Ntid/rit

HelloKittyGal

Reaction score
What is the difference between NTID/RIT?

I have reviewed some of the information from NTID/RIT, and viewed almost their whole website, including their virtual tour.

I went to college for almost 2 years after high school. I left in the Spring quitting all my classes in the end. I have been to a counselor to try to help me out with procrastination and staying focused, but all she suggest are some tips and medication to see if it is ADD. She even thought I had bipolar! It's a crazy thing. She now knows I don't really have that as I don't relate to stories of bipolar behavior. Boy...

Anyway, I left counseling since it was not helping much. The counselor has experience with deaf people and uses sign language, but not for me since I am oral.

Anyway, I have read books and done a lot to try to change, but I hate school. I hate to study. I do well for awhile, then I just do miserable the next quarter, then if I take time off or less classes as I have done, I do well, then do miserably the next quarter. It's a roller coaster!

I read a book, that procrastination may be because of loneliness. It may be true because I don't have an easy time making friends, and when I am home--all I want to do is be online/rest/do my own things.

Someone from NTID/RIT said that I am expected to learn sign language at NTID/RIT. She says that CART (realtime captioning) is something I have to discuss with some director or someone there to see if it will be provided. The problem is that I don't like having interpreters (bad experiences with them) and sometimes I miss things from them.

Here are some questions:

1. Do the professors face the class to make sure we lipread?
2. Is it easy to make friends?

Well, I could have more questions, but I don't any now. Could you share your experience if you are a current student or went there?

I like NTID/RIT more than Gallaudet because I am strictly oral and use a CI (cochlear implant) which is another thing that I like about NTID having an audiology program for CI students too!

I have a problem...we moved to my house almost 2 years ago...first time having a room since a long time and I redecorated it. I am so going to miss my room. Am I going to get over this? I know it's immature, but I really will miss it.

I also don't think that I am ready for college at all. I have blocked that option for awhile because I don't know what I want to do despite countless career assessements.

Well, I'll let you all say your experience.

Let's start with RIT and NTID. RIT is Rochester Institute of Technology. NTID is National Technical Institute for the Deaf.
HelloKittyGal said:
What is the difference between NTID/RIT?
NTID is actually a college under RIT. RIT has 8 colleges: Applied Science & Technology, Business, Computing & Information Sciences, Engineering, Imaging Arts & Sciences, Liberal Arts, National Technical Institute for the Deaf, Science. Every student is considered a RIT student, but are labeled as to what college they are placed under. When it comes to deaf, they tend to label RIT and NTID in 2 ways. If you are majoring in something that's under NTID, you would be considered a NTID student. If you are majoring in something under another college other than NTID, you are considered a RIT student.
HelloKittyGal said:
I have reviewed some of the information from NTID/RIT, and viewed almost their whole website, including their virtual tour.
The website is very huge and can be confusing at times. I'm a student at RIT so I'll be happy to help you through the website or anything else you can. Of course, I'll do this the best I can.
HelloKittyGal said:
I went to college for almost 2 years after high school. I left in the Spring quitting all my classes in the end. I have been to a counselor to try to help me out with procrastination and staying focused, but all she suggest are some tips and medication to see if it is ADD. She even thought I had bipolar! It's a crazy thing. She now knows I don't really have that as I don't relate to stories of bipolar behavior. Boy...
I've experienced the same thing. My VR counselor accused me of being "slow" because of something that happened during my psychological evaluation. (Which I thought was bullshit!) I also went to community college after graduating high school. I ended up working full time and having my file closed with my VR.
HelloKittyGal said:
Anyway, I left counseling since it was not helping much. The counselor has experience with deaf people and uses sign language, but not for me since I am oral.
My previous counselor claimed to be the best and was actually horrible. That's why I closed my case with him because he wasn't doing anything for me. Years later, I found out that there was another VR office 5 minutes away from my house instead of 45 minutes away as that other VR office was. I was assigned a new couselor and she helped me more in 3 months than my previous counselor ever did in 3 years.
HelloKittyGal said:
Anyway, I have read books and done a lot to try to change, but I hate school. I hate to study. I do well for awhile, then I just do miserable the next quarter, then if I take time off or less classes as I have done, I do well, then do miserably the next quarter. It's a roller coaster!
I've been in the same shoes as you. I started community college full-time, but switched to part-time as I worked full-time. I eventually gave up with community college and continued working 2 jobs. I got tired of working on a job like that and decided to finish my education for good. That's when I decided to head to RIT. It's better late than never.
HelloKittyGal said:
I read a book, that procrastination may be because of loneliness. It may be true because I don't have an easy time making friends, and when I am home--all I want to do is be online/rest/do my own things.
When you're at RIT/NTID... you won't be lonely. It's very easy to make friends at RIT/NTID. In my hometown, I only had about 5 friends. Now, I've got over 50 good friends and 500 people I talk to frequently.
HelloKittyGal said:
Someone from NTID/RIT said that I am expected to learn sign language at NTID/RIT. She says that CART (realtime captioning) is something I have to discuss with some director or someone there to see if it will be provided. The problem is that I don't like having interpreters (bad experiences with them) and sometimes I miss things from them.
Who said you had to learn sign language? There are a lot of oral students at RIT/NTID and they do fine. Learning sign language won't really be a problem since a lot of faculty/staff members at NTID tend to talk and sign at the same time. When you meet more people, you'll learn sign as well. It's not really that hard. As for the captioning, they do have something where a person sits next to you and types up everything that the teacher says. Her keyboard is hooked up to a laptop computer that you will be looking at. That's how you'll see what the teacher is saying. They have a few of those, but I don't really see it as a problem. That's something you can talk to RIT about.
HelloKittyGal said:
Here are some questions:

