NYC Cops Protesting Crack Down on Corruption

Status
Not open for further replies.

yizuman

Reaction score
I guess now the cops has their own "Occupy" issue, as it were, with the crack down of 16 officers on charges of "ticket fixing", meaning they're making tickets disappear from the system or turning a blind eye on crime.

Typical of them.....

Oh there's more corrupt cops right their protesting on behalf of their own, approx 400 cops. Investigate them Mr. Prosecutor please. Man, that takes a lot of balls to call the Prosecutor a "Piece of Sh**!". The Prosecutor is not gonna forget that. Nice way to call attention to yourself and get investigated later.

As 16 NYPD officers were arraigned at a Bronx courthouse yesterday to face charges related to the department's massive ticket-fixing probe, around 500 off-duty police officers, including paralyzed NYPD officer Steven McDonald, showed up to voice their support for "professional privilege." According to the Times, the officers shoved away television cameras and jeered at people receiving public assistance at a benefits center across the street. According to the Daily News, some of those assembled shouted "you piece of sh*t!" at prosecutors. Ahh, the sweet sounds of CPR.

While many off-duty officers and PBA members held signs that bore slogans of, "It's a Courtesy Not a Crime," ticket-fixing charges weren't the only ones aired in court: grand larceny, drug charges and unrelated corruption were also found in the probe. Four of the policemen charged helped a man escape assault charges. Flatscreen TV-loving Jose Ramos, who is at the center of the probe and was the only cop charged who remained in jail on $500,000 bond, was caught on a wiretap saying, "I stopped caring about the law a long time ago."

When some Bronx residents, who were waiting in line for government assistance next door, shouted "Fix our tickets!" the officers and supporters responded with a ugly chant of "E.B.T." "To be ridiculing people in the welfare line across the street doesn't endear you to the public eye," an unnamed official said.

"It's hard to see an upside in the way the anger was expressed, especially in Bronx County, where you already have a hard row to hoe in terms of building rapport with the community," a professor of police studies at John Jay College tells the paper. "The Police Department is a very angry work force, and that is something that should concern people, because it translates into hostile interactions with people." Indeed, it's been recently reported that morale in the NYPD is at rock-bottom due to a litany of scandals.

Daily News columnist Joanna Molloy called the incident yesteday "a disgrace," writing that it was "ridiculous" to refer to ticket-fixing as a "courtesy" because "the cops who erased parking tickets did so mostly for their girlfriends, their cousins and their buddies, leaving the rest of us to pay up." She continues: "When 16 cops act as if they are above the law—and 500 more turn up to support them…they ruin it for the rest of the 35,000 cops on the force."

Mayor Bloomberg took the same tact in his radio broadcast on Friday, saying "it's a tiny percentage of the people" who serve in the NYPD that were indicted. Interestingly enough, even that "tiny" group of people got something that even eluded Dominique Strauss-Kahn: they got their perp walk "fixed," and were loaded into black vans, away from the media's lenses.

Source: Cops Mock Poor People, Calls Prosecutors "Pieces Of S--t," Claim Ticket-Fixing Is Just The Way It Is: Gothamist

Seriously, we need a complete overhaul in the testing and hiring system.

Clinton's plan for the police department has been nothing but a complete failure since day one....

DOJ forces Police, Firefighters and Municipal Agencies to dumb down employment tests, practice reverse discrimination.

Yiz

eh I don't think this should be a big deal. I've had my tickets fixed.

"It's a courtesy, not a crime". That's what's great about America. It allows discretion while other countries run it like a dictatorship or criminal ring with bribery.

eh I don't think this should be a big deal. I've had my tickets fixed.

"It's a courtesy, not a crime". That's what's great about America. It allows discretion while other countries run it like a dictatorship or criminal ring with bribery.

I had a speeding ticket that could have been twice the amount but the cop chose to charge me for going 120 and not 136 on the highway after I explained I was running late for Thanksgiving that was at my parents' place two hours away. I would have been on time if it wasn't for construction that was bogging down traffic heavily. He was being nice and I appreciated it.

I had a speeding ticket that could have been twice the amount but the cop chose to charge me for going 120 and not 136 on the highway after I explained I was running late for Thanksgiving that was at my parents' place two hours away. I would have been on time if it wasn't for construction that was bogging down traffic heavily. He was being nice and I appreciated it.

that's the way America should be because it helps bridge relationship between community and officers. Every case is different so every officer has a discretion whatever he sees fit.

Running it like dictatorship is certainly not going to help anybody at all.

I've met my fair share of dicks and compassionate cops. Fixing tickets honestly doesn't bother me too much and it's rather tame compared to the laundering that other people do.

I myself was picketed for occupying more than 2 seats on the subway in an empty subway. I didn't have my passport with me, so I was handcuffed and driven to a Jail for a few hours. Was pretty lame.

The planting of drugs is another story.

Bunch of corrupt scumbag losers. Get back out on the streets and do your jobs, fat asses.

If you want your tickets fixed then get a lawyer. These cops were wrong. Discretion is something far different than ticket fixing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back