NTSB recommends all states for ban on use of cell phones while driving

Jiro, I think you and I are still on same page. Many states already enacted the laws. Try Utah, you won't like their law.

Seriously, in Utah if one gets involved an accident and did talk or text on phone, will result in felony conviction and send guilty driver to jail for 25 years. Their view is that doing this is like shooting guns blindly knowing it might kill somebody. I think it is justified.

The laws on these s

we're on same page? but you were raging on that this law is unenforceable and it's an epic fail.

next time - don't avoid accident. get in accident so they can be criminally charged with it.

my mom got bump in the back by a distracted teenager girl txting on phone. she was charged with it. their insurance paid for my mom's medical expense.

I am not sure I want to incur any medical problems from allowing myself to be deliberately hurt. :(

very simple. 911 has a specific signal. currently - calling 911 does work in phone with no calling plan. cellphone jammer blocks out specific bandwidth regulated by FCC so that means if you know a specific bandwidth, you can still dial out.

No-- law states any phone that used to be or will be must be on a plan to be able to call 911. Didnt matter if you have a phone that you took off the plan and got a new phone- it still can call 911. I try to save all phones that works and leave in car. I just hook up the cigarette plug to phone and glue it in place so it wont fall out and stay charged when car is started. This way if I need to call 911, or have someone call for me, I have a phone regardless if my data phone is with me or not.

No-- law states any phone that used to be or will be must be on a plan to be able to call 911. Didnt matter if you have a phone that you took off the plan and got a new phone- it still can call 911. I try to save all phones that works and leave in car. I just hook up the cigarette plug to phone and glue it in place so it wont fall out and stay charged when car is started. This way if I need to call 911, or have someone call for me, I have a phone regardless if my data phone is with me or not.

that's what I said.

Not surprised, that is why I only see education as the key. I have been seen more stupid people nowadays than it was 40 years ago.

Seriously, I have seen plenty of ignorant drivers thinking that they can get away with it. For instance, temperature hits 32 degrees and there is drizzle. Guess what many drivers do? They don't slow down, hello? Black ice ahead, can't you slow down? Result were I see too many cars flew off the median.

Ban cellphone while driving WILL NOT change the rate on accident.
Why Crash Rates Don’t Automatically Fall with Cellphone Bans | World of Psychology

Not surprised, that is why I only see education as the key. I have been seen more stupid people nowadays than it was 40 years ago.

Seriously, I have seen plenty of ignorant drivers thinking that they can get away with it. For instance, temperature hits 32 degrees and there is drizzle. Guess what many drivers do? They don't slow down, hello? Black ice ahead, can't you slow down? Result were I see too many cars flew off the median.

we're still stupid, still always.

simple - criminally-charge them for reckless driving and more.

If you are driving while texting/talking and cause an accident, insurance rates are going to go up. Higher insurance rates almost always follow an accident, and insurers do not like offering their services to risky or distracted drivers.

I was just watching the CBS Morning Show and they had a consultant for the NTSB on there. They made their case and all and even suggested that all cell phone manufacturers have an app where it disables your phone while moving. Only problem is NO ONE is going to willingly install an app that disables your phone. You have to go apart from something people can't avoid; placing scrambler devices in all model vehicles that is enabled once the vehicle is in drive and reverse, and it turns off once the car is in park. It could be something as simple as a thin piece of a specific kind of metal that has a weak electrical current moving through it that is just enough to stop a cell phone network signal. Or they can use some type of radio frequency to scramble it. I have heard of scramblers being used in prisons, in parts of hospitals where cell phone use is to be restricted and in other places such as theatres that don't want customers distracting other customers with cell phone use during a movie.

The technology is there, we just have to use it. Perhaps such scrambler devices for vehicles can be mandatory in year model 2016 and all vehicles will be required to have it by 2026.

Until this technology becomes mandatory in vehicles as a safety feature, the police will have to aggressively enforce it.

That's just my two cents.

I thought people could use their cell phones for emergencies ,if the phone is be scramble a person can't call 911 if they see a drunk driver on the road or if they're some danger .

This will solve the problem.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9Fxp3HK6DI]Google's Ass-kicking Self-Driving Car - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_lGPRIRG3Y&feature=related]Google Self-Driving Car - Part 1: Outside - YouTube[/ame]

very simple. 911 has a specific signal. currently - calling 911 does work in phone with no calling plan. cellphone jammer blocks out specific bandwidth regulated by FCC so that means if you know a specific bandwidth, you can still dial out.

That is correct. You can dial 911 on many working cell phone without a sim card or an account.

Just the other day, I saw a woman applying makeup to her face while driving on a busy highway.

I agree with this. While I do use my phone while driving, it's usually when I'm at an intersection at a red light... not in busy traffic.

I've almost been hit by cops because they were on their cell phones while driving. I even had an uniformed off-duty cop cut me off at an intersection because he was on his cell phone.

As for the non-police, I've seen people swerve left and right while going slow and being road hogs because they're busy on the phone.

911 has a specific frequency which is why ANY phone whether or not it is active on any cellular network can still dial 9-1-1.

An on-board cell phone jammer/scrambler would basically block out any number EXCEPT 911.

If you have passengers that want to use their cell phones - well, I guess this is a good time for an old-fashioned road trip where you actually have to talk to your driver.

If you can't go a while without checking your phone, you have issues to deal with first before getting behind the wheel. I don't want you texting on your phone and run into me and/or my DD.

It's time to put the phone down and back away slowly...

Ban texting while driving and give up on the talking part unless you want to make it hands free.

Back