Offensive Helen Keller Play

joycem137

Reaction score
A deeply offensive Helen Keller remake

Ran into this while reading about LGBT news on my Facebook page. Basically, it's the Helen Keller story turned into an over the top, offensive, drag burlesque show.

On a placard as you enter: "This play will be deeply offensive to the deaf/blind community, so please don't tell them. Keep your hands shut!"

As an LGBT woman, I think drag is just fine, but I dislike the cheap jokes mocking "Helen Stellar" being deaf/blind. Example: "Whenever Helen totters dangerously close to the edge of the stage in his high heels, his father zaps him with an electric dog collar he’s forced to wear."

Ugh.

I've found that the root of many drag shows/comedy shows is the shock factor. I think (from their position) the more offensive they are, the better it is. My cousin is a well known Drag Queen (for him it's a job, rather than a lifestyle). I've been to a few of his shows and there were comments made that were over the top and against what I believe is appropriate. However, I take it for what it is. It is a show intended to shock people and take them outside their comfort zone.

Back