Ok, I have a dumb question...

There is quite a lot you can do without needing to hear. Voc Rehab place me as a janitor, back in the dark ages.

I didn't enjoy it and started doing pet care for myself, and did that for many years.

Usually you can think of something.

There is quite a lot you can do without needing to hear. Voc Rehab place me as a janitor, back in the dark ages.

I didn't enjoy it and started doing pet care for myself, and did that for many years.

That's very good business. I knew about it before.

Absolutely, Botti....even I washed dishes for a few months, did house cleaning...manufacturing....even odd jobs after I retired...."Flipping Burgers" is a job, temporarily, until you can get some training/schooling for a better career move.

Lady...ur boss has already cut ur hours at the gas station....would working in a restaurant allow you to make more $$ right now?...It's never too late to go back to school and work at the same time....Perhaps choose a career that is interesting for you and want to pursue....get some training and work around the hours, (work/school).

do you work?

if not - are you working on getting a job?

No, I dont work. Right now, I am laying low,ya know not looking for jobs. I have good work history and am thinking about going CDL classes.

I had a job in 2007 and worked 26 straight days on 3rd shift. (Double overtime) I love making money. It just tough right now.

From Experience: It depends on the state you live in but you should qualify it may take you to appeal it a few times before your approved but they would have to pay you from they day you apply if you keep appealing it ID go for it some states require you to only work a minimum amount but there is no reason for you not to recive it

HOpe this helps good luck hun I know its stressful some people are ignorent as hell

AND DO NOT LET YOUR FRIENDS TELL YOU THAT YOU CANNOT WORK THAT IS BS... My sons interpretor to teach him asl is deaf and not oral at all so that is bogous you can even do that job if you know asl interpretors are always going to be in demand for teachers of IEP meetings or hearing parents of a deaf IEP meeting or ect....

AND DO NOT LET YOUR FRIENDS TELL YOU THAT YOU CANNOT WORK THAT IS BS... My sons interpretor to teach him asl is deaf and not oral at all so that is bogous you can even do that job if you know asl interpretors are always going to be in demand for teachers of IEP meetings or hearing parents of a deaf IEP meeting or ect....

Try telling the potential employers that. This is where many deaf run into trouble. As soon as they find out we can't use the phone, the interview is over in a lot of cases if not all.

Deaf can do the work, the trouble is that those who could hire us may not agree.

No, I dont work. Right now, I am laying low,ya know not looking for jobs. I have good work history and am thinking about going CDL classes.

I had a job in 2007 and worked 26 straight days on 3rd shift. (Double overtime) I love making money. It just tough right now.

ah ok.

why are ya laying low? police's looking for you? :lol:

What about applying for data entry jobs..soemthing like that?

I worked as a mailroom clerk for Farmer's Insurance, a secretary/clerk for a construction comapany and a filing clerk at a bookstore. Pretty basic jobs that can get you by while you pursue school for the career you want.

I would absolutely LOVE to go back to school, but the only way I can do that is if I can find a job that will give me stable hours. I am losing hours now (went from 35hrs to 20 or 16 in a week) but my boss is no where near understanding or cares about his employees. He expects you to work around HIS schedule year round its awful.

And past interviews I've had turned out terrible.

I'm going to look into some of the jobs you guys recommended, my co-worker said I should try for partial unemployment today. I'm just feeling a little... low self-esteem I guess?

Last edited:
Your post looks like something I would put on here. I'm in the same boat. My hearing is profound in both ears. I still work full time at a job that is unstable right now. I too would love to go back to school. I talked with VRS a couple of weeks ago. They basically said that if I got laid off to give them a call. I left there more confused and scared than before I went in. They couldn't tell me how they could help me??? I pressed them for for information but they just kept saying "wait until you are laid off". I have often wondered about SSDI since my hearing falls into the 90dbls criteria in both ears, but even that seems questionable. I have read that there is no guarantee even with that. I have a college degree but the the job market is so competitive. I even went for a job interview where the only qualification was a GED and there was a 20,000 dollar a year pay cut. 3 weeks later I get a letter saying sorry, another candidate was selected.......talk about humbling

If your hearing has decreased since the last time you applied, it can't hurt to apply. The worst that can happen is they say no again.

I've never gotten it my self so I don't have first hand knowledge, but you've put into it by working so you should get it if you are entitled to it.

Actually, you already have a job with cut hours so perhaps that would work if you went back to school?

Back