Nucleus-5 users - Did they use this on you during surgery?

green427

Reaction score
Just got assimilated again this morning with another Borg implant on my other ear. I now have an N-5 in addition to my N-24.

When I got my first implant back in '03, the surgeon cut a couple nerves that made part of my tongue numb for a few months. I also had that popular "phantom" second set of nerves sensation on the side of my head (if you touched one area, the area below also felt it too) which lasted about a year.

Today's surgery did not produce any of those issues.

My surgeon said that they are now putting sensors on their CI recipients' faces & heads during surgery to monitor nerve activity while hacking away. He did not elaborate, but it was for obvious reasons; to protect vital nerves.

So, this is new to me, just wondering if any of you N-5 or "recent" recipients had these sensors put on your face just before they put you under? All I remember was the nurse sticking a big one on my forehead before the room spun and went dark.

I would like to know whether it is standard or doctor-optioned.

Yeah, I had them five plus years ago when I received my Freedom. They have been doing that for a while now. I would like to think it was standard procedure nowadays.

My daughter had nerve monitors when she got each of her implants (2 years ago, and then in August). She had little, sort of, pinpricks on her face where they were.

The only thing that was numb at all after my surgery was my ear lobe and some jaw pain. It was like waking up after a nap.

Yup! They put them sensor's on me also. Altho I did lose a slight sense of taste for about ohh 1-2 months give or take but it did come back in full swing. No pain or phantom " nerve" sensations to date.

I don't recall anything on my face in the Advanced Bionics-Harmony implantation July 12, 2007-Sunnybrook/Toronto. No face nerves were damaged-that I am aware of.

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

I don't recall anything on my face in the Advanced Bionics-Harmony implantation July 12, 2007-Sunnybrook/Toronto. No face nerves were damaged-that I am aware of.
DrPhil, do you get paid to mention Sunnybrook/Toronto in almost all of your posts? Why don't you just add it to your signature with your "Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07 "...speaking of which, you don't need to mention that in every post either since it's in your signature. :roll:

Well not that i was aware of, they may have put sticky electrodes on my face as I found few sticky residues. Not sure if it was that. My Surgeon is now retired, he had done CI operations over 15 years... he may have done my CI op blindfolded!. My surgery was july 2008.

I did have metallic taste, numb ear for months, I still have the feeling in one place but felt it in other place... Got used to it.

DrPhil, do you get paid to mention Sunnybrook/Toronto in almost all of your posts? Why don't you just add it to your signature with your "Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07 "...speaking of which, you don't need to mention that in every post either since it's in your signature. :roll:

+1 and some.. I dont go stating that I was implanted at cleveland clinic head and neck institute by Dr peter webber in july of 2010 at 3:45 pm.. It gets pretty old to read his post's they contain the same exact wording every single post and I have been here longer than he has and he has doubled my post count! Does seem pretty fishy.

+1 and some.. I dont go stating that I was implanted at cleveland clinic head and neck institute by Dr peter webber in july of 2010 at 3:45 pm.. It gets pretty old to read his post's they contain the same exact wording every single post and I have been here longer than he has and he has doubled my post count! Does seem pretty fishy.

AGREE!

He has 2x your post count, because many of his posts, post twice (for some reason)

i will times that by 100...i hate reading his posts as almost everyone is the same shit repeated

I had my N5 surgery last June and yes, my surgeon used a facial nerve monitor. I still am having issues with taste but it does seem to be slowly getting better.

PapillonMom

I also had the sensors. They drill right past two major nerves. If they nick one it could be the end of their career. Or at least a lawsuit would follow.

Personally though. Anything that keeps me safe during surgery i'm fine with.

I don't know if they did or not on me... but food tastes funny and half my tongue feels numb. I can't taste salt at all, ( i can't even taste soy sause) but i can taste sweet stuff

I don't know if they did or not on me... but food tastes funny and half my tongue feels numb. I can't taste salt at all, ( i can't even taste soy sause) but i can taste sweet stuff

This would happen even if you had facial nerve monitors.

Moving the ear out of the way the way they do it for a CI typically has a major impact on sense of taste and numbness of the tongue.

I don't know of anybody with a CI that didn't have issues in one degree or another with both scenarios.

I had a little numbness of the tongue but my taste buds were messed up for about 4-6 months. Mostly it was a metal "tasting" type of thing.

Back