Okay - It is turned on...

Any update on how you are getting on Deflord?

R2D2

Hope I'm not hijacking Deflord's thread but anyway the process is going well so far. I've done all the important tests and it looks like I will be suitable. The surgeon just wants me to do a balance test and an MRI (I've already done a CT scan) but apart from that he is very positive. My auditory nerve responded very well to the probe. I am hoping to have surgery in about 2 months and have filled out the hospital booking sheet. :wiggle:

Glad things are moving!

R2D2

DefLord,

You remind me of when I got my implant turned on. That was a huge day in my life. I remember everything sounded like my hearing aid at first, until my brain began to realize the implant provides far more information than I could previously hear.

Congratulations! I hope all goes well!

What is your hearing loss like? I currently wear super power aids (digital), and I've got 'em cranked up right to the edge of where they overpower my molds and cause feedback. I'm not even 20 yet, and my loss has been progressive, so I'm wondering if this is something I'll be doing in another 5-10 years - especially since my ear drum continues to lose integrity.

So how many dB of loss do you have?

ci?

wow! can you make out music vocals on radio? i wear 2 behind the ears and music sounds like static and gives me a headache i dont listen anymore but would like too. i am happy for you,ho
pe everyday gets clearer for ya! saywhatt

Ismi,

I think you are right to be concerned. My non progressive residual hearing gave out 4 months ago after years and years of wearing powerful hearing aids. I am 35 now to give you an idea. It wasn't a gradual loss, it was sudden so I had no warning that things were going that way. Before then I was pretty blase about what I subjected my ears to as I was unaware that I was at greater risk of sudden loss just by virtue of having a hearing loss.

I would do your research on CIs but for the time being ensure that you protect your ears from all acoustic environments that put it under pressure. That means no loud music, taking breaks when you are in background noise scenarios and so on. Don't push yourself beyond your limits because you are in a hearing world. Maybe you can have CIs at a later point and benefit from better technology than there is now.

My hearing loss before the sudden loss was in the range of 85 - 105db. Now it's 120db+ I can't wait for my implant.

R2D2

Alright here is my update...

Well I admit after a few weeks I had my CI I was getting extremely fustrated and annoyed with it... There was NO question that my hearing was better because I could hear all the sounds I never heard before but my COMPREHENSION was HORRIBLE! So I just let it fly - and just kept being patient - I think I was trying too hard as well. Well about 2 weeks ago my daughter is playign softball and I am one of the coaches so we had softball tryouts - amazingly I was able to keep up (I used to coach my son's baseball team and I felt bad because I slowed the process down because I had to keep checking and asking over and over) well this time I had to ask to repeaat only twice out of 170 girls. So I was like wow! But I was STILL getting fustrated because I couldnt use teh phone. Well so I figured well it is a bit of progress and then last weekend I went to go see Hoodwinks with my kids (I Rarely go to movies unless it is OC) I didnt want to go because I didn't want to sit there and not understand a thing. Well during the whole movie to tell you the truth I was able to understand more than 70% of what was being said. Which has ALWAYS been unheard of for me. So I was feeling a bit better about this whoel thing. Then this week we have a vendor here working at our office and all week I have been in meetings - I have been able to KEEP up with every meeting without the use of the interpreter. And yesterday I was in not one but TWO teleconference calls and was able to understand about 95% of the conversations. and as well finally was able to make 3 calls on my cell phone using my CI. SO the Progress is DEFINITELY there! I have to say I am pleased and I do think this will be my way to remove that glass ceiling and moving up the work place.

So other than that - I have to say I have been very pleased with the results - even though it wasnt going as fast as I'd like. :)

Now the results may or may NOT be the same for everyone!

Glad to hear things are moving along!

Yea, its great with hearing things is so much easier and less stressful. I noticed that very quickly. In fact my lipreading skills have dipped due to focusing more on listening then reading faces. :D

yup! My lip reading skills has dropped too.. I was in an office in another room and a lady in the other room was talking to me and I was able to carry on a conversation with her.

Wow, thanks for the update. I know it must have been frustrating for you (time always goes slower when it's you waiting!) but I'm surprised you've made that much progress considering you haven't been switched on for that long (4 months ago?). Very encouraging! Were you able to use the phone before having a CI or was this the first time? It would be lovely if I could go to a movie without captions! I've only been to one movie where I heard enough speech to know what was going on "The Hand that Rocks the Cradle" (yes that is how long ago!).

R2D2

Actually I was able to use the phone on my hearing aid ear.. (so but it has downgraded) On the ear I have my CI on - I have NEVER wore a hearing aid on that ear. So - but only thing is it is taking time. It is progress and Im pleased so far. And no I got activated on Dec 8th so almost 2 months ago. My boss has been surprised as of late cuz I have been catching some things he has been saying and he is like what? You heard me say that. So, before he could talk behind my back - but NOT anymore!

Back