentally picture "four-legged fur-ball with long twitching tail that curls up in my lap." Try to see an action picture book page in your mind, not a text book page with lines of words. DO NOT PUT ENGLISH CAPTIONS UNDER YOUR MENTAL PICTURES!

You are NOT reversing English sentence structure (toss that idea out the window). You ARE building ASL sentence structure, totally independent of English.

Yes, older people CAN learn ASL. You don't need to sign like the wind to be fluent but you do have to be conceptually accurate and clear.

I hope you find the right teacher and people to practice with.
This is much of the problem. To sign, it takes two and for the past 20 years, my partner and I have been using sign that partially combines some of the "pictures" of ASL (versus always using letter qualifiers for the word) and parts of English. I started with,"The Joy of Signing," and moved into "Signing Illustrated." Read a book written by a guy at IBM who wrote a signing book of computer signs in between. He also taught sign and it was likely SEE-based.

I understand ASL is more picture-based (so probably right-brained).

Question for you: Your writing is totally grammatically correct (your punctuation is spot-on) and you write like a person raised in a hearing world. Are you? Don't shoot me for asking. My oooolddd-young friend at work was raised deaf and I could say the same about her. What I've typically seen is raised deaf means the English structure is not always as accurate as yours.

I'm just trying to get a level-set of where you're coming from.

Thanks much for your feedback.

Hi Sheri,

I am 60, struggling to learn ASL for several years, and have my Service Dog Tess by my side almost 24/7. I can really relate to your post!

Classes did not work for me at all. Have you tried Lifeprint.com and their ASL.tc? I am finally making progress... not fast, but steady. I meet with a Deaf tutor for an hour most weeks also. My brain cells rebel but I am determined. I can not use hearing aids either, and I'm a very poor surgical candidate for CI or anything else. Please don't judge your ability to learn ASL(or lack of), by the classes you took.

Oh... and I love Corgies!
Hey, podiecat: I'll give Lifeprint.com a whirl. We're close enough to the same age. Marcus spins his life between helping me (and he does) as a service dog and getting the extra snuggles he needs as a therapy dog. It's rare but kosher. We got our first corgi after visiting Canine Companions for Independence who used corgis as their "signal" or "hearing" dogs. They are the right size and smart (enough).

A question for you, since we appear to be in similar boats. Why are you learning ASL instead of something else? With whom do you sign? The other issue is teaching people I know basic sign. English-based appears (logically) to be easier for people to learn. In my moderate loss years, I taught basic sign language after work. I was just passing on what I had learned.

Also, do you interact with hearing people? If so (other than stores... I have that figured out), how?

Hi Sheri,

My hearing loss is severe and complicated by my rare autoimmune disease, fevers over 106 four times in my life, a possible genetic component, and most likely Menier's to top it off. It became obvious only about 10 years ago but I had intense tinnitus most of my life.

I have lost most of the people I thought were my friends since my hearing left and my Service Dog came into my life. My siblings have never been close to me and certainly don't 'get it' or care at all because they are healthy and hear well. Even if their hearing became an issue they would go for hearing aids which are not an option for me. My adult kids have no interest in learning sign now, maybe never. My 11 year old Granddaughter would sign with me through summers and vacations when she was staying with me but now is not as interested.

So why do I keep on keeping on to learn ASL? Because English rarely works well for me anymore and I am pretty alone in my life other than those who are connected to Service Dogs, and connections I've made through trying to learn ASL. I have health issues and hope if I can't speak at any point I will be able to sign well enough to have an interpreter if needed. If I need to learn sign I might as well learn it the right way the first time. I also miss young children very much. I'm hoping I can eventually spend time with babies and kids who sign or are learning. I can't hear the voices of children anymore which is sad to me.

I live in Vermont and there is not a big Deaf community. There are many JW that sign but other than my Deaf tutor I have not connected with any of the Deaf Community. I still have lots of trouble understanding native signers but I have just as much trouble understanding spoken English at this point. I hope to get brave enough to tiptoe into the Deaf community this spring.

I interact with hearing people if they speak slowly, clearly, to my face and have no facial hair, sunglasses or nasal condition... And, the only ones who care to be patient enough and care enough repeating what they say.

My life revolves around Tess, and my Granddaughter when she visits. The rest of it is studying ASL, going to the dogpark and practicing ASL.

Sorry to be so long-winded. lol

Bottesini and Podiecat

Hi, Bottesini:
Asheville has a therapy animal system that has evolved over many years. Last year, the org. merged with the major hospital here. So, my request some years ago when we landed here from NY was we go where no one else wants to go. Many people wanted to work with children. I didn’t care. We raised all our dogs to be around little kids.

The answer to your question is: a) a special geriatric ward b) recently (and for a couple of years) at an outpatient cancer center for children then at an intake for children who had “issues” (sorry, I have to be a little vague) c) a school program for special needs children d) a center for those recovering from brain trauma. At “d” people learn to function their bodies by throwing balls, walking with dogs, even just reaching down and petting them is a stretch to get those muscles working. e) a senior citizen home. This is the most difficult for me for a variety of reasons but we go.

