Odd sensation/feeling in Walmart entrance?

etalton

Reaction score
This may sound strange, as it does to me, but I am wondering if anyone else has a had a strange pulsating, beeping sensation in the entrance to Walmart where one of those new Redbox DVD rental machines are set up? I work in one and was updating the missing children's board when it happened to me. At first I thought I had gotten too close to the theft alarms and set them off but the exit greeter said no, that was not the case. The beeping sound was from the Redbox dvd rental machine. But, he didn't know what I meant about the pulsating feeling. It almost made me feel ill and I had to turn off my processor. It kind of freaked me out and I don't know what made it happen. Perhaps the electrical signal or the pitch? Just don't know.

It's probably the location of those Redbox machines. They're probably beeping to get the attention of their customers. Otherwise, customers are just gonna see a big red box and ignore it.

It's probably the location of those Redbox machines. They're probably beeping to get the attention of their customers. Otherwise, customers are just gonna see a big red box and ignore it.

The beeping I can understand. As you say, noise to attract the customer. But the pulsating feeling? That is what freaked me out.

The beeping I can understand. As you say, noise to attract the customer. But the pulsating feeling? That is what freaked me out.

I have hear that the security gates that stop shoplifting can mess with CI's.

I have hear that the security gates that stop shoplifting can mess with CI's.
That was my first thought faire_jour, but they said they didn't go off. Is it possible for them to silently mess with CI's? If so, why only on one side of the store? I had to change the signs on both sides and had no trouble with the other one. Maybe it is the combination of the machine and the gates? :hmm:

ET!! ET!! its the aliens trying to comunicate!!! sorry.. i honestly dont know why it would do that i dont have a CI. yet.

sorry for being off-topic, but what is a redbox dvd rental machine?
It's okay Lisa. As stated, they are big, automated vending machines that are supposed to make your life easier. You can get all you need at walmart, including a rental movie. Just another way we found to get your money. And yes, I am being very sarcastic. I love working there, but sometimes find the company has gotten too power/money hungry.

ET!! ET!! its the aliens trying to comunicate!!! sorry.. i honestly dont know why it would do that i dont have a CI. yet.

Wait a minute, I never did hear "ET phone home". Are you sure???? :)

Wait a minute, I never did hear "ET phone home". Are you sure???? :)

of course! they communicate by beeps! remember close encounters of the third kind?!?! i think that was the movie.

It's okay Lisa. As stated, they are big, automated vending machines that are supposed to make your life easier. You can get all you need at walmart, including a rental movie. Just another way we found to get your money. And yes, I am being very sarcastic. I love working there, but sometimes find the company has gotten too power/money hungry.

interesting. :hmm:

:ty: for the explanation. :)

Is there a Mcdonalds in that Walmart? I've learned it is not Walmart but Mcdonalds that are putting those Redbox out.

Is there a Mcdonalds in that Walmart? I've learned it is not Walmart but Mcdonalds that are putting those Redbox out.

not sure about mcdonalds doing that.. in the walmart here it has one of those things near the door too and there is a subway inside not mcdonalds.

While Redbox is a subsidiary of McDonald's, they apparently teamed up with walmart to put the machines in. We don't have a mcdonalds in our store either, ours is subway and that varies from place to place. I have seen all different types of fast food in walmarts. Dunkin donuts, blimpies, even heard there are some baskin robbins. We used to have a mcdonalds in our store years ago but when we remodeled, they left we had a snack bar for a while, then the subway moved in. there was some dispute at the time over the food center moving to the rear of the store, instead of the front.

The security machines have interfered with my HAs before as well as the florescence lights

Cell phones that are getting ready to signal or ring does sometimes too.

causing a clicking sounds or buzzing sounds in my HA's

not sure about mcdonalds doing that.. in the walmart here it has one of those things near the door too and there is a subway inside not mcdonalds.
I've been to Walmart Neighborhood Markets and they have RedBox. (They don't even have a fast food joint.)

I've been to Walmart Supercenters that have Subway and they still have RedBox.

You might have "heard" the effect of the security gate's magnetic field affect your hearing device. I'm used to this as I often refer to this as sniffing out security points.

Another possible source is a ultrasonic detection alarms that uses ultrasonic sound waves to detect a person in a sound field. While those sounds waves are not audible they are known to overload micophones and can create distortion in some hearing aids. This has been documented in some cases by SHH or HLLA as it is now called. I do not have a problem in Walmart but in a local Home Depot at one time when my CI was distorting the sounds and it only happen in one part of the store.

Back