1. Do the professors face the class to make sure we lipread?
2. Is it easy to make friends?
Since a lot of students at RIT are deaf, a lot of teachers have learned to face the front when giving their lecture. Some of them have even taken the time to understand how things work with deaf so they know to speak clearly when on a one-on-one basis with deaf students. I have deaf friends who aren't oral, but they can understand those teachers pretty well without an interpreter. As for making friends, I've already mentioned that above... it's very easy. There are a lot of organizations on campus that you can be involved with. There are a lot of events that take place throughout the year. There are 9 food areas across campus. One of them is just across the courtyard from the major deaf dorms. You're sure to meet a lot of people there.
HelloKittyGal said:
Well, I could have more questions, but I don't any now. Could you share your experience if you are a current student or went there?
Feel free to ask me more questions. As for my experience, I've got a lot of experience at RIT/NTID. I've been and am involved with two organizations. I've worked with over 20 organizations on campus and attended parties almost every week. I entered RIT during December 1999 and am soon done since I have 8 credits and 3 co-op to deal with. The dorms are a very friendly place to be in. There are a lot of students walking around and everything is close to each other. If you ever visit RIT, look me up and I'll be happy to give you a tour! :)
HelloKittyGal said:
I like NTID/RIT more than Gallaudet because I am strictly oral and use a CI (cochlear implant) which is another thing that I like about NTID having an audiology program for CI students too!
Did you know that there's a CI club at NTID? There's something you could do there. Yes, RIT/NTID sounds like a good place for you to go since you're more oral and associated with hearing people.
HelloKittyGal said:
I have a problem...we moved to my house almost 2 years ago...first time having a room since a long time and I redecorated it. I am so going to miss my room. Am I going to get over this? I know it's immature, but I really will miss it.
Don't feel bad. I used to have my own apartment for 2 years before giving it up to move back in with my parents for a few months before moving again to RIT. I've been living in the dorms for the last 4 years and I'm already used to it. I am looking forward to moving out when I graduate. When you come, the years will fly by really fast and you'll be out before you even know it. You probably won't even miss your old home when you get here! ;)
HelloKittyGal said:
I also don't think that I am ready for college at all. I have blocked that option for awhile because I don't know what I want to do despite countless career assessements.
RIT provides special co-op programs as part of specific degrees. Some majors require 0 co-op, some require 1, 2, 3, or 5. For Information Technology, I'm required to take 3 co-op. If you're in engineering, you're required to take 5 co-op. Most Liberal Arts majors require only 1 or 0 co-op. There are also a lot of places around here that have good job opportunities that you can grab.
HelloKittyGal said:
Well, I'll let you all say your experience.
Well, I hope my LONG response helped you with your understanding of RIT/NTID. If you have any questions, let me know or IM me at VamPyroX69. :thumb:

Hi, thanks. It's better to talk to someone than a worker from NTID/RIT. She made it seem like it's hard to get a captioner and that I have to talk to someone special about it. She was hearing impaired herself.

What about homework? I have a difficult time doing my homework in one sitting. I start then give up....it's hard to keep my motivation for 2 quarters straight. It lasts about 1 and a half quarter the next, then it just plumets. How is homework gonna make it easier?