Hey, Podiecat:
I’m familiar with VT. I grew up going to a lake cabin then house outside of Brandon. Even in Burlington, when it existed with a lot more people, it seemed isolated.

When I was a kid, a friend used to come over. He was deaf. My loss was moderate and I could not hear him (or the doorbell). I had cats at the time. My friend knew the only way to get my attention was to literally meow at the door. That, I actually heard. I cannot explain it other than being attuned to my furry kids. He also had a mustache and I suggested a couple of times he wear lipstick J . When I married back East and had it video taped, we had a gathering of friends to view it. I signed the wedding song in memory of a work “friend” who out of the blue w/out knowing anything about me (I was a name on a computer, that was it) got me into signing. Part of the song involves humming. A deaf teacher and friend taught me the words – ASL / pigin combo but I threw in the “h” on my right hand and the “m” on my left. I was away from the playing of the video in my kitchen but when I was humming in sign, my deaf friend cracked up. I did that for him.

Your life sounds rather isolated. As hearing (but with trouble), I was extroverted. The lack of hearing has made me introverted and life is smaller. I find some things to adjust – like being treasurer of our owners association (treasurer because I can use spreadsheets to keep track of things and the computer. Volunteer work – the “hearing leads” know how to field all answers about my dog when I can’t understand the question.

I suppose I should go on meetup and see what’s available.

:wave:Reba, Sheri, podie and Bott,

hard for me to keep away from a conversation where dogs are mentioned:)
I know a few other dog folks with Corgis- one is another dog trainer who runs her dogs in agility; another also runs her Corgis and her Rotties in agility and lives with the brother of my youngest Rottie female. Corgis are neat dogs and I can certainly see CCFI having them as the signal alert dog of choice.

I'm a dog trainer. Some years back I volunteered some with a local service dog org. The group focused on mobility or cross-trained dogs. We'd go to malls for practice with the dogs wearing their vests and get lots of questions.

In the beginning of the time frame I mentioned above with the service dogs, I had my very first Rottie and we trained dog sports and therapy work and were registered with TDI. Then she developed idiopathic kidney disease at age 2 :cry:and my world took an entirely different turn to where it is now.

I'm 40. I started losing my hearing some years ago and had prior been exposed to the Deaf community in my area in college. At that time I worked Summers in a after-school based rec program for kids who were deaf and kids with disabilities. The program had Deaf staff; first year, of the program, we had a director who was CODA. I learned some ASL then and took a sign class in college <not really ASL, but didn't know that at the time>. Class was taught by a hearing man.

Then one day in the yard with my husband way "post-college", we were working with our second Rottie at that point and hubby took her around the corner of the house, for me to call her, as we were practicing Recalls back and forth between us. I waited and waited for him to call out to let me know he was ready and it was my turn to call our dog to me. Finally I went to find him and he met me coming his way and asked me - what were you doing, why didn't you call her? I said - I was waiting for you to tell me you were ready. He said- I yelled and yelled. I told him I hadn't heard anything.

So after a time, I re-visited my interest in ASL and met d/Deaf friends and started trying to learn ASL, this time with Deaf people - in fits and starts.
I tend to extremely visual-oriented and think in pictures; if someone says or signs "apple", immediately see an apple. I have issues with auditory processing and sequence and usually tell people who try to give me multi-step directions "show me what you want". And/or I have to model or repeat what it is I think I may have heard or understood.
I spoke very late and my parents thought I was deaf; I pointed to things I wanted.

My husband is total opposite of me and is very literal, text-based and extremely detail-oriented; electrical-engineering background. He happens to be oral deaf<Rubella Syndrome>, grew up in small rural community as an adopted child, where in his school he was the only child with HA's.
Now we sign a bit at home; it's a combo of very basic ASL and some home signs he uses as he is very shy to use ASL and it's extremely difficult for him to think differently. He has a very hard time with change/flexibility.

:wave:Reba, Sheri, podie and Bott,

hard for me to keep away from a conversation where dogs are mentioned:)
I know a few other dog folks with Corgis- one is another dog trainer who runs her dogs in agility; another also runs her Corgis and her Rotties in agility and lives with the brother of my youngest Rottie female. Corgis are neat dogs and I can certainly see CCFI having them as the signal alert dog of choice.

I'm a dog trainer. Some years back I volunteered some with a local service dog org. The group focused on mobility or cross-trained dogs. We'd go to malls for practice with the dogs wearing their vests and get lots of questions.

In the beginning of the time frame I mentioned above with the service dogs, I had my very first Rottie and we trained dog sports and therapy work and were registered with TDI. Then she developed idiopathic kidney disease at age 2 :cry:and my world took an entirely different turn to where it is now.

I'm 40. I started losing my hearing some years ago and had prior been exposed to the Deaf community in my area in college. At that time I worked Summers in a after-school based rec program for kids who were deaf and kids with disabilities. The program had Deaf staff; first year, of the program, we had a director who was CODA. I learned some ASL then and took a sign class in college <not really ASL, but didn't know that at the time>. Class was taught by a hearing man.

