Non-deaf dating sites

Muffinator

Reaction score
Dating websites that aren't specifically for deaf people: Do you use them? How easy is it to find someone who isn't prejudiced? At what point in the process do you disclose the fact that you're deaf? Any success stories?

Dating websites that aren't specifically for deaf people: Do you use them? How easy is it to find someone who isn't prejudiced? At what point in the process do you disclose the fact that you're deaf? Any success stories?

I have used them. I have found there are less scam artist on those sites compared to deaf sites. However, there an not very many other deaf on those sites as well so it is much harder to date deaf.

Prejudiced is a strong word. For whatever reason people choose not to date someone(and there are many), it would be prudent to know if that were an issue first. In other words, it's good to weed out those who don't want to date deaf.

I've found that if you put in you are deaf first you don't get as much interaction(This is more true for men than women, women put a higher premium on communication than men). I believe this is likely due to people not understanding the range of people who are deaf and their differences.
I do put in my profile that I wear an aid and it does lessen the call volume. On the other hand, people who wish to go out don't have phone expectations up front so that is a plus. My opinion is that if you can talk on the phone, don't bring it up until you meet. If you can't talk on the phone, the issue will be forced if you don't disclose it.

I don't know what your view of success is so I can't comment on what you think is successful. I have had good relationships and for me that's success. If you are searching for happliy ever after, that's a pretty high bar to set.

It's a good tool. I wouldn't use it exclusively. You should be out there looking for people in real life as well.

My thought is to be upfront from the start. I've never used a dating site, but if men were to reject me because of my hearing loss or that I wear HAs, then they're not worth being with. I would not enter a relationship under false pretenses. What if somebody you met online had something you didn't care for and weren't told right away? Everyone has their particulars. Wouldn't you feel just as deceived? My husband knew right from the start that I was deaf (and that was in person). If he chose to not want to pursue me further because of that, his loss.

Men don't reject women for hearing loss. Hearing loss isn't a big issue for men.

I was a friend party and the guy was hitting on me by whispering in my ear and I did not hear him. He asked my friend what was wrong with and she said I HOH and the guy did not come and tried to talk to me. It was big deal to that guy . I dated men that did not care but there will always be at least one guy that does not want to date a deaf or hoh woman. It was that way with me.

I was a friend party and the guy was hitting on me by whispering in my ear and I did not hear him. He asked my friend what was wrong with and she said I HOH and the guy did not come and tried to talk to me. It was big deal to that guy . I dated men that did not care but there will always be at least one guy that does not want to date a deaf or hoh woman. It was that way with me.

I'm sorry that happened, but you are speculating that the deafness was the actual issue. You can't read the guy's mind. He might have just felt he didn't know how to communicate with you well enough to talk to you.

The mechanics of the situation is more of an issue than the actual deafness in the majority of the cases. This a barrier we are all trying to break down.

I'm sorry that happened, but you are speculating that the deafness was the actual issue. You can't read the guy's mind. He might have just felt he didn't know how to communicate with you well enough to talk to you.

The mechanics of the situation is more of an issue than the actual deafness in the majority of the cases. This a barrier we are all trying to break down.

I am hoh of and I can hear people talking to me, my friend might had said I was deaf and that is incorrect . So the guy did reject me for being hoh. I did not care him, I am just saying that some men do find being deaf or hoh an issue.

I am hoh of and I can hear people talking to me, my friend might had said I was deaf and that is incorrect . So the guy did reject me for being hoh. I did not care him, I am just saying that some men do find being deaf or hoh an issue.

Let me suggest something for you to mull over: Why not say you are deaf and let Life take care of the rest......? Seems to me it is a whole lot easier than splitting hairs on the degree of loss.....

I don't think it matters if you are hoh, deaf, or hearing. I remember standing in the check out after getting burned in a relationship. Those tabloids in the checkouts had beautiful, successful actresses on the covers who were dumped, brokenhearted, and couldn't find someone decent. I thought, "If those women who seemly have it all have the same problems I'm having, it's not me."

What I learned is what matters is confidence. You are fabulous just the way you are whatdidyouday!.

If a guy is not willing to put in the effort it's, NEXT! It's more than his loss, it's a waste of your time.

Back