Office Suite Softwares

taurizs

Reaction score
What Office Suite Software do you use?

LibreOffice?
Microsoft Office?
WordPerfect Office?
etc...

I get Microsoft office at a discount from work, but I also have Open Office which is free at home. Unless you are doing serious work at home, you don't need the full capabilities of Microsoft Office. It nice to have, but it's not needed.

Today, open source software is really good quality compared to what free software was years ago.

I have used OpenOffice for the last few years, I think it's fine.

A girl on my ASL course bought a new laptop and needed an office suite but was fretting over the cost of MS Office (even with the student/teacher edition's discount) so I installed OpenOffice for her. A few weeks later I asked how it was going and she said she hated it!

I hated what little of Microsoft Office I have used. I am old enough to have come from WordStar. When it was time to change from that WordPerfect was not the constant aggravation that Microsoft Office was for me.

I know I have opened and used Excel and Word files with WordPerfect's suite and the Presentations part of it says it can handle Powerpoint files. Having reason to open these comes from what is submitted by others for our church newsletter. Otherwise as a retiree what I use is up to me. The compatibly does make using things contributed by others, mainly via email, easier.

I have stayed with WordPerfect.

A girl on my ASL course bought a new laptop and needed an office suite but was fretting over the cost of MS Office (even with the student/teacher edition's discount) so I installed OpenOffice for her. A few weeks later I asked how it was going and she said she hated it!

She is not only the one. I tried OpenOffice and I hate it so much. Too limited and not works very well from .docx format due templates issue. So I am perfect happy with M$ Office 2011.

I use ms office. still on 2007 version. I have downloaded openoffice for my kids so they can open and modify documents/spreadsheets. for some of my friends who are chicken to try something new - I just download the viewers for them so they can read the spreadsheets or publisher ,etc so they can view things . If they feel the need to edit it - either go with open office or pony up the cash for other software.

I use OpenOffice and it works just fine. It just isn't compatible with most people that I contact with as they use MS Office. I have to convert files over to PDF or excell all the time which can be taxing... so I will have to pony up to get MS Office eventually.

I use OpenOffice and it works just fine. It just isn't compatible with most people that I contact with as they use MS Office. I have to convert files over to PDF or excell all the time which can be taxing... so I will have to pony up to get MS Office eventually.

See post #4. I prefer WordPerfect and went to their WordPerfect Office X4 (no longer the latest version) because of conversion of M$ docx files received from others. It usually runs less that M$ to buy and will open these files without intervention from you. You may see a box flash saying it converting as it opens; but you don't have to do anything and it is not time consuming.

See post #4. I prefer WordPerfect and went to their WordPerfect Office X4 (no longer the latest version) because of conversion of M$ docx files received from others. It usually runs less that M$ to buy and will open these files without intervention from you. You may see a box flash saying it converting as it opens; but you don't have to do anything and it is not time consuming.

I saw. That's good to know. I will keep that in mind when ultimately making my purchase. Thanks!

She is not only the one. I tried OpenOffice and I hate it so much. Too limited and not works very well from .docx format due templates issue. So I am perfect happy with M$ Office 2011.

Same here. :ugh:

Same here unfortunately. Another student and I were working on a presentation and she was doing it in Powerpoint and then sending it to me to proofread and check. I was limited in what I could check as the formatting in Presentation (OpenOffice's equivalent) would often be off and I'd see problems that didn't exist because Presentation wouldn't accurately reproduce what she'd done. In the end it meant more work for her as I couldn't help.

OpenOffice is something that takes patience. It's not exactly Microsoft Office, but it gets the job done... especially for word documents.

I use OpenOffice
I use it solely for Word documents though.

Same but I just made my first OpenOffice slideshow presentation and... I was quite surprised at how nice it came out and was very easy to put together.

I'm still getting MS Office anyway. It's what I need.

MS Office; was able to get it for home through work for a discount. Open Office on my Linux box, but miss some of the MS shortcuts/mouse functions.

It seems that someone at Microsoft thought of requiring computer manufactures to include MS Office on those machines they wanted to put Windows on turning into a real money tree.

It appears that most people didn't look beyond what came on their computer for office suites; later resulting in many upgrade sales for M$.

Back