Not a disability. . . Right?

SuperGrrl04

Reaction score
Hey everyone :)

Another teensy poll typd thing. Mainly because I'm curious.

For those of you that are deaf, are you offended when someone refers to deafness as a disability? do you just figure they don't understand, and probably will not? Or would you like to punch them and explain it's not a disability? :lol:
I personally don't think it's a disability, but I would like everyone else's thoughts!

I'm more curious, please share your thoughts :) thanks :wave:

Well what's wrong with being disabled? People tend to translate disabilty into inabilty, but all most physical disabilty is, is simply a difference. People also tend to equate disabilty with being unhealthy or sick, but someone with a disabilty can be just as healthy as someone without a disabilty.

deafdyke said:
Well what's wrong with being disabled? People tend to translate disabilty into inabilty, but all most physical disabilty is, is simply a difference. People also tend to equate disabilty with being unhealthy or sick, but someone with a disabilty can be just as healthy as someone without a disabilty.

:werd:

I completely agree with you, here. Case in point:

My sister and I. She was born without any physical disability whatsoever, yet, she was also colicky as a baby, and she was a very sickly child growing up. Conversely, I was born with spina bifida and I spent a good bit of my childhood with things realted to that. But, I was a relatively healthy child despite this. Once I had my tonsils and adenoids out, I rarely saw the pediatrician.

As adults, this really bears out. Now, I rarely visit the doctor for colds or the flu; whereas, my sister is always in the doctor's office.

LOL.......Oceanbreeze. I too am incredibily healthy. I NEVER see my GP, to the point when we filed for disabilty, he came in (he works at my mom's work) and my mom told him what we were doing, and mentioned that we were gonna have to get documention from my GP....He looked at us and was like "Who's Deafdyke's GP?" :laugh2: :mrgreen:

If we are considered disabled, then why not get a handicapped parking permit? I considered myself deaf but as a disability? Nah, cuz I am able to physically perform the same functions as hearings except hearing part.

The only thing that bothers me is how the government determine how disabled we are, especially applying for SSI, SSD, etc? I am usually declined because I am "not deaf enough" meaning I'm not that disabled in the hearing/deaf department?

Being deaf is considered as having a disability. However, how you accept your disability is up to you. There are others out there with a serious disability that affects their major life activities in many ways, more so than it may for deaf people. I've been deaf since birth, and I acknowledge I have a disability, but I in no way let that stop me from doing all that I want to do, and accept what I may not be able to do (e.g. sing in tune). There are many people who are ignorant of others with disabilities and it shows, and those are the very people I choose not to have as a part of my life.

deaf24fan said:
If we are considered disabled, then why not get a handicapped parking permit? I considered myself deaf but as a disability? Nah, cuz I am able to physically perform the same functions as hearings except hearing part.

The only thing that bothers me is how the government determine how disabled we are, especially applying for SSI, SSD, etc? I am usually declined because I am "not deaf enough" meaning I'm not that disabled in the hearing/deaf department?

Okay .. I'm going to be blunt here, and I apologize in advance for that. You said "Nah ..." in that you don't consider yourself with a disability. If you really don't consider yourself disabled, then why are you even applying for SSI or SSD in the first place? (Unless you're applying for a reason other than your deafness? I didn't get that impression as you said you were declined for not being "deaf enough.")

Back