Odd about MPG

Toolsman

Reaction score
I had a 2004 Ford Focus, it was 2.3 Litre (4 cyl) auto. I filled full the gas tank (15 gallons). I used this car to drive 35 miles to work. A tank runs 340 miles to empty.

I bought 2000 Chevrolet S10, it is 4.3 Litre (V6) auto. I filled full the tank (less 15 gallons). A tank runs 335 miles to empty.

Notice the difference between Ford and Chevy. It seems that Chevrolet has better gas mileage than Ford and Dodge.

ADers,

Let u know that Toolsman is my husband :ily: and this is his first thread. :applause:

Peachy Lady

Oh? Now you're the 'automan'? :lol:....hey, take that as a simple 'joke' there. ;)

As for Ford and Chevy, whatever you have to say about Chevrolets, I'm all for it...prefers 'em and nice to know that, although, every model is different and some will have better mileage than others.

(btw, congrats on your first thread :thumb: )

Hummmmmmmmm that odd I would say. I know that feeling. I would like to save gas too. LOL

Hi Toolsman, :welcome: to the AD forum and I think it has to do with the size, weight and distrubtion as well as what type of engine is placed in there and all of that affects how the car or a truck will perform on the gas. Some engines go easy on the gas and some drink gas like water. Next time you are considering buying a new truck or car or even a used one.... the mpg can tell you something but the mpg does not tell the whole story so do some research before buying and talk to anothers who own that year, make and model too as well to see what they have to say based on their experience.

Toolsman said:
I had a 2004 Ford Focus, it was 2.3 Litre (4 cyl) auto. I filled full the gas tank (15 gallons). I used this car to drive 35 miles to work. A tank runs 340 miles to empty.

I bought 2000 Chevrolet S10, it is 4.3 Litre (V6) auto. I filled full the tank (less 15 gallons). A tank runs 335 miles to empty.

Notice the difference between Ford and Chevy. It seems that Chevrolet has better gas mileage than Ford and Dodge.

Sounds like a mystery to solve. It's surprising that a Chevy S10 truck gets 5 miles less compared to a 4 cylinder car. It could be the trip odometer isn't accurate. They both get 22 mpg. The Ford Focus should get more than that. My parent has a 2005 Honda Accord LX powered by a 2.4 4 cylinder gets 28 mpg average and that's a midsize car.

Back