numbers with dmom:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuatara

pro-water
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hey dogmom, if you're feeling patient, I want to look at the 25x4=4x25 thing from the pics of you thread.

(And if you feel really patient, I'd be totally up for having a continued conversation in PM or email or whatever.)

Anyway:

When you multiply by 4, you're basically saying "I have 4 of these." In this case, I have 4 things worth* 25 each.

*(doesn't have to be about worth. could be about size or weight or time or anything really. I'll just say worth for now.)

Or, you could look at it the other way, and say you're multiplying by 25: "I have 25 of these." From this perspective, you have 25 things worth 4 each. (I'm abandoning the idea of cents here, just focusing on the numbers for the moment.)

But you said you think in pictures. If you're up for it, will you get a piece of paper? Lined paper is good: you can start writing numbers down the side of the page:

tuatara-albums-numbers-dm-picture6336-lines.png

so you have 25 of something. 25 lines, 25 boxes of candy, 25 alldeaf posts, I don't care what. But there are definitely 25 of them.

Then draw a vertical line next to your numbers

tuatara-albums-numbers-dm-picture6340-line.png

Then draw more vertical lines, dividing up each row into 4 sections

tuatara-albums-numbers-dm-picture6337-verticals.png

Then at the top of each section, write the numbers 1, 2, 3, 4.

tuatara-albums-numbers-dm-picture6341-4.png

So now you have a bunch of boxes. you can look at them as being in groups. You can take the perspective that each column is a group (so you have 4) or you can think of each row as a group. (so you have 25) If there are 4 groups, each group has 25 things in it. (or a value of 25 or however we want to interpret that.) If there are 25 groups, then each group has 4 things in it.

I want you to count the total number of things, in all the groups, altogether. I want you to do it twice (So you'll need two sheets of paper.) Everything up to this point you do the same on each paper.

But now you start writing numbers in the boxes. First start counting across 1,2,3,4, then drop to the next line and continue 5,6,7,8, etc. You should get to 100 by the bottom corner.

tuatara-albums-numbers-dm-picture6338-countacross.png

On the other paper, count downwards like in the picture.

tuatara-albums-numbers-dm-picture6339-countdown.png

Again, you should get to 100. You can look at one picture as saying "if I have 4 of these things, each thing being worth 25" and the other one as saying "I have 25 of these things, each thing being worth 4." and either way, altogether, you have a total (total worth, total boxes, however you want to think of it) of 100.

Again, you don't have to think in terms of worth. You could say 25 containers, each with 4 boxes inside, or 4 containers, each with 25 boxes inside. Either way, there are 100 boxes. Or cents. Or pieces of chocolate:)

Or even without writing down all those numbers, no matter how you look at it, the number of boxes is the same. So no matter what two numbers you multiply, you could draw a grid like this and look at it both ways. No matter what the two numbers are one way of multiplying (I'll say axb) has to be the same as multiplying the other way (=bxa). Like 2x3 and 3x2 or any numbers you want to pick.

You are a math teacher, correct, Tuatara?

With a disability like dogmom's, it's really like dyslexia and sometimes things like drawing it out in different mediums like sand, shaving cream, etc where it is touched and learned by the body rather than the brain trying to order it from a piece of paper is a more effective teaching strategy.

Multiplication and addition are commutative. Commutative means you can do the operation in no particular order.

For example, consider the statement: 3 x 4 = 4 x 3

Let's look at the left side of the equal symbol.

3 x 4 = 12, right?

Now, look at the right side of the equal symbol.

4 x 3 = 12, right?

12 = 12.

:ty:Botti TRUE

:wave:also to tuatara and respectyoda

and sure PM no problem also-

you took some time here to kindly see what you could do with me, tuatara and I'm going to spend some time considering your post too, so I may not reply specifically to it right away:) but I haven't forgotten-

yoda, appreciate your post...realize you're assuming I <and many others with math LD> know what "Left" is:giggle:

You are a math teacher, correct, Tuatara?

With a disability like dogmom's, it's really like dyslexia and sometimes things like drawing it out in different mediums like sand, shaving cream, etc where it is touched and learned by the body rather than the brain trying to order it from a piece of paper is a more effective teaching strategy.

I have dyslexia and this made math very hard for me.

:ty:Botti TRUE

:wave:also to tuatara and respectyoda

and sure PM no problem also-

you took some time here to kindly see what you could do with me, tuatara and I'm going to spend some time considering your post too, so I may not reply specifically to it right away:) but I haven't forgotten-

:wave:

yoda, appreciate your post...realize you're assuming I <and many others with math LD> know what "Left" is:giggle:

Well, in mathematics it is common to say "the left side" and "the right side" so we know which side of the equation we are dealing with. :)

I have dyslexia and this made math very hard for me.

I can imagine that would be *very* hard! I don't have dyslexia, I was never diagnosed with it, but to what I think is a lesser degree I can swap things without realizing it. In certain contexts, I always had to use little tricks in my mind to keep from doing that. I taught an undergrad course on matrix theory once and it's all pairs of subscripts. It was like I had to make a brace for myself inside my head to keep from flipping things over.

(end of comment to WDYS)

I am going to ask Calvin to lock this thread. There is a certain level of emotional safety that I think is necessary for some of the things I want do to, and I don't think that can happen in the full open forum environment. I should have just started with a PM to dogmom: my mistake. (Although Botti I do appreciate your comment and will bat it around in my head a good deal more.)

Anyway, if anyone is struggling with a math topic, feel free to PM me. For school or life in general: basic math, algebra, calculus, DFQ, theory, whatever. I don't do applied but the rest of it I'm probably into. As long as you're a member of alldeaf from before I posted this. (Well, there are a few people on my ignore list that I really don't want to interact with, but if I respond to your posts or have "liked" your stuff, that's probably not you:0)

I'm very open about my LD and any experiences relating to that but appreciate if others aren't.
Anyone, feel free to PM me on it

...respectyoda, YOU might know:)

I'll be looking back on your chart. tuatara:)

I used to teach clients how to do catering. There were cases where clients would need to get 15 diet pops. It didn't matter brand. I would make 3 equal rows of 5 pops each. I told the client that they would count 5 pops from one row and then count the 3 rows. Multiply. The client would rather count each pops and get to 15. I decided to let it go. It was my job to make sure the client got 15 pops. The client did her job just fine so I didn't want to mess it up.

Thread closed per OP's request.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back