I was going to talk to someone on the site where you can talk to CI implantees, but I didn't because I didn't know if they would respond. I wanted to know about speech and auditory therapies which is what I want that's important to keep up.

I am thinking of taking a break for awhile, then I'll reconsider the NTID/RIT program, but would like to continue learning about them.

How many times do you get to go home?

I also read that you can try out new technologies in like the library? Technologies to help you in the workplace, I thought that was very neat.

I read some posts in here about the CI club. That's also really neat. Are there swimming clubs? I am not a swimmer, but I'd like to become one to be physically fit. It sounds like fun. It's okay if they don't have it, but I am curious!

HelloKittyGal said:
Hi, thanks. It's better to talk to someone than a worker from NTID/RIT. She made it seem like it's hard to get a captioner and that I have to talk to someone special about it. She was hearing impaired herself.
I understand what you mean. Perhaps, a visit would be good before you explore your options.
HelloKittyGal said:
What about homework? I have a difficult time doing my homework in one sitting. I start then give up....it's hard to keep my motivation for 2 quarters straight. It lasts about 1 and a half quarter the next, then it just plumets. How is homework gonna make it easier?
Homework usually depends on your major. I'm majoring in Information Technology and have a very good cumulative GPA. I've almost never read any books and I usually do my homework the night before it's due. Of course, it will be different with everyone. They do offer tutoring and notetakers so it should be easier for you. There are over 10 computer labs across campus so you should be able to find a different scenic setting for doing your homework. What's your major?
HelloKittyGal said:
I was going to talk to someone on the site where you can talk to CI implantees, but I didn't because I didn't know if they would respond. I wanted to know about speech and auditory therapies which is what I want that's important to keep up.
There is a growing number of students who have CIs or are oral. I have a few friends who have CIs too so I could probably answer a few questions for you after talking with them. Like I said earlier, they have a CI club where you can meet other students with CIs as well.
HelloKittyGal said:
I am thinking of taking a break for awhile, then I'll reconsider the NTID/RIT program, but would like to continue learning about them.
Take your time. It's better late than never. You can even transfer to RIT during Winter or Spring... doesn't have to be during the Fall. :thumb:
HelloKittyGal said:
How many times do you get to go home?
I have many opportunities of going home. However, I usually go home during Christmas Break. RIT provides 5 official breaks during the school year. The first is a 1-week break during Thanksgiving which is between Fall Quarter and Winter Quarter. The second is a 2-week break during Christmas and New Years. The third is a 1-week break (Spring Break) between Winter Quarter and Spring Quareter. The fourth and fifth are 2-week breaks between Spring Quarter and Summer quarter plus between Summer Quarter and Fall Quarter. You can check our upcoming calendar and get an idea of what our school schedule is like.

http://www.rit.edu/~930www/Proj/Calendar/04_05_Calendar.html

We follow the quarterly system instead of semesters so you'll have 10 weeks of school instead of 15 to 16 weeks. I think it's nice cuz we get things done quicker.
HelloKittyGal said:
I also read that you can try out new technologies in like the library? Technologies to help you in the workplace, I thought that was very neat.
Yep, that's very true. They actually have computer labs in almost every building on campus. They have a computer lab for students who are Art majors. They have a computer lab for students who are Engineering majors. The list goes on and on. Those labs already provide computers with software for that deparment and major. My favorite lab is the one with 100 computers... :eek:
HelloKittyGal said:
I read some posts in here about the CI club. That's also really neat. Are there swimming clubs? I am not a swimmer, but I'd like to become one to be physically fit. It sounds like fun. It's okay if they don't have it, but I am curious!
I'm sure you can find a club for anything. RIT has over 140 clubs. They also have over 25 Greek organizations as well. You can check them out here:

http://campuslife.rit.edu/clubs/list_club.php

Maybe, you can find something there! :thumb:

Let me know if you have more questions... :thumb:

What's your major?

I have changed majors 3 times.

1. Medical Lab Technology (4 years)
2. Environmental Lab Technology (2 years)
3. Forensic Lab Technology (2 years, but needs at least a Masters to get into that specific field, but could get into other Labs such as chemical etc because of the skills...quiet stupid but true).

My college was run on a quarterly basis, so I know the system should be better than semesters : D

It's all science, and I couldn't get myself to decide where I wanted to go despite many readings about it. Also have a hard time getting to study all the little crap in biology. I think it's an interesting field or though so at first, but then I am discouraged because I didn't really take my studying seriously. I worry about making the wrong decisions. Would I be under RIT or NTID?

