Nucleus 5 and Water???

Endlessrider

Reaction score
Any one tried it?
Can my daughter shower with it?

Thanks.

I know its waterproof I dunno if you should shower with it tho I mean sprinklers n rain fine but to submerge it in water I don't think is a good idea..it says it can tho..so try? I dunno I'd be scared too if I had one lol

The Nucleus 5 like all other CI external processors are still are not completely waterproof. Showering with all the chemicals, oils and conditioner will gum up the works and the microphone covers can be be pluged up as well. However the Nucleus 5 with the rechargeable battery is likely to survive a trip to the bottom of a swimming pool for a short time. Even if the Nucleus 5 was waterproof I wear a hearing aid on the other ear and I would not take a chance.

Any one tried it?
Can my daughter shower with it?

Thanks.

With disposable batteries it is exactly the same as the Freedom was. With the rechargables it can withstand STILL water for a few minutes. A shower, swimming, etc, is considered moving water, it can't be in moving water.

Why would anyone want to shower with a hearing aid or CI?????????? :hmm:

Exactly!! What is there to hear in water??? just water whilst washing your hair?:roll:

Not worth it risk damaging your processor for!! Silence is good enough :) :giggle:

well the Nucleus 5 is not water resistant it is actually marketed as waterproof on the brochure showing a processor submerged in water....it is safe up to a certain point but not sure what to exactly

My activation day is tomorrow and I'm getting the N5. If I remember I'll ask for details on this. I know I won't be taking a shower or going swimming with mine though. I know enough about electric "gadgets" to know that even when they are "Water proof" it's still not a good idea to trust that. I just view "Water proof" to mean that it's made to be protected against water but not "Made to be used under water". To me it just means that if it happens to get a little wet from rain or sweat it should be able to handle that. But a pin hope crack would be enough to ruine that $50,000+ device. Not worth the risk.

Ron

Ummm, that would be my question as well.

Not sure what the benefit would be.

If we are talking about when swimming in the pool and being with others, well that is a totally different thing.

In any case electronics unless totally sealed, doesn't mix with water period.

Ummm, that would be my question as well.

Not sure what the benefit would be.

If we are talking about when swimming in the pool and being with others, well that is a totally different thing.

In any case electronics unless totally sealed, doesn't mix with water period.

Cochlear says that right now it is "splash resistant" (like the Freedom) but with the rechargable it can be submerged in still water up to a few feet (can't remember how far) for up to 30 minutes. NO swimming, no showers, they are both "moving water".

Right now, it is absolutly no different than the Freedom in water resistance (or technology).

I would never want to accidently drop my ha or even a CI in water or try to test the theory of it being splash resistant..:s lol

Cochlear says that right now it is "splash resistant" (like the Freedom) but with the rechargable it can be submerged in still water up to a few feet (can't remember how far) for up to 30 minutes. NO swimming, no showers, they are both "moving water".

Right now, it is absolutly no different than the Freedom in water resistance (or technology).

You misunderstood me. I quite well understand the N5 CI is not capable of being used in a shower or a pool. This is regardless of the info that Cochlear has hyped.

I meant the motivation of the idea using a CI in water. I couldn't understand why one needed to use a CI in a shower. I could much better understand wanting to use a CI in a pool. From a communication standpoint, the former makes no sense and in the later is obvious.

In any case, neither the Freedom nor the N5 CI can be used in showers or pools...that is a given.

l like the fact I can get peace and quiet by taking the CI off. I love having peace and quiet when I take a shower. I told my family that if there is an emergency to bang on the door and that it had better be a REAL emergency or there will be consequences.

It would be nice to have a CI to swim in but otherwise I don't need waterproof.

From Cochlear website:

The Nucleus 5 Sound Processor is the world’s most water resistant, allowing you to relax around water or play by the pool. With the industry’s only International Protection Ratings of IP443, and IP573 for water resistance, your sound processor can keep up with your active lifestyle.

Source

Not water proof. Water resistant.

Ron

Avoid water contamination as you would with any piece of electrical equipment, but possibly moreso, as it is connected to your childs brain :|

cochlear implant is not connected to a child's brain. And a processor is a totally different from the implant. With all that body fluid around the implant, it is always wet. No worry there. The only worry we have to worry about is the processor quit working because it got wet. But they made sure we don't get electrocuted from it. Just because the processor is on doesn't mean the implant inside our ear will electrocute us if we got the processor wet.

This makes me think you have no idea what you are talking about!

Haha, but why? It is perfectly reasonable to assume that short-circuiting speech processor might produce some rather awful sensations with incorrect stimulation via the implant (if only for a few seconds). Would you stick a malfunctioning processor on? It might do nothing, or it might be unpleasant for a bit, to say the least. I certainly wouldn't want to risk putting my child through that. I've seen plenty of children change their minds very quickly about whether they want to wear their implants after such things, and children can be very stubborn.

Haha, but why? It is perfectly reasonable to assume that short-circuiting speech processor might produce some rather awful sensations with incorrect stimulation via the implant (if only for a few seconds). Would you stick a malfunctioning processor on? It might do nothing, or it might be unpleasant for a bit, to say the least. I certainly wouldn't want to risk putting my child through that. I've seen plenty of children change their minds very quickly about whether they want to wear their implants after such things, and children can be very stubborn.

Because nothing about a CI is connected to the brain. Why would you say that?

How is it that you are involved with deaf children and cochlear implants?

cochlear implant is not connected to a child's brain. And a processor is a totally different from the implant. With all that body fluid around the implant, it is always wet. No worry there. The only worry we have to worry about is the processor quit working because it got wet. But they made sure we don't get electrocuted from it. Just because the processor is on doesn't mean the implant inside our ear will electrocute us if we got the processor wet.

I wasn't implying electrocution, but perhaps I should have made that more clear ;)

Back