Ohio Inmate Traumatized After Failed Execution

I agree! Send in Jiro with a one-edged razor blade. I'm sure he can find it since those overpaid nincompoops can't!

I rather not. :cold:

they should do it by how the unwanted animals die, by stabbing the needle through the heart and inject the drugs. i had to do community service when i was a teenager at the spca and thats how they do it. it made me cry to see that done to the animals, but for a murderer,i wont even shed a crocodile tear.

2nd Attempt to Execute Ohio Killer Further Delayed.....

COLUMBUS, Ohio – A federal judge on Tuesday further delayed an unprecedented second attempt to put a condemned rapist and killer to death by lethal injection.

U.S. District Court Judge Gregory Frost's order, which pushes a hearing on the fate of inmate Romell Broom from next week to Nov. 30, was unopposed by the state. It gives the state and Broom's attorneys time to gather more information to argue over trying to execute Broom again for the 1984 rape and murder of a teenage girl he abducted at knifepoint in Cleveland.

Gov. Ted Strickland stopped Broom's Sept. 15 execution after about two hours when executioners failed to find a usable vein. No Ohio governor has issued a similar last-minute reprieve since the state resumed executions in 1999.

Broom, who said he was stuck with needles as many as 18 times, was seen weeping during the procedure and later complained of painful needle sticks into his bone and muscles.

During the execution attempt, he even tried to help the executioners secure his death. He turned over on his left side, slid rubber tubing designed to clarify his veins up his left arm, then began moving the arm up and down while flexing and closing and opening his fingers. The execution team was able to access a vein, but it collapsed when technicians tried to insert saline fluid.

Broom then became visibly distressed, turning over on his back and covering his face with his hands while crying.

His attorneys have sued in state and federal courts to prevent a second execution attempt, saying it would be cruel and unusual punishment.

Executioners claimed they couldn't find a usable vein because Broom had used intravenous drugs in the past.

"Medical team having problem maintaining an open vein due to past drug use," said a minute-by-minute log the Department of Rehabilitation and Correction kept during the execution.

But Broom's brother questioned the allegation of intravenous drug use.

"He did not do drugs," Randall Broom said Tuesday. "I know he smoked a little marijuana. But the hard drugs, no."

He said the state shouldn't get a second chance to execute his brother.

"It's like double jeopardy," he told The Associated Press. "They couldn't do it. So why should they do it again? They should have did it the first time."

Romell Broom, 53, was sentenced to die for the rape and stabbing death of 14-year-old Tryna Middleton.

Cuyahoga County prosecutor Bill Mason has called Broom's allegations about cruel and unusual punishment ironic given the nature of his crime.

"I am absolutely certain," Mason said last week, "that it was Tryna Middleton that suffered from cruel and unusual punishment."

Strickland's decision to stop the execution and grant a one-week reprieve appeared to be unprecedented since capital punishment was declared constitutional and the nation resumed executions in the 1970s. Inmates in several states have experienced delays with the injection of lethal chemicals, but those executions always proceeded the same day.

2nd attempt to execute Ohio killer further delayed - Yahoo! News

Mod note:

Thread has been merged.

is this method the same as euthanasia?? If so, I wonder what is worst natural death or euthanasia.

I wonder how much the tax payers had to pay on the first attempt. :shock:

It is more expensive to execute a death row inmate, than it is to let him serve life.

The man admitted he is ready to die so he doesn't have to live in prison for the rest of his life. Why give him what he wants? Let him rot in prison!!

Save the tax payers money and at the same time let him suffer in prison.

if a person was innocent, he would hate to rot to jail too.

is this method the same as euthanasia?? If so, I wonder what is worst natural death or euthanasia.

what's worst? definitely euthanasia because it's against your will. in natural death - while the pain is very agonizing (understandable).... at least you die on your accord.

what's worst? definitely euthanasia because it's against your will. in natural death - while the pain is very agonizing (understandable).... at least you die on your accord.

I thought euthanasia could also be consensual. From what I understand, some people with grim a prognosis opt to be euthanized.

I thought euthanasia could also be consensual. From what I understand, some people with grim a prognosis opt to be euthanized.

Yes, euthanasia can be consenual. But it is illegal in the U.S. Physician assisted suicide is legal in 2 states. We've had several in depth discussions in times past about those topics. The basic difference between euthanasia and PAS is the manner of administration of the drugs. Because another individual can administer the meds, there is no safeguard protecting autonomy and insuring that it was consensual.

that would be called "Voluntary Euthanasia"

Back