Nucleus 5 and Water???

found it:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYTg7dmsrpo]YouTube - Cochlear Implant Swimming[/ame]

*EQL*

Just because some of you do not like what Resolution said (especially when bringing in information from peer-reviewed studies), so you attack him/her with your own biases, opinions and non-peer-reviewed studies?!?! It is pretty obvious that this person has access to information regarding hearing loss and cochlear implants.

From his/her posts, I figured him/her to be working in the field as

some kind of a researcher working for a hospital or center that do cochlear implants;

an Audiologist;

a support staff (nurse in surgery room; Audiologist aide; research assistant and the like); or

a staff at the FDA (which has access to all kind of cochlear implants information that are not distributed to the public).

From what I remember in Cochlears description of the Nucleas 5 they tested it for up to 30 minutes in water! In the Freedoms brochure that came with my daughters freedom it showed a girl swimming with dolphins and a boy running through the sprinkler, that was one of their marketing adds!

My daughter has always gone swimming with her CI on whether it was her old Freedom or her new Nucleas 5! She wears it in the bath, the pool (we go twice a week), water parks, you name it and we have never had a problem with either processor! And yes it has gone under with her MANY times lol. Thats what warranty is for:P Maybe once the warranty is up I won't feel as comfortable doing it, lol, but hopefully by then there will be a new model out and we'll have a new warranty, lol.

From what I remember in Cochlears description of the Nucleas 5 they tested it for up to 30 minutes in water! In the Freedoms brochure that came with my daughters freedom it showed a girl swimming with dolphins and a boy running through the sprinkler, that was one of their marketing adds!

My daughter has always gone swimming with her CI on whether it was her old Freedom or her new Nucleas 5! She wears it in the bath, the pool (we go twice a week), water parks, you name it and we have never had a problem with either processor! And yes it has gone under with her MANY times lol. Thats what warranty is for:P Maybe once the warranty is up I won't feel as comfortable doing it, lol, but hopefully by then there will be a new model out and we'll have a new warranty, lol.

:-o

... That's... wow. You go to the pool twice a week? and been to Water parks?

that's very neat! and very convincing :)

I don't know how many times over they immerse these things in water before saying they did it and everything was OK. Drop it in water once and find it still works and claim it water resistant? Did they get an international standard for it?

If anyone does accidentally drop such things in water, it's what you do next which really counts. Most people first thing they do is turn stuff on and make sure it still works - no no no! Water damages electricals by causing short circuits, if you drop something in water the important thing is to get the battery out ASAP. If you spend a couple of days airing the hearing aid out in a dryer before reconnecting power you should get lucky. If you pick it out of the water and turn it on then go oh phew, it works and put it back on you are less likely to avoid long-term damage, you never know where the water will flow to as you turn the instrument over to put it back on, and it might short out later.

Still wouldn't do it on purpose, but if your friends think it's a right laugh to push you in the pool or one drops in the bath while you are washing your kids' hair then that's the way to go.

Meanwhile I'm keeping my eyes trained on the new Siemens Aquaris as it's the first hearing aid to say yes you can swim in it.

Back to the OP - if you go in the shower to wash your hair then what's the advantage of wearing the CI, you have to take it off to get at your hair properly anyway.

My daughter's Freedom went through a wash cycle, and astoundingly it worked fine after a couple of days in the dry and store. They were often splashed without incident. Since getting her N5s, while we take them off at the beach where I'd be afraid of losing them in the surf, she does wear them kayaking, which involves lots of splashing and occasional submersion, and in sprinkler and small pool play.

We don't have a pool, but when we do swim in pools, we don't use them, although I think they'd likely be fine, especially as she's not under water for more than 30 minutes at a time :) . We don't use them in the shower, but do use them in long baths atop very wet hair -- at her request -- just not when washing her hair, obviously.

No issues so far, but if there is a problem, there's a 3 year warranty that would cover it, and we'll get insurance after that (we haven't had to get insurance yet -- she upgraded to the N5 after 3 years with the Freedoms, so the warranty began anew).

Her processors don't shock her, wet or dry.

Yes, I'm another. That although I like my implant. I could do without wearing them when swimming, showering, etc. I mean you're not talking about just a little splash. But actually getting your hair soaking wet.

Stunned at so many people who think a warranty is meant to cover this stuff. Warranty is for using the product for the intended purpose and within the described limitations. If the limitations say don't swim in it then if you swim in it the warranty is void. They aren't supposed to clear up after whatever you do with things, warranty is for standard use, insurance is for accidents, if you do dumb things with your HA/processor that's your lookout.

Stunned at so many people who think a warranty is meant to cover this stuff. Warranty is for using the product for the intended purpose and within the described limitations. If the limitations say don't swim in it then if you swim in it the warranty is void. They aren't supposed to clear up after whatever you do with things, warranty is for standard use, insurance is for accidents, if you do dumb things with your HA/processor that's your lookout.

the N5 warranty DOES cover water damage depending on how long it was in the water etc since it does have a special IP44 3 [http://products.cochlearamericas.com/cochlear-implants/references] and IP573 [http://products.cochlearamericas.com/cochlear-implants/references]* ratings for water resistance
*With rechargeable sound processor battery option. Not intended for swimming. †This means the sound processor is not only water resistant, but it can be submerged into three feet of still water for up to 30 minutes without any worries.
it is advertised as being able to be worn while being in a sprinkler etc

It does cover water submersion and the product is intended to be used in that way. Are you familiar with CIs and the 3 companies that manufacturer them? I've returned a processor after a puppy gnawed it to bits, and they didn't bat an eye about sending me a brand new one immediately. I mentioned to a Cochlear rep that our freedom had been through the wash some 4 months before, and worked fine, and she insisted on sending me a new one, just in case.

Do you really think toddlers aren't going to do dumb things with processors? Kindergardeners? Teenagers? Adults? Covered. If you lose one during the first 3 years, they'll replace it. Free.

It does cover water submersion and the product is intended to be used in that way. Are you familiar with CIs and the 3 companies that manufacturer them? I've returned a processor after a puppy gnawed it to bits, and they didn't bat an eye about sending me a brand new one immediately. I mentioned to a Cochlear rep that our freedom had been through the wash some 4 months before, and worked fine, and she insisted on sending me a new one, just in case.

Do you really think toddlers aren't going to do dumb things with processors? Kindergardeners? Teenagers? Adults? Covered. If you lose one during the first 3 years, they'll replace it. Free.

Yes, but those are ACCIDENTS you are talking about. Others are talking about deliberately going outside of the warranty terms by swimming in it when it specifically says don't swim in it and then saying that's what a warranty is for. It isn't. If they replace them out of goodwill then that's up to them, but it isn't what a warranty is for. If the instructions expressly tell you not to do something like swimming in it then you cannot swim in it and expect the warranty to pay out. They might do so anyway, but it's not "what a warranty is for". A warranty is coverage for usage within the terms of the instructions, which every person has said is for incidental water contact but NOT swimming. So swimming is expressly outside the warranty. Like I said, they might replace them anyway, but it still doesn't make it "what the warranty is for".

Exactly!! What is there to hear in water??? just water whilst washing your hair?:roll:

Not worth it risk damaging your processor for!! Silence is good enough :) :giggle:

I do agree with you, but it takes me a while to adjust when I put my HA's in. As such if I could shower with them I would as I could put them on when I get instead of after my ears have dried.

Yes, but those are ACCIDENTS you are talking about. Others are talking about deliberately going outside of the warranty terms by swimming in it when it specifically says don't swim in it and then saying that's what a warranty is for. It isn't. If they replace them out of goodwill then that's up to them, but it isn't what a warranty is for. If the instructions expressly tell you not to do something like swimming in it then you cannot swim in it and expect the warranty to pay out. They might do so anyway, but it's not "what a warranty is for". A warranty is coverage for usage within the terms of the instructions, which every person has said is for incidental water contact but NOT swimming. So swimming is expressly outside the warranty. Like I said, they might replace them anyway, but it still doesn't make it "what the warranty is for".

why are you getting so bent out of shape about this issue...do you even have a CI ..i was sure you didn't...people will do what they want and if they get f**ked over and their CI won't get replaced because of doing something outside a warranty that's their problem..

In UK we have to pay to replace CI/HA (even they are under NHS) if we misuse it such as getting it wet/lost/damaged which is preventable. There's no such insurance for them. I had to go from bank to bank to bank to get my CI insured under house insurance, when I told them it's XXXX pounds my house insurance sky rocketed! so i didn't go down that route. My CI centre and I are still discussing on this matter.

but it doesnt apply to my hubby. he has to pay for about 8 thousands but as of right now he puts it on hold.

but it doesnt apply to my hubby. he has to pay for about 8 thousands but as of right now he puts it on hold.

Right, we were referring to that 3 year warranty. I think you said that he was past the 3 year warranty period, is that right? At that point you can purchase an insurance rider from the CI company or purchase a rider from your homeowners or other insurance.

Right, we were referring to that 3 year warranty. I think you said that he was past the 3 year warranty period, is that right? At that point you can purchase an insurance rider from the CI company or purchase a rider from your homeowners or other insurance.

I don't know if he ever had the warranty but i can ask him about it. right now he still fights with our health insurnce to pay some of it using the proper term in health insurance's view that he does not have to pay the whole one. Such a good thing that he still has his old CI that is working while he is dealing with the health insuarnce about to pay some of it.

I don't know if he ever had the warranty but i can ask him about it. right now he still fights with our health insurnce to pay some of it using the proper term in health insurance's view that he does not have to pay the whole one. Such a good thing that he still has his old CI that is working while he is dealing with the health insuarnce about to pay some of it.

Oh, I sure hope your health insurance helps! Maybe as an upgrade to the n5!

why are you getting so bent out of shape about this issue...do you even have a CI ..i was sure you didn't...people will do what they want and if they get f**ked over and their CI won't get replaced because of doing something outside a warranty that's their problem..

I guess it's a question of attitudes. We all pay more for things because they are misused by other people. Are these warranty replacements free for the company? No, the price is built into what other people have to pay for them. Everyone pays more because some people feel that warranties are a free ride to misuse equipment quite deliberately. And then to say maybe when my warranty runs out I will start being careful with my stuff... like when it's everyone else's problem to pay for it then I'll not bother to look after it, but as soon as my pocket is directly affected I'll be more careful.

Just cos my current hearing aids come from the health service doesn't mean I don't make an effort to look after them. I clean them, put them in a drying tub, don't use them in situations where I'm likely to lose them or they might get damaged, and when I have privately purchased hearing aids I treat them just the same, because the health service has enough problems paying for the genuniely necessary treatments without people thinking well since I don't pay for replacements I'll just use it however I please. All those people complaining that they can't get a second implant or whatever, well maybe if the warranties weren't being used as a free ride to treat processors like they are expendable then they would drop in price and people could afford/get insurance to pay for upgrades and bilaterals.

Does anyone say hey, I got me some car insurance, I no longer need to pay attention to the road and if I drive into a wall never mind, someone will buy me a new one? No, it's coverage in case you have an accident.

I wish they were to get "f**ked over" as you say, but that's not what happens, it's other people who are indirectly funding it.

Back