Not a paerenting thread - Autism thread

Wirelessly posted

I'd be cautious about tactile sign because it involve physical touching which some autistic dont like. Try buying him educational toys like puzzles he might like that. And since communication isnt there, I agree about using pecs.

I have a 5 year old son with Autism and i would be glad to help you out anytime you want.

My son has less then 50 words and right now is using an Iphone with a communication app as his communication device till we get an ipad. It has been wonderful for him.

My son does know some sign, but he has a history in regression in speech. If he learns the word he will forget the sign.. or vise versa.. and even if he does sign the word once.. he may never sign it again. Not sure why it works that way but it does.
and signing is not too easy for him because his fine motor skills well.. SUCK ..

Watched some ABA therapy do 'ok' with an 80 lb 4-year old.

He was much better connected to me because I think/react on his wavelength sometimes and 'normal' wavelength sometimes.

Ever noticed the correlation between autism and either vision impairment, body structure in terms of muscle mass and skeletal size (large body structure/tiny body structure) or both?

Wirelessly posted

uhh no I dont see any correlation with anything about autistic people just behavior and thought process is similiar

Ever noticed the correlation between autism and either vision impairment, body structure in terms of muscle mass and skeletal size (large body structure/tiny body structure) or both?
There is an autism syndrome where kids have sight loss, and perfect pitch...like they are musical savants....and some of the features you note might be related to a previously unidentifyed syndrome.

Wirelessly posted

uhh no I dont see any correlation with anything about autistic people just behavior and thought process is similiar

There is an autism syndrome where kids have sight loss, and perfect pitch...like they are musical savants....and some of the features you note might be related to a previously unidentifyed syndrome.

Just working in ;the' field (Tutor, PK to Adult) and myself also as an example I see a correlation - I am wondering if I am alone in noticing this, seeing a pattern that is there that nobody else sees or one that doesn't exist at all... :-o

Sorry for side tracking the thread.

As far as tactile signing try it and if he likes it continue both tactile and non-tactile, if he hates it quit.

A friend of mine had his son diagnosed with autism several weeks ago. He wants me to take care of his son 2 days a week, and I recently took care of him. He isn't a handful, he is about 10 handfuls. Getting on to him for bad behaviour like you would any other child will not work. I learned that quickly.

He is "ok" with me, he knows I am "safe". When he starts to get aggressive and have a tantrum, I will pick him up and hold him and he calms down. I don't send him to a corner or a room. He is 4 years old.

He has trouble communicating what he wants, when he is told to do something he just shouts angrily "go away" and will push you away. Then the next minute, he is smiling and friendly.

Any pointers? His dad (my friend) wants to see if I can communicate with him with sign and wants me to just spend some time with him. He seems to be more calm when I am around because I don't pressure him and I just let him be.

Any change in his routine, or when someone is around he doesn't know, he flips out and breaks down.

I have a severe form of autism... feel free to contact me with any questions.

I have worked with children and adults with autism ranging from very mild to severe. All of them have different needs so try to find out what this boy's needs are and meet them to the best of your ability.

However, one common factor that I have noticed with almost (the key word here is almost) all of them need structure and their routines. They have difficulty coping with any changes in their routines but that doesnt mean you have to keep an extremely strict routine but providing a stable structure is very important.

However, as one poster here mentioned that he/she has a severe form of autism so I would take that person's word over any of us who dont have it despite our years of experience. Only the ones who lived their lives with it are the only ones who truly know.

Good luck!

Back