Old Dog, New Treks

deTal

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am a late identified HoH Canadian import sorting out the meaning of life with and without hearing for the last several years. I was 50 or so before I realized I had some significant audiological issues and later was tested and advised that I needed a hearing aid for my left ear. Ironically, it wasn't until several years later when I started an ASL class and decided to test again (with moderate/severe hearing loss in both ears) that I identified as HoH. Ha! Late bloomer!

In the last 4 years since then, I've been flashing back to all kinds of strange encounters as a child in school and other places throughout my life where hearing issues probably played a significant role that I never (consciously) realized. But there were clues along the way. And I am discovering them now, several decades later.

I have continued learning ASL and participating in Deaf culture events over the last 4 years. My acutely hearing spouse has joined me in this process, so it is helpful to have a signing partner and friendly support along the way. However, the cultural tensions between Deaf and Hearing orientations are huge, frustrating, exciting, fulfilling, and maddening. I continue to paddle and ponder through these wild and wacky waters.:hmm:

Glad to see you all here. I look forward to sharing this bumpy ride.

Tom

Welcome! I really like the positive outlook you have about the changes you've been going through and the hindsight discovery.

Thanks for the welcomes.:ty:

The hindsight discoveries have a life of their own. They keep popping up in unexpected ways and lead to re-visiting encounters that never quite made sense to me before. Now I find myself on the other side of an audist culture that had no idea about who was falling between the cracks of hearing expectations, but seemed to be quick to label -- inattentive, shy, sleepy, does not apply himself, does not participate well in group activities.:doh:

Welcome! I'm new as well :) I admire your courage and dedication, and your spouse's as well! It's such a wonder how you can put all those pieces together now but not when they were happening, huh? I totally agree with your last statement on the difference in cultures. I'm shall join you discovering these new waters!

Welcome to the journey, Tessa! There must be something in the water out there in the SF Bay Area, eh?

Back