North texas dfw area

Dallas.M

Reaction score
:wave: I am looking to make a deaf friend or two. I am hearing but currently learning ASL and really enjoying it. I would like to make a deaf friend that i could meet with and drink coffee and chat. This would be beneficial to my studies. I'm 18 years old and live in Garland near Wylie. Anyone live around me?

I don't live up in dfw anymore. You can hit up a deaf church like NLDF the drive would most likely be worth it. There are plenty of deaf coffee chats going on and there is also DFW DPHH.

See I have thought about going to a coffee chat but to my understanding many aren't very understanding to those of us who are learning ASL and liken it to speaking to a child. And I understand that but not a very inviting atmosphere for someone who is just learning.

Is this true?

Yes and No. It can happen but at the same time it can all work out. It all depends on who will show up and if they are all anti-student or welcoming. I don't mind it when students come to the socials, what pisses me off is when they try to correct me if I sign something in a different way (like pizza or whatever).

Basically instead of asking them, "oh what's the sign for this word", just try to talk with them and tell a story or just listen to them talk. If that is too much for you just watch them from a distance and keep your mouth shut. Hee hee

How could I not ask them how to sign some words. I'm learning and holding a full conversation is still a challenge without some help, it's how I am learning the more I interact with the lab assistants and they teach me the more I learn.

There is one on uptown Dallas, they're huge and well friendly. Some aren't patient. lol

Back