Odd Hearing Change in 3 years plus new hearing aids

BananaFana

Reaction score
This is my audiogram from 2010
2wqrj7t.jpg

This is my audiogram from last week
2v366iu.jpg

I'm not sure if you can tell from the photos but my ears pretty much switched places exactly.

Now I suffer from a chronic illness and also suffer from tinnitus so maybe that's what caused the difference? My left ear is the most affected by the ringing now where in the past it was my right.

In other news they've ordered me hearing aids! They ordered a new one that was midline in price but a step up from their cheapest. Insurance is covering 80%. Unfortunately because they are new there's no exciting colors BUT the audiologist said that if they come out with colors within 90 days she'll send mine back and get me some fun colored ones.

I picked the shape and shell of the blue one below with one white and one black
tumblr_inline_mtyd1s9Rci1r997zg.jpg

We're starting with the little ear pieces they come with BUT she said especially in my left ear if I'm getting a lot of feedback we'll go to a molded ear piece instead.

Um..... sorry for just jumping in?

:hmm: I am interested if Ecp will show up and give us a scientific assessment of this phenomena.

:hmm: I am interested if Ecp will show up and give us a scientific assessment of this phenomena.

I have another chronically ill friend who had the same thing happen with her ears over the course of two years. She's seeing a Neuro-otologist tomorrow and was going to question him about it.

My audiologist said it was likely related to my genetic connective tissue disease and the tinnitus but I'd love other thoughts on it

Could it be so simple that audiologist brainfarted left and right and there was actually no change?

Could it be so simple that audiologist brainfarted left and right and there was actually no change?

That is a GOOD possibility! I know the current audiologist tried to talk to the old one and couldn't actually get her on the phone. They just communicated entirely with fax.

I mean I would HOPE she wouldn't make a mistake like that but doctors are NOT infallible

That is a GOOD possibility! I know the current audiologist tried to talk to the old one and couldn't actually get her on the phone. They just communicated entirely with fax.

I mean I would HOPE she wouldn't make a mistake like that but doctors are NOT infallible

LOL I actually did that one time thinking one's left and one's right

btw the blue hearing aid looks like mine but mine is purple
(talk about purple swag)

But wouldn't of her tinnitus not swapped ears as well? More noisier in her left ear now rather then her right. :)

But wouldn't of her tinnitus not swapped ears as well? More noisier in her left ear now rather then her right. :)

Yeah I'm pretty sure they are accurate. It used to be harder to hear out the right side and then that changed. The buzzing seems to be all in the left now.

My buzzing isn't a buzzing or ringing but it's like a tone from the audiologists tht got stuck on and you hear it ALL the time. It's maddening

I when to ENT Dr. because I was getting earaches in my left ear and I told the Dr. loud sound made my ear hurt more. He had me take a hearing test and the audiologist was in training . During the hearing test I was trying to tell the woman I was getting an earache but she said did not answer me.
When the test was over I found the audiologist forgot to turn on the volume so she could hear me! She really had a brainfarted!

I when to ENT Dr. because I was getting earaches in my left ear and I told the Dr. loud sound made my ear hurt more. He had me take a hearing test and the audiologist was in training . During the hearing test I was trying to tell the woman I was getting an earache but she said did not answer me.
When the test was over I found the audiologist forgot to turn on the volume so she could hear me! She really had a brainfarted!

There ya go :laugh2:

omg ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!! when my test was over, my audi forgot to do the tympometery on me!

I'm late to the game and honored that my science know how is appreciated.
Any number of things can cause decreases in hearing and it could be that the former better ear is easier to spot decreased hearing because it is relied upon so heavily.
Not knowing the illness, treatments, etc, I'd just have to say that shit happens.

My left ear is supposedly my better ear (by 10dB) but I can't understand speech.

Back