Nucleus 5 review

set2

Reaction score
I recently received my Nucleus 5 Upgrade and so far I am happy with it.

The main improvement ,besides the smaller size is the fact that the product is more rugged. I had three cracked controllers in less than two years with the Freedom so it will be nice not to have to deal with that issue.

The cable/Coil is modular so both pieces should not have to be replaced at the same time. The coil is more comfortabe because where the coil touches the scalp it feels like it has a rubbery material covering it.

The tamperproof battery cover is a great idea for the little ones. For adults the tamperproof feature does not have to be used. I have been able to remove the batteries with out any tools. I find it is easier to get the batteries in an out of the N5 than my Naida. I do use my fingernails to get the battery holder out of the cover but it is still easier.

You will need to use a small screw driver to open the assesory socket cover if you want to use any external audio. This is better than the rubber covers coming off. I had four controllers where this happened.

The remote was easy to set up and does what it is supposed to do.
I have been able to adjust Volume and Sensitivity, Change programs and adjust the ratio of the Mic to T coil and Mic to external audio. The screen
has nice visuals to show you what the mix is. Touch screen would have been nice and more WOW! but the remote works!

Finally I find there is a slight improvement in sound quality in noise. I will have to wait until some booth testing to see if there is any improvement in speech discrimination in noise.

Set2,

Thanks for the review. I'm hoping to get my N5 upgrade in the next couple months. I'd like to hear from others who have receive their upgrade N5 and who has had good experiences with their Freedom.

Nucleus 5

I received my N5 a few weeks ago and really like it. The Remote Assistant is a great feature for adjusting volume and sensitivity without having to remove the unit from your ear like with the Nucleus Freedom. I also like the slimmer profile and comfort of fit. The big bonus is sound quality! I really notice a difference. I only have 3 settings (missing music) since music was poor with the Nucleus Freedom. Next trip to my audiologist I'll have the music program added and give it a try to see if it's any better. I get about 2 days on the batteries and can't wait for the rechargeable ones once they are approved by the FDA for use in the US. All in all very pleased.

I just received mine last week and so far it has been wonderful. I can hear a bit better with other people in the car driving without looking. Much better with music and more smoother in the high frequencies. One of the new features that is currently available by using the remote is zoom. Zoom activates the directional feature that is available on the new microphones. Zoom helps to reduce the room echo and reverberation like in a church for example. I had issues with the controllers on the Freedom and the new Nucleus 5 is much stronger than pervious versions.

I am considering getting the Nucleus 5 and it will be the 1st time with cochlear implants.

Son implanted a few days ago with N5

Our 4-year old son was implanted a few days ago and we're very excited to see the results! He had profound in the right and moderate-severe in the left, so we're looking forward to activation. Thankfully after the first day, he returned to his normal self. Now its just 5 weeks of waiting...Patiently

Been wearing ha's for years, got implant on Feb. 2 and awaiting activation on the 2nd of March. The one I have is the Nucleus 5 but don't have my hands on it yet. Just the part in my head. If the rest of it goes as well as that part did I'm going to be in the clouds somewhere! Also new to this site but finding some very interesting discussions and really enjoy reading first hand experiences and ideas. I'm in the Phoenix area but so far have not found anyone with CI.

Question

How long did it take you to receive your Nucleus 5 after you ordered it. My son has a Nucleus Freedom and we just ordered the upgrade. Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
It took about 6 weeks from the time I ordered the upgrade until I received the upgrade. Just make sure someone will be home because the package will require a signature. Fed Ex acutally called to let me know it was going to be delivered the next day.

Back