Obama ASL

what is that SMH? huh

"Shaking My Head"

and Tx, to me its not "omg he signed thats so cool!" kinda thing for me. I loved that Obama took the time to wait to see what the deaf student had to say and replied back to him. He didn't mouth it when he could have, he didn't have use a bunch of signs, but that tells me hes not a snob and does care and acknowledged him. I have yet to see a president or any congressman/congresswoman do that.

Not as flashy but substantial support for Deaf causes:

"...As the momentum for a deaf president grew, letters of endorsement flooded in. Vice-President George Bush and Senators Bob Dole, Bob Graham, Tom Harkin, and Lowell Weicker all supported the idea, as did Civil Rights activist Jesse Jackson. The mainstream media had yet to latch on to the cause, however—but that would change...."

The History Behind DPN: What Happened... - Gallaudet University

"Shaking My Head"

and Tx, to me its not "omg he signed thats so cool!" kinda thing for me. I loved that Obama took the time to wait to see what the deaf student had to say and replied back to him. He didn't mouth it when he could have, he didn't have use a bunch of signs, but that tells me hes not a snob and does care and acknowledged him. I have yet to see a president or any congressman/congresswoman do that.

Well, did Obama actually know what the deaf student said?....The deaf student could have "said/signed" something tnat wasn't so pleasant....

I read something somewhere about a president who meant to sign one thing to a crowd of deaf people but signed something completely different. I can't for the life of me remember what/who it was does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Well, did Obama actually know what the deaf student said?....The deaf student could have "said/signed" something tnat wasn't so pleasant....

In another forum, this same student said he told President Obama how proud of him he was.

Mod, please close.

I don't want to get in trouble for political threads. I made a mistake.

Back