Then one day in the yard with my husband way "post-college", we were working with our second Rottie at that point and hubby took her around the corner of the house, for me to call her, as we were practicing Recalls back and forth between us. I waited and waited for him to call out to let me know he was ready and it was my turn to call our dog to me. Finally I went to find him and he met me coming his way and asked me - what were you doing, why didn't you call her? I said - I was waiting for you to tell me you were ready. He said- I yelled and yelled. I told him I hadn't heard anything.

So after a time, I re-visited my interest in ASL and met d/Deaf friends and started trying to learn ASL, this time with Deaf people - in fits and starts.
I tend to extremely visual-oriented and think in pictures; if someone says or signs "apple", immediately see an apple. I have issues with auditory processing and sequence and usually tell people who try to give me multi-step directions "show me what you want". And/or I have to model or repeat what it is I think I may have heard or understood.
I spoke very late and my parents thought I was deaf; I pointed to things I wanted.

My husband is total opposite of me and is very literal, text-based and extremely detail-oriented; electrical-engineering background. He happens to be oral deaf<Rubella Syndrome>, grew up in small rural community as an adopted child, where in his school he was the only child with HA's.
Now we sign a bit at home; it's a combo of very basic ASL and some home signs he uses as he is very shy to use ASL and it's extremely difficult for him to think differently. He has a very hard time with change/flexibility.
Like your husband, I am very literal, text-based, and I like to think of myself as detail-oriented. I can handle change and ASL is vastly different than anything I've used or spoken (English and a little Spanish). I worked in many jobs in the info technology field until my hearing tanked so much that I could no longer bluff my way through an interview and managing people was impossible. So, my guess is he and I are more left-brained and since you see visuals, you're more right-brained.

Marcus (fluffy corgi) is strong enough to pull a big guy in a wheel chair down linoleum floors in the senior citizen home :) . He's still the talk of the center and he did that last year. I can't imagine having Rotties. It's great you trained dogs, I think. All our corgis over the years have been Canine Companies of Good Citizens and had additional training. Recently, I learned if I use a big stick when walking Marcus, his tendency to lunge after big dogs goes away. He has a big bark but is a wuss.

My partner and I returned from a walk around the neighborhood and I asked what she heard. Through the dim (darkness) I heard coo coo and asked, "Doves?" She said yes, and other birds and traffic and wind. I didn't hear any of that. While my hearing has been getting worse for years, it was only within the last two weeks that I've run out of being able to even pass at hearing - earmolds that are 10-15 years old (unheard of) just don't work anymore and my hearing was bad before...

:wave:Sherri, yes Corgis are strong dogs, if they can herd bulls, why not pull someone who uses a wheelchair? People sometimes think of them as "small dogs" but their size and shape is a bit misleading. My agility trainer friend with the Rotties I mentioned in my previous post- she started with Rotties<lives with 4 - one is the sibling previously mentioned also; another is the dam of one of my own girls; others are from related lines. She did also have the father of both of my females but he died tragically>. Anyway, she started w/Rotts and then has also gone to the Corgis as she wanted the same type of working ability and drive, in a smaller package.

I currently volunteer in behavior modification and training at a local animal shelter. We work with dogs who either didn't pass the initial behavioral evaluation, or who are showing signs of stress and inability to cope and need additional assistance. We work basic behaviors you'd see in a basic public pet training class as well as on thing like food or other resource aggression; confidence-building, dog-dog reactivity and other things. I also assist variously in dog training classes.

My first Rottie <again mentioned before> had her CGC, TDI and TT; our second dog through rescue<Lab> earned his CGC as well. He was a shy dog and it took us a few times for that. My current youngest Rottie has her CGC and her ORT<entry to Nosework> but she is genetically shy so we will not be doing therapy work with her. My big girl female has her HIC and she is dog-reactive. I want to get her CGC but don't see therapy work as practical for her either.
With all my dogs I play agility, Nosegames and a variety of other training activities and take classes as finances and other things allow.

yeah, those are pretty old for the molds...are you gonna get new ones?
would you like to hear those sounds - the birds and so on?
I notice changes too about what I did hear before vs. now-

Yes, I've read some about the right/left brain information and find it intriguing. I think it's amazing how little we know about the brain.

This is much of the problem. To sign, it takes two and for the past 20 years, my partner and I have been using sign that partially combines some of the "pictures" of ASL (versus always using letter qualifiers for the word) and parts of English. I started with,"The Joy of Signing," and moved into "Signing Illustrated." Read a book written by a guy at IBM who wrote a signing book of computer signs in between. He also taught sign and it was likely SEE-based.
That's why I encourage others to skip all the English-based sign systems and go straight to ASL. It's a lot harder to unlearn something.

Question for you: Your writing is totally grammatically correct (your punctuation is spot-on) and you write like a person raised in a hearing world. Are you? Don't shoot me for asking. My oooolddd-young friend at work was raised deaf and I could say the same about her. What I've typically seen is raised deaf means the English structure is not always as accurate as yours.

I'm just trying to get a level-set of where you're coming from.

Thanks much for your feedback.
I'm hearing. I'm a sign language interpreter for the deaf.

Deaf people have literacy skills all over the English language continuum. For that matter, so do hearing people. :)

Back