Non-Deaf children who sign.......

Rose Immortal said:
It seems to me that if he learns PSE, he can learn ASL later.

Generally speaking it's actually easier to learn ASL first and then contact sign and/or signed English later, assuming you also know English. It's easier to learn the rules of ASL along with the vocabulary, and then later plug the signs into an English word order, so to speak. Otherwise you end up having to break a lot of "Englishy" signing habits when you learn ASL.

This is a generalization, though, not a recommendation for these kids necessarily.

Well if I were you, I'd teach them in SEE, but in their level of understanding. So that way when they grow up in mainstream school in hearing classes, they will not have a problem writing in English and a conversation with hearing person. But if you teach them in ASL, they'll keep their old habit. Old habit dies hard...

Interpretrator said:
Generally speaking it's actually easier to learn ASL first and then contact sign and/or signed English later, assuming you also know English. It's easier to learn the rules of ASL along with the vocabulary, and then later plug the signs into an English word order, so to speak. Otherwise you end up having to break a lot of "Englishy" signing habits when you learn ASL.

This is a generalization, though, not a recommendation for these kids necessarily.

Interpretrator,

I agree with you. Unfortunately, the majority of deaf children do not have a native ASL model. That is the reality, a workable, doable solution needs to be implemented.

loml said:
Unfortunately, the majority of deaf children do not have a native ASL model. That is the reality

I totally agree. (And is why I won't interpret for K-12.)

loml said:
a workable, doable solution needs to be implemented.

Which ideally would include a native ASL model. :)

Please note I wasn't offering a solution, just making a generalization.

My hearing daughters learned ASL since four/six months old and are very successful with their written English . They have very good receptive eyes and they can understand when d/Deaf people use ASL. Communication is a key for those d/Deaf children and hearing children that helps a lot more than you think. ;)

I did taking my responsibility to teach my two hearing children ASL. I have watched everything how they processed to learn with their own visual eyes first before speak. It works so well for them to understand the concept of langauge before English language. I am proud of what I had accomplished for my hearing children 's best interest and given them to accomplish their own reading and creation of writing that they read the books at 3 years old on their own. I am d/Deaf mother and Grandmother who knows the best, too so therefore I was a deaf child as well as I know what it s alike to be deaf not just Hearing parents who are ignorant and dont know what it s alike to be deaf.

Ears does not think but Brain does.

Loml is hearing and thinks she knows it all after all she isnt deaf.

Thank you!
Sweetmind

ClearSky said:
That's a tough issue because since the child can hear I am not sure if not signing perfect but speaking well will not really affect his writing skills later on. I guess it really doesn't matter with hearing kids. The key to consider is if not signing perfect will affect his writing skills in school even though he is hearing. It may not, so if it doesn't then I guess PSE is the right one. Just make sure you voice at the same time, so he gets the clue.

Do you voice normal sentences while you sign simple words? I am really not sure if relying on what the majority uses is the best way to base your decision on a specific child. If you do voice normal sentences, then I am thinking voicing English while signing ASL might be hard.

This child can hear. He perceives and processes language as an auditory stimulus--quite differently than the deaf child. His problem is with expressive language. Because he uses receptive language the same way a hearing child would, he understands the grammatical structure of English. That is what he is exposed to. For the Deaf child, ASL is the best option because they process language--both receptive and expressive--in a visual mode. ASL is a language that paints a picture, you understand it by seeing it. English is a language that describes the picture. This child can hear the description. He only needs visable language to express himself, not to uderstand others.

^Angel^ said:
It never tired me... :dunno:

Sure makes me tired! I don't even like to think in English when I am communicating in ASL. It's confusing!! :dunno:

though..

this involves a hearing child, this subject is always going to initate a controversy.

Back