oh lots of questions

Joy

Reaction score
ok i have alot of questions about asl as i m just a beginner

what is pse qq

why are there different ways to sign one word qq (my friend will sign "how" by the hands-together-turning-upside-down way but i see how signed sometimes with the left and right hand in the y shape, together, and the left hand rocking forward and back but staying still)

double pronouns u how u vs how u which is correct qq

how do u indicate that what you said was a question other than facial expression q is there like a questionmark or do you sign question or what qq

pse = pidgin sign language i think? It's a hybrid of SEE and ASL. Some deaf people are known to use pidgin.

as for the rest of the q's, I'm sure others more knowledgeable will supply the answers. :)

MY turn... lol

How do you like learning ASL? What about it have you discovered to be interesting?

PSE (Pidgin Sign English) is a mix of ASL (American Sign Language) and SEE (Signing Exact English). I like PSE.

Joy said:

why are there different ways to sign one word qq (my friend will sign "how" by the hands-together-turning-upside-down way but i see how signed sometimes with the left and right hand in the y shape, together, and the left hand rocking forward and back but staying still)

I learned two signs for 'how'. One uses 'C' handshapes together with palm orientation going from down to up (both hands). Other sign uses 'C' handshapes with non-dominant hand staying still (palm towards chest) and other hand rotating from palm down to palm up.

how do u indicate that what you said was a question other than facial expression q is there like a questionmark or do you sign question or what qq

Learned 3 ways:
Sign 'question' then ask it.

Raise eyebrows when asking Y/N question or lower eyebrows for 'wh' question. It's easier to show than explain in English. Sorry if not clear. Maybe Reba can help.

After question use modified 'X' (palm out) and wiggle index finger with raised eyebrows.

PSE is Pidgon Signed English

Hi Joy,
Yes, the others are right, PSE means Pidgon Signed English.
Some deaf use it and some use SEE Siging Exact English.
Most deaf use ASL.
I use ASL.
Its alot faster,you don't sign every word, your just getting the point across.
Learn all you can.
Margie
Dir. of Commuication Services
OCDAC
I use ASL when I interpret too.

ASL.........PSE.........SEE

PSE is between ASL and SEE.

Do you SEE any PSE or ASL?

Richard

I agree with Richard

SEE, PSE, is between ASL.
Do you see what we mean.
Margie

Joy said:

what is pse qq

As people have posted, PSE is Pidgin Signed English, it is also known as contact sign. It is somewhere between English and ASL. PSE can be very strong English, or almost pure ASL, there is no PSE signing system. It exists because when hearies start learning ASL, or deafies who know SEE start learning ASL, they don't know the correct ASL word order. They use ASL signs, but add in extra words and/or use English word order. A beginning signer's PSE is usually a lot more English based than an advanced signer's PSE.

Joy said:
Different people have different styles. Every deaf person has their own way of signing, just as every hearing person has their own way of speaking. No one is exactly alike; although family members tend to speak similarly. Yes, it is true, sometimes there is more than one sign for the same word; (don't ask me how many signs there are for computer, starbucks, and McDonalds, whew) but there are also so many English words that mean the exact same thing. Why do English speakers need to use a thesaurus so much?
Sometimes different words are used for formality. "How come?' vs. "Why?" In ASL you see this with the sign "join." There are levels of formality in both languages.
To show you an example though of how much English uses different words with the same meaning:

synonyms for happy:

blessed, blest, blissful, blithe, can't complain, captivated, cheerful, chipper, chirpy, content, contented, convivial, delighted, ecstatic, elated, exultant, flying high, gay, glad, gleeful, gratified, hopped up, intoxicated, jolly, joyful, joyous, jubilant, laughing, light, lively, looking good, merry, mirthful,
overjoyed, peaceful, peppy, perky, playful, pleasant, pleased, satisfied, sparkling, sunny, thrilled, tickled, tickled pink, up, upbeat

synonyms for grumpy:
bad-tempered, bearish, bitchy, cantankerous, captious, choleric, contrary, crabbed, cranky, critical, cross, crotchety, crusty, difficult, disagreeable, dissatisfied, dour, grouchy, huffy, ill-humored, ill-natured, irascible, irritable, morose, obstinate, ornery, peevish, perverse, petulant, prickly, quarrelsome, snappish, sour, stuffy, surly, testy, vinegarish, vinegary, wrinkly

(for hundreds more check out thesaurus.com)

We English speakers have no right to complain about the synonyms in ASL, they are virtually non-existent compared to those in English. Also, sometimes there may seem to be synonyms when really they are just being conceptually accurate,
i.e.
run: run for office, go for a run, run in your tights, runny nose, etc.
there are different signs for all of these, but just so that they send across the right image, all are clear.

Joy said:
double pronouns u how u vs how u which is correct qq
Well, in my ASL classes I have learned to use the double pronoun for emphasis or for clarity. I have never seen "u how u" but I have seen " u happy u" "u bored u." ASL books generally teach to use it all the time, although I don't see deaf people use it a lot. Maybe the books just teach it that way to get out of thinking in English word order and start thinking in ASL. Hopefully someone else can answer this question better.

Joy said:
You only have to use facial expression most of the time. A "moving x" where u just move the top joint of ur index finger up and down is another way to add a question, but I've only seen this done for two reasons.
It can be done for emphasis. The second way is a little more complicated. It can be done if u r surprised and/or trying to clarity something.
i.e. "daughter mine pregant"
response "pregnant qq"
comment:"I age 53"
response: "53 qq"

Hope I answered your questions, please post more, this is a great place to exchange information. BTW, if anyone sees wrong information, please correct me - I'm always willing to learn.

On a final note, JOY, I am a sign language student and I am absolutely passionate about learning ASL, I think it is such an awesome way to communicate. Almost everyone is frustrated in the beginning, but just keep on signing!

that answers alot of my questions my friend is amused when i ask a question because i just look confused (usually because i am *ahem*)

that helps alot. at work when i type in asl i used the double pronoun until 3 people lectured me about it then i stopped.

i learned new words today, but only 4 of them are rated G (yeah, i know learned bad sign first, bad student i am, hahaha) work, and, to, and interpreter. Working on "need", "go", "he/she/it", and "please (i usually sign "sorry" instead of please by accident).

Pidgin Sign. I'll remember that.

Some stuff I like about learning ASL is that I get to spend alot of time with people who I otherwise would have never known, and getting into a culture I know relatively little-to-nothing about. It also helps me because I can do my job better knowing how ASL is signed then translating written ASL from text to words and then words to the right text so it makes sense to the person I'm typing to. Accurate communication is always appreciated by anyone.

grew up pse myself before going into see then asl.. boy i got all my sign language screwd up... lol.

And then there is "CASE". That is Conceptually Accurate Signed English. Some schools are using that instead of PSE.

I use PSE

Write ASL/English - really confused

Mostly of time, I had hard time to understand deaf who uses ASL. I had to figure in my head before I answer or asking the queston like repeat. It feel *bushful* to ask them but I have to!

SEE is english exact of signing language... I use in Alabama before I moved to Texas. I know some went to SEE program so I went to ASL program in Dallas but I am PSE because I sign lot different than ASL or SEE.

I required oral with signning (total communication) and I can not understand person without using TC... I can understand signning itself if ASL -- oops I need my head to work on that, too. :)

Reba said:
And then there is "CASE". That is Conceptually Accurate Signed English. Some schools are using that instead of PSE.

Reba, I haven't heard a lot about CASE. Do you, or does anyone for that matter, know how that is working out with deaf kids? To me, using CASE sounds like a really good way to teach deaf kids English. hmmm... just wondering, Kelsey

Back