I have no money to go to New York, but when I do and go around there, I'd like to go and tour it. I'd need to go somewhere where I'll be happy not miserable all the time.

Thanks for the link...are you considering moving out of NY or going elsewhere to find a job? Near your parents or some other far away state?

HelloKittyGal said:
I have changed majors 3 times.

1. Medical Lab Technology (4 years)
2. Environmental Lab Technology (2 years)
3. Forensic Lab Technology (2 years, but needs at least a Masters to get into that specific field, but could get into other Labs such as chemical etc because of the skills...quiet stupid but true).

My college was run on a quarterly basis, so I know the system should be better than semesters : D

It's all science, and I couldn't get myself to decide where I wanted to go despite many readings about it. Also have a hard time getting to study all the little crap in biology. I think it's an interesting field or though so at first, but then I am discouraged because I didn't really take my studying seriously. I worry about making the wrong decisions. Would I be under RIT or NTID?

I have no money to go to New York, but when I do and go around there, I'd like to go and tour it. I'd need to go somewhere where I'll be happy not miserable all the time.

Thanks for the link...are you considering moving out of NY or going elsewhere to find a job? Near your parents or some other far away state?
RIT has a lot of majors similar to those... I think.

I don't know what I will do. I might move back to Texas after graduating or stay for a masters degree. :dunno:

The problem is that I don't like having interpreters (bad experiences with them) and sometimes I miss things from them.
HKG, maybe you just had really bad interpreters. Like people who weren't totally qualified or well trained for the job. In areas with high deaf populations the quality of the 'terps tends to rise dramaticly.
Who said you had to learn sign language? There are a lot of oral students at RIT/NTID and they do fine. Learning sign language won't really be a problem since a lot of faculty/staff members at NTID tend to talk and sign at the same time. When you meet more people, you'll learn sign as well. It's not really that hard
Yes, many if not most oral as kids deaf DO eventually pick up ASL as a second language. You'll find yourself in good company being a new signer. And it's not really true that Deaf look down on oral deaf. Well some do (the Deafer then thou types) but as long as you keep an open mind and don't act condensendingly to Deaf people (ie "I'm better then you b/c I can speak" type attitude) you'll be welcomed with open arms. Remember a very high percentage of those who identify as Deaf grew up oral!
As for friendships....I'm the same way. Here at home I have people who I'm friendly with (I'm the type of person who everyone knows) but no real close friends. At college (even thou I attend a mainstream college) I have many close friends and tons of people I'm friendly with. Many oral deaf (including superstars) have trouble with social skills (sematic-pragmatic language defict) and a big part of the reason why so many of us drift towards Deaf culture is b/c we feel/felt like we didn't have too many friends mainstream wise. The Deaf culture is a wonderful source of friends!

The one thing is that I am not looking to become Deaf (capital D). I know that it is going to be impossible for me to become that. I am more like Heather Whitestone. She signs, meets deaf people, but isn't Deaf. Their ideas do not match my values. I want to be able to make friends with those that are alike to me. It's not the communication, it's the relation that I could find because they would know how I feel, and I will know theirs. They also know that we have a hard time understanding certain people in the hearing community which the deaf knows how to adapt to the deaf.

I want to be able to leave NTID/RIT to use the skills I learned and incorporate it into the real world. I am not looking to stay in a bed of comfort as some Deaf do because that's not going to serve me well once I am out in the real world where I don't see deaf anywhere unless you seek them out about 45 minutes. I want to take those skills and try to make friends in the place that I am destined to be which is--the real world--the world that's not Utopia.

Do you learn ASL or sign language such as PSE/SEE? ASL is a bit harder for me to understand, and because I don't use sign language, I don't sign smoothly. Fingerspelling is hard if it's fast.

I am glad to know some of the things you've seen such as oralist having difficult social skills. Yeah, it was not that difficult as a child, but when I first had my interpreter in junior high, things just changed--it was never the same again, so I lost my social skills. I do not like depending on them. It just doesn't click well.

This is why I am interested in looking into NTID/RIT because it has both world, not the world that doesn't exist in my world--Gallaudet.

Last edited:
HelloKittyGal said:
The one thing is that I am not looking to become Deaf (capital D). I know that it is going to be impossible for me to become that. I am more like Heather Whitestone. She signs, meets deaf people, but isn't Deaf. Their ideas do not match my values. I want to be able to make friends with those that are alike to me. It's not the communication, it's the relation that I could find because they would know how I feel, and I will know theirs. They also know that we have a hard time understanding certain people in the hearing community which the deaf knows how to adapt to the deaf.
That's up to you. You don't have to let that happen to you. I'm oral myself, but I do not wear CIs. There are a lot of oral students at RIT so you'll be able to find others like yourself. There are some deaf students who take a lot of pride in "Deaf Culture"... but it doesn't mean that you have to follow it. I think the "Deaf Culture" thing is kinda stupid too so I just avoid them.
HelloKittyGal said:
I want to be able to leave NTID/RIT to use the skills I learned and incorporate it into the real world. I am not looking to stay in a bed of comfort as some Deaf do because that's not going to serve me well once I am out in the real world where I don't see deaf anywhere unless you seek them out about 45 minutes. I want to take those skills and try to make friends in the place that I am destined to be which is--the real world--the world that's not Utopia.
RIT/NTID does that for you. RIT provides help with finding jobs. When you are looking for co-op, they can give you a complete listing of jobs that they have from anywhere related to your major.
HelloKittyGal said:
Do you learn ASL or sign language such as PSE/SEE? ASL is a bit harder for me to understand, and because I don't use sign language, I don't sign smoothly. Fingerspelling is hard if it's fast.
RIT provides interpreters in ASL, SEE, and PSE. I'm PSE. I grew up with SEE but started using a bit of ASL after I graduated high school. I understand ASL better than I can sign it. I'm sure you can do the same if you give it a try.
HelloKittyGal said:
I am glad to know some of the things you've seen such as oralist having difficult social skills. Yeah, it was not that difficult as a child, but when I first had my interpreter in junior high, things just changed--it was never the same again, so I lost my social skills. I do not like depending on them. It just doesn't click well.
You don't have to lose your social skills here at RIT. I attend oral parties from time to time. I have friends who are oral and they prefer to date other oral gals. Sometimes, they complain that they wish that there were more oral gals out there. If you come, that might make him happy! ;)
HelloKittyGal said:
This is why I am interested in looking into NTID/RIT because it has both world, not the world that doesn't exist in my world--Gallaudet.
Well, hurry on over!

Well VamPyrox, you're an easy going guy about hearing loss and NTID/RIT. Thanks for your information. I'll PM or whatever if I have further questions :D

HKG, Not all people who identify as Deaf are the anti-hearie separatist Deaf extremist types. Many of us have completely different beliefs from the extremists but still ID as Deaf. Refusing to learn Sign and learn about the deaf-world and parcipitate in the whole Deaf experiance, is like refusing to identify as Christian b/c of extremists like the Ku Klux Klan or Christian Idenity.
There are all sorts of schools of Deaf thought. Sign is a great tool (just as speech is a great tool)

I'd rather mingle with Deaf that are open than the militants. I don't think that Christian being open to KKK is a good analogy. I know the KKK is pure crap, so I don't even need to be open to them. What would be the point? KKK and Deaf militants are haters.

I'd rather mingle with Deaf that are open than the militants.
As would I. Just remember Deaf does not equal militant. I know it's hard to remember that sometimes, but most open Deaf are more like the people here. There are loads of people who ID as Deaf but who wear hearing aids and speak well! Not all of us are radical militants (and I would bet that a majority of those radical militants are ex-orals who think they're making a statement.)
I don't think that Christian being open to KKK is a good analogy. I know the KKK is pure crap, so I don't even need to be open to them. What would be the point? KKK and Deaf militants are haters.
What I meant is that KKK is an extreme form of Christianity, the way that Deaf militantcy is an extreme form of Deafness or that Nation of Islam or Osama bin Ladinist Islam are an extreme form of Islam.
Yes, there are always plenty of kids with oral skills at postsecondary schools for the deaf....and as a matter of fact twenty-something years ago about 30% of hard of hearing kids were also learning Sign in their formal educational process.....and actually believe it or not there are still many Hoh kids (even kids who only have unilateral losses) going to schools for the Deaf or learning Sign in their formal educational process.

VamPyrox - I'm curious is it possible to request a catalogue from RIT or RIT/NTID? I've been over at the RIT.edu site looking for that info.

Brian said:
VamPyrox - I'm curious is it possible to request a catalogue from RIT or RIT/NTID? I've been over at the RIT.edu site looking for that info.
You can email them and request a catalog... I think.

Back