NYC to ship homeless out to destination of choice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian

Reaction score
NEW YORK - They are flown to Paris ($6,332), Orlando ($858.40), Johannesburg ($2,550.70), or most frequently, San Juan ($484.20).

They are not executives on business trips or couples on honeymoons. Rather, all are families who have ended up homeless, and all the plane tickets are courtesy of the city of New York (one-way).

The Bloomberg administration, which has struggled with a seemingly intractable problem of homelessness for years, has paid for more than 550 families to leave the city since 2007, as a way of keeping them out of the expensive shelter system, which costs $36,000 a year per family. All it takes is for a relative elsewhere to agree to take the family in.
For rest of the story (warning two pages long): NYT: NYC aids homeless with tickets home - The New York Times- msnbc.com

What is the Bloomberg administration thinking? New York City is supposed to be a melting pot for all kind of people.

It seems like a good deal to me. The families are not forced to leave, they can stay, but if they have anyone who will take them in the city will pay.

I think it would be better than living in a shelter.

typical of Bloomberg to do this - elitism. This is why I want Bloomberg OUT. 2 terms and it's enough. He's running for 3rd term in November.

GO NAKED COWBOY! :rockon:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back