Obama Signs an Executive Order to have 100,000 Disabled People Hired by Federal Gov't

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh well.....we see things differently.

I like what Edward Young said...... "Affliction is the good man's shining time".

The way I see it being disabled gives a person a unique opportunity to be an example and inspiration to others by negotiating a life that others see as impossible.

I see the promise of government jobs is an insult to the creativity and initiative of disabled people. All we need is a level playing field and some of us don't (or didn't) even need that.

Also, coming from obama, I believe it is likely an empty promise as well.......kinda like "if you pass the stimulus unemployment will not exceed 8%"

You are welcome to your opinion though.....that is what makes America grand..... :)

Do you support ADA of 1990? I'm not talking about government jobs but just ADA of 1990 alone for private businesses.

if thats true where would we go to apply for a job? and hows the pay? i bet it would be at lowest legal pay per hour right?

if thats true where would we go to apply for a job? and hows the pay? i bet it would be at lowest legal pay per hour right?

I dunno, it is depends on job position are you taking and federal employees are usually paid ok to good.

That wasn't an opinion. It was a completely disrespectful jab at anyone with a disability who has had a hard time finding work and has been given hope and opportunity by this executive order, which is IMO, the best thing Obama has accomplished since being in office.

:bsflag:

Everything he has done in the name of helping us has actually made things more difficult in the long run, a prime example is the credit card reform.

I think it is a ridiculous move...... :)

Most of the "disabled" people I know are smart enough to know when they are being pandered to. And most of them have enough self respect to neither want nor need government charity. They want an even playing field not the "promise" of government jobs.

But feel free to see it your way.....

No offense, but have you read the bill? If your brave world were true, the disabled would comprise more than the 5% of the federal workforce, and those targeted by the bill would do better than the (less than) 1% they represent. Even playing field, indeed.

Look man, you know I like you, but you are clearly out of touch on this one. How many disabled people do you know? How many disabled people do you know that have tried to get jobs and couldn't just simply because the employer looked at their wheelchair, heard their "strange" voice, or their otherwise abnormal behavior?

I might be going out on a limb here, but until you have experienced job discrimination first hand because of your hearing loss (as I have, and as I'm sure many people on this board have), you really shouldn't make jokes about this. This EO is a good thing. It's not pandering, and I think very few disabled people would see it that way.

The largest employer of disabled people is the government, up here anyway. Not sure how many jobs that provide to the overall community in term of percentage though. :/

It's a good thing because the community needs more role models, and to do that... it gotta come from the bottom and from the top. The government is doing its job by by providing employed role models at the top, let see how the bottom react.

:bsflag:

Everything he has done in the name of helping us has actually made things more difficult in the long run, a prime example is the credit card reform.

You can throw the BS flag all you want, but the fact is, without providing any sort of evidence, you have no idea what you're talking about.

I know quite a few in wheelchairs......I live in Arlington home of UT Arlington which has one of the best wheel chair basketball teams in the country. One of the players won the first Big Brother. The guys I know are pretty gung ho......maybe they are the exception.

Hardly a basis of comparison, and you know that. All disabilities are different and affect people differently, even disabilities that fall under the same classification (like, hearing loss, for example). Further, disability is, to a large extent, a socially constructed phenomenon. You and I do not think of ourselves as disabled, but that doesn't mean the rest of society doesn't see us that way, and sometimes you just can't get around that--like when you are otherwise qualified for a job but because of your hearing loss, or CP, or dyslexia, or what have you makes the employer choose someone more "able" than you.

Discrimination sucks.....no doubt.

Token gesture. That's good you think it sucks (who doesn't?) but it does not mean you've experienced it firsthand and as a result of your hearing loss when trying to get a job. In fact, from what I've seen you post, you lead a quite a privileged life and do not need to worry about hiring discrimination anyway. I'm not saying you don't deserve what you have or didn't earn it; I'm just saying, you have not experienced it, and if you did you would feel different than just saying, "Discrimination sucks" and shrugging your shoulders.

But I don't believe government jobs help with discrimination......in fact I think it adds to it with resentment much like SS. I think the EO is something that sounds good on paper but really won't achieve the intended result.

I really don't think people are going to go around muttering "The damn gimp stole my job" under their breath. Do you? For every government disabled worker, there are hundreds more who are not disabled. Also, don't you think it's better to provide people with jobs and have them work than to have them on SSI?

And I believe the timing is poor as well. Everyone is hurting for jobs........not just the disabled, so to promise jobs to one group really doesn't seem fair to me. I wouldn't like it if he promised government jobs to African American's only......or Hispanics only.......or any other group exclusively so it would be hypocritical for me to be happy he is awarding jobs to a group I belong to....... That's just me though.

You're equating disability status with ethnic/racial status, and that is fallacious logic. Discrimination based on race is different from discrimination based on disability, and so the remedies for it must be different as well. These are separate issues, so don't confuse the two.

(Btw.......By "belong to" I mean by definition......I do not consider myself disabled).
Exactly, see the first part of my response.

Token gesture. That's good you think it sucks (who doesn't?) but it does not mean you've experienced it firsthand and as a result of your hearing loss when trying to get a job. In fact, from what I've seen you post, you lead a quite a privileged life and do not need to worry about hiring discrimination anyway. I'm not saying you don't deserve what you have or didn't earn it; I'm just saying, you have not experienced it, and if you did you would feel different than just saying, "Discrimination sucks" and shrugging your shoulders.

Actually I have posted on here about losing bids because I was deaf.... And I was flat broke when I started my business with large medical bills from surgeries due to Meniere's.

Actually I have posted on here about losing bids because I was deaf.... And I was flat broke when I started my business with large medical bills from surgeries due to Meniere's.

Okay, I stand corrected. But I can't keep track of everything that is posted here (my name isn't Bottesini, lol).

But, just because you have been fortunate and been able to pull yourself up from the bootstraps does not mean that mentality works for everyone. You're obviously an intelligent guy, and you've had plenty of opportunity in your life. Many people with disabilities? Not so much.

You can throw the BS flag all you want, but the fact is, without providing any sort of evidence, you have no idea what you're talking about.[/QUOT

You want evidence? How is this. Obama did not say: "go out there and hire 100,000 black people!" and he did not say: "Go out there and hire 100,000 women!" By saying, as he did, one group was more entitled at the moment he divided us all. When I was hired under Nixon there were plenty of hearies and soldiers returning fro Vietnam who wanted and needed the job only the deaf were getting. I am not saying the deaf did not deserve help, because after all they were discriminated in education, but people only consider the moment. And today Obama through this order has once again divided the people instead of bringing them together. Nixon----white------Obama----black It only proves a person's race has nothing to do with being called stupid, both were stupid.

Okay, I stand corrected. But I can't keep track of everything that is posted here (my name isn't Bottesini, lol).

:lol: Yeah people actually thought I was faking Menieres

But, just because you have been fortunate and been able to pull yourself up from the bootstraps does not mean that mentality works for everyone. You're obviously an intelligent guy, and you've had plenty of opportunity in your life. Many people with disabilities? Not so much.

I guess we will see how it goes..... I would rather see money go to the schools for the disabled that are folding......just feel that is a better approach.

:lol: Yeah people actually thought I was faking Menieres

Haven't been accused of faking, but get so many incredulous "I never would have known if you hadn't told me" comments it sometimes makes me sick to my stomach.

I guess we will see how it goes..... I would rather see money go to the schools for the disabled that are folding......just feel that is a better approach.

Obviously that's the first place to start. Teachers, all teachers, should be paid as well as any doctor or lawyer (and the training should be just as rigorous and discriminating). And schools should not have to hold pancake breakfast fundraisers in order to buy books and computers.

You see the intelligent Bottesini with prodigious memory. But that isn't what shows when people see me in the flesh.

This bill would have been a godsend to the younger me. I really hope it benefits a lot of people who are young now who wouldn't get a chance otherwise.

That wasn't an opinion. It was a completely disrespectful jab at anyone with a disability who has had a hard time finding work and has been given hope and opportunity by this executive order, which is IMO, the best thing Obama has accomplished since being in office.

Agreed. It is truly amazing how character comes out in the simplest ways, isn't it?

I can hear the reply now: "I'm not prejudiced against disabled people! Why I have a friend who is disabled!" :laugh2: Always the same old, same old. Sad that some things never change.

I totally concur.

I agree with you here. I'm reminded of a quote by Lao Tzu "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him how to fish and you feed him for a lifetime". If the people being hired are qualified for the job fine but if they are just going to put disabled people in the office it is a waste of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back