Off to my first Silent Weekend

Hollykins1

Reaction score
I'm leaving this morning for my first Silent Weekend event. This particular one is in Orlando. While I realize MOST of the participants will be interpreters rather than Deaf, the total immersion is something I am looking forward to. (and a little scared about too...)

I ended up signing up for the Fledgling version since I kept having to bow out of ASL classes due to Meniere's rearing it's ugly head each time I tried a class. I've got the Meniere's mostly under control after surgery, but my hearing keeps taking bigger and bigger dips. So I am determined to keep at it!

See you all when I get back. :wave:

Enjoy urself!...Orlando is a fun city..so all work and no play makes Holly a dull lady!

HI, I live in Florida and looking to connect with the Deaf community (I AM DEAF), would you mind sending me a message of future events? THANK YOU

Wish I could go, but have fun for all of us. Hope to see you at one of your deaf coffee chats soon.

HI, I live in Florida and looking to connect with the Deaf community (I AM DEAF), would you mind sending me a message of future events? THANK YOU

HomePage

Check into here. I am a member. There is also a deaf church on Sunday mornings here.

I will check it out thanks! are there more people in the West Palm or South Florida area on here?

I will check it out thanks! are there more people in the West Palm or South Florida area on here?

I think I'm the only other WPB, but there are a few in South Florida and more in North and Central Florida.

Let us know how it goes!

I've been to a Silent Weekend Retreat once when I was in college. It wasn't fancy, just something the interpreter support department hosted. :)

I had a GREAT time! I live fairly near Orlando so I do get some fun near there. (I'm a Disney fanatic...)

The Silent Weekend was well worth it for me. I am in that place where the Fledgling class was a little too basic for me, yet I just didn't know enough to get enough out of the beginner's classes. My receptive skills really need work. My friends were SO patient with me as many times I'd just blank when they'd sign something to me.

However, immersion does help - and by the end of the weekend I found I WAS picking up what was being signed much better.

The start of the weekend had an example of how some hearing people treat and think about Deaf people! I was coming off the elevator and going to my room. There was a group of three young women. They were making fun of a man they'd apparently just recently encountered. One of them bumped into me and almost knocked me into a wall. I signed, "be careful!". As I walked down the hall - they were saying, "geesh - there is ANOTHER one...." Sigh...

BTW, the ASL Improv Show was excellent. If any of you ever get the chance to see Keith Wahn, Peter Cook, or Wink Smith - go! My stomach hurt so bad from laughing my ASL off....

Back