Non-signing Hearing Partners?

Would you date/marry a hearing person that didn't sign?

• Yes

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • No

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Maybe, it depends

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • I would never date a hearing person

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I talk more than I sign. Soooo..... yeah. I would marry a woman that talks.

Sign language for me is used when absolutely necessary.

Hello, everyone!

One of my Deaf friends recently married a hearing man who she had been dating for 5 years. He does not sign. I believe he knows a few basic signs, but he normally talks and she lipreads and listens with her CI.

When I found out about this, I was shocked. I am hearing and my fiancé is Deaf. I didn't know sign when I had first met him, but now I'm fluent. I always thought that in hearing-deaf relationships, the hearing person would learn sign (if that was their partner's first language/preferred method of communication). However, my fiancé changed my opinion about them, saying, "The way they communicate works for them. They're happy so there's no reason to judge."

For all of you Deaf people out there: would you be comfortable dating/being married to a hearing person that did not sign? Why?

I am profound deaf. I lost my hearing very quickly. I have been dating hearing men who will not even try to learn to sign. Oh the only signs I see is booking signs...lol. They refuse to try to learn sign. I won't be with a man who refuses to try to learn a way that we can communicate. I tried to explain to a couple of hearing guys that we deaf communicate with our eyes n hands not with our ears. It's very hard to be with someone who won't even try.

I'm HoH and yes, I would, as long as they were patient with me and not ableist - I.e. willing to repeat themselves or speak up when I need it. I have enough hearing left that we'd be able to communicate reasonably well, and I also became HoH as an adult so I don't know how to sign either

My hearing husband doesnt know sign so the only way we can communicate is through texting or email.

Back