Nucleus 5 and Water???

Because nothing about a CI is connected to the brain. Why would you say that?

How is it that you are involved with deaf children and cochlear implants?

They convince children not to wear their processor by shocking them?:hmm:

Because nothing about a CI is connected to the brain. Why would you say that?

A cochlear implant is not physically connected to the brain per se, but it does work by stimulating neurons which are connected to the brain via the auditory nerve, so it depends on your point of view.

I was just trying to make the point that water and speech processors shouldn't mix. My apologies if I raised the fears of anyone. If you get your processor wet it won't kill you and you're very unlikely to be hurt as result. At the same time, I would try and avoid it if possible, and I wouldn't encourage anyone to experiment with such things as the results might be unpleasant.

They convince children not to wear their processor by shocking them?:hmm:

I really wish that this person would explain who he is, where he came from, and what his affiliations are. He says he knows all about kids and CI's and their inner workings, I want to know how...:hmm:

if any awful simulation happen, it would be when they first activate it.

But anyway, My processor shorted out many times (because of the dry environment due to heat pump in the attic - moisture can not be used- and not using fabric softener because of eczema) and there's NO WAY it did any damage to my ear nerves other than my processor itself. Nor changed anything, or whatever you are talking about. I heard no funny sounds either. it just got cut off as if I turned my processor off.

I really wish that this person would explain who he is, where he came from, and what his affiliations are. He says he knows all about kids and CI's and their inner workings, I want to know how...:hmm:

Me too, I am pretty sure a lot of us are wondering. And it is hard to trust if they won't say who they are working for and what their connection to all these shocked children.

A cochlear implant is not physically connected to the brain per se, but it does work by stimulating neurons which are connected to the brain via the auditory nerve, so it depends on your point of view.

I was just trying to make the point that water and speech processors shouldn't mix. My apologies if I raised the fears of anyone. If you get your processor wet it won't kill you and you're very unlikely to be hurt as result. At the same time, I would try and avoid it if possible, and I wouldn't encourage anyone to experiment with such things as the results might be unpleasant.

But, Cochlear has released that (with the rechargeables) their device can be in still water for up to 30 minutes with a depth of up to 3 feet (this is from memory, I could be a little off) so, why should anyone be worried about water?

But, Cochlear has released that (with the rechargeables) their device can be in still water for up to 30 minutes with a depth of up to 3 feet (this is from memory, I could be a little off) so, why should anyone be worried about water?

Yes, but do they say that the device should also be on an individual's head at the time? I would be impressed if they did ;)

Yes, but do they say that the device should also be on an individual's head at the time? I would be impressed if they did ;)

If it doesn't damage the device, it doesn't damage the device. It wouldn't matter where it happened to be when it got wet.

They continually say it is fine to wear in the rain and playing in sprinklers, so, I don't see why it wouldn't be a good idea to get it wet.

I feel that there's a bit of difference between a bit of rain / sprinkler, and going swimming/ using it in the shower. But see what Cochlear says, they might surprise me :)

I feel that there's a bit of difference between a bit of rain / sprinkler, and going swimming/ using it in the shower. But see what Cochlear says, they might surprise me :)

swimming is moving water, thus disallowed. pay attention.

swimming is moving water, thus disallowed. pay attention.

Rain and sprinklers are also moving water :hmm: I don't think it's the motion that's important, rather the level of saturation. Would you wear your processor in a Sauna? I'm guessing no, but if you would let me know. Personally, I would be avoiding anything other than unpredictable weather, but that's just me.

Rain and sprinklers are also moving water :hmm: I don't think it's the motion that's important, rather the level of saturation. Would you wear your processor in a Sauna? I'm guessing no, but if you would let me know. Personally, I would be avoiding anything other than unpredictable weather, but that's just me.

the freedom is splash resistant, that is rain or sprinklers. the n5 will be submergable in still water. i thought you worked with or around ci kids, why don't you know this?

You assume that the N5 is available where I live. Thank you but lets not get off topic. You may be curious about me, but I shall make my identity known if and when I'm ready.

Sounds like a troll to me.

Just ignore them and they'll move on. :roll: :roll: :roll:

That just reminded me the time that my son actually sprayed water at me (you know how kids are, they are just trying to have a little summer fun because we were washing car.. he just totally forgot about my implant)

The implant quit working and I had to get replacment for it. we tried to remap it, but the microphone part wasn't working at all but the computer showed processor was working.

i'll look for the link later, but i saw a video on youtube where a dad was showing how he waterproofed his child's CI with one of those food vacuum sealers. Basically, they put the processor and magnet in a vacuum bag, sealed it, and stuck it on. Then they put one of those swimming headbands on to keep it in place.
*EQL*

That would be Drew's dad he used to post here but not around anymore...at least I think it was drew

I'm sure it sounds very muffled if you put it in a sealed tight packaging. I have one, and I might give it a try (no, not in the water, but to see what it sound like)

I have tried it, just using zip loc bag and laid flat under my hat when i went sailing in heavy rain, works okay, little muffled and the rustling annoys a bit but bearable. It will only work if using rechargables.

Waterproof, water resistance, or not I still won't use my CI in fear of Breaking the processor not frying my cochlea!

Back