Observing in court

ismi

Reaction score
For a public trial, do I (or any deaf person) have the right to an interpreter if it's not my case? That is, I want to show support for a friend and be at their trial, but I don't know if I'm entitled to interpreting services, especially since I'd probably be just one of several people there to show support.

Edit: Just realized that jurisdiction might be relevant. This is in Massachusetts.

To my understanding, ismi, the court is not responsible for providing a terp unless you are a participant in the court case.

I agree with Jillo. They are only obligated to provide an interpreter for someone who actually is directly involved with the case.

I've watched several trails myself (when I was trying to decide if I wanted to major in pre-law or not) and paid for the interpreters myself. She didn't stand by the judges...she sat close to me. After a few times, the judge did call me to come up and talk to him. I thought I was in trouble or something. I came up there and he asked me what was going on. I explained to him that I was considering majoring in pre-law but wanted to see the courtroom action and how it works, etc. Since I was deaf, I needed an interpreter. He smiled and said, "Wow! You're welcome to my courtroom anytime." I showed up several weeks...but this time it wasn't to observe. I had a speeding ticket. "Gulp